Good beginner scorpions?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been keeping arachnids for a while now, but I have not kept a scorpion. The one thing keeping me from getting an Emp is the heating part of it. I am not able to provide outside heat with a mat or the like because my family is not comfortable with an electrical appliance on 24/7 because of fire hazards. So I would like to know if there are any good beginner scorpions that do not need any extra heat provided for them. Thanks.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Any scorpion is good for a beginner who has researched a lot before buying them and does not plan to handle it.

If you do plan to handle, emperor scorpions, flat rocks and asian forest scorps are nice

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Any scorpion is good for a beginner who has researched a lot before buying them and does not plan to handle it.
If you do plan to handle, emperor scorpions, flat rocks and asian forest scorps are nice
I have no plans to handle, but what I am looking for is one that does not need supplemental heat. I know emperor scorpions need it, and I want to know which ones DON'T so I can have them. I don't even think you read what I put buddy.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
If you can find a Uroctonus mordax or some Centruroides vittatus, they should do ok without heat.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Sorry about that, just woke up and i was dropping deuce when i posted that so basically just read thru your title, the first sentence and the last sentence. Again, i apologize.

Mesobuthus caucasicus
Mesobuthus eupeus
Mesobuthus martensii
Euscorpius mingrelicus

If available, doesn't usually require supplemental heating or overnight heating for that matter

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Most of those species are hard to find un the U.S. Also, the Mesobuthus sp. don't have a weak venom that most beginners like.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks shredderemp and tongue flicker.I'll be sure to research these guys and see if I can find one. I am very new to the scorpion hobby, and since I have not heard of these species, I would just like to ask if they all have mild venom. if anyone in my family finds out that an animal i have is packing some heat they will destroy them on the spot. so I just want to be sure that they're basically harmless.

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
California scorpions:
California

Buthidae

Centruroides
Centruroides sculpturatus Ewing
Isometrus
Isometrus maculatus (DeGeer)
Iuridae

Anuroctonus
Anuroctonus pococki pococki Soleglad & Fet
Hadrurus
Hadrurus arizonensis arizonensis Ewing
Hadrurus arizonensis "pallidus" color morph
Hadrurus obscurus Williams (TE)
Hadrurus spadix Stahnke
Superstitioniidae

Superstitionia
Superstitionia donensis Stahnke
Vaejovidae

Paruroctonus
Paruroctonus arenicola nudipes Haradon (TE)
Paruroctonus baergi (Williams & Hadley)
Paruroctonus bantai bantai (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Paruroctonus bantai saratoga Haradon (TE)
Paruroctonus becki (Gertsch & Allred)
Paruroctonus boreus (Girard)
Paruroctonus borregoensis borregoensis Williams (TE)
Paruroctonus hirsutipes Haradon
Paruroctonus luteolus (Gertsch & Soleglad) (T)
Paruroctonus maritimus Williams (TE)
Paruroctonus marksi Haradon (TE)
Paruroctonus shulovi shulovi (Williams) (T)
Paruroctonus shulovi nevadae Haradon
Paruroctonus silvestrii (Borelli) (TE)
Paruroctonus simulatus Haradon (T)
Paruroctonus variabilis Hjelle (TE)
Paruroctonus xanthus (Gertsch & Soleglad) (T)
Pseudouroctonus
Pseudouroctonus andreas (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus angelenus (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus bogerti (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus glimmei (Hjelle) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus iviei (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus minimus minimus (Kraepelin) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus minimus castaneus (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus minimus thompsoni (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Pseudouroctonus williamsi (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Serradigitus
Serradigitus deserticola (Williams) (TE)
Serradigitus gertschi gertschi (Williams) (TE)
Serradigitus gertschi striatus (Hjelle) (TE)
Serradigitus gramenestris (Williams) (TE)
Serradigitus joshuaensis (Soleglad) (T)
Serradigitus subtilimanus (Soleglad) (TE)
Serradigitus torridus Williams & Berke (TE)
Serradigitus wupatkiensis (Stahnke)
Smeringurus
Smeringurus aridus (Soleglad) (T)
Smeringurus mesaensis (Stahnke)
Smeringurus vachoni vachoni (Stahnke) (T)
Smeringurus vachoni immanis (T)(Soleglad)
Uroctonites
Uroctonites giulianii Williams & Savary (TE)
Uroctonites montereus (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Uroctonites sequoia (Gertsch & Soleglad) (TE)
Uroctonus
Uroctonus franckei Williams (TE)
Uroctonus grahami Gertsch & Soleglad (TE)
Uroctonus mordax mordax Thorell (T)
Uroctonus mordax pluridens Hjelle (TE)
Vaejovis
Vaejovis confusus Stahnke
Vaejovis hirsuticauda Banks
Vaejovis puritanus Gertsch (E)
Vaejovis spicatus Haradon (TE)
Vaejovis spinigerus (Wood)
Vaejovis waeringi Williams (TE)

I would think (same as told to me) that if you can find what is living around you, you already have the climate part down pretty good. Fair sized list there I think.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I must clarify that the california centruroides are aberrant- not naturally found west of the coachella canal.

in addition to this, many of the scorpions listed above are only known from a single specimen, and repeat attempts to collect them have failed.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also to add on to smokehound, I live near LAX and thus have no access to wild collecting scorpions or tarantulas. I may try to go on a trip to, but it would take a lot of time and planning that I don't have.

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
Also to add on to smokehound, I live near LAX and thus have no access to wild collecting scorpions or tarantulas. I may try to go on a trip to, but it would take a lot of time and planning that I don't have.
Fair enough. Maybe you can enter a search for those found in your climate and see if any other guys will sell you one or two. I was just trying to give you a starting point.
Good info on the other point on only single specimens being found. thx

CptPV

Arachnopeon
I have no plans to handle, but what I am looking for is one that does not need supplemental heat. I know emperor scorpions need it, and I want to know which ones DON'T so I can have them. I don't even think you read what I put buddy.
Only if you DO NOT plan on handling the scorpions and no children can accidentally get into to the cage then I would recommend the Hadrurus Arizonesis for you. This is the Giant Desert Hairy, they are pretty laid back, they love to burrow but do become aggressive when confronted or when it see's food. They need almost no humidity, just a water bowl will do, and you can place the tank close to a window for heat regulation during the day because they are going to hide in their burrows during day but are active at night. They are quite big also. great scorps and really fun to watch. :)