Good beginner scorpion?

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
Hello! I'm new to this forum so please forgive any mistakes I've made in the writing of this. I'll cut right to the chase. I want to get a scorpion but I'm not sure what they. I don't really like the look of Asian forest scorpions or emperor scorpions but they're like the main beginner species I've heard of. This one place at an expo I went to called tarantula Canada has a species called Vaejovis confusus and I'm kinda a big fan of them. Not 100% sure if they can be trusted with the identification though, since when I looked for myself I saw a lot of similar looking species. Like, what's even the difference between Vaejovis confusus and Paravaejovis confusus? I'm also pretty interested in maybe a Florida bark scorpion but I forgot their scientific name. Any advice, suggestions, or opinions are very welcome! Thank you all in advance!

Sillver

Arachnosquire
Vaejovis confusus was renamed to Paravaejovis confusus, they are the same scorpions. Also the scientific name for the Florida bark scorpion is Centruroides gracilis.

15 of my 17 scorpions I bought from Tarantula Canada, they are probably the best seller here in Canada for anything arachnid.

They currently have a 5 for $50 sale with the Centruroides gracilis and some other scorpions and tarantulas. I got 3 H.Petersii and 2 C.Gracilis like that from them. I currently have 3 C.gracilis that I got from them, all doing great.

But I would probably try to find a Giant desert hairy scorpion, the Hadrurus arizonensis. They are bigger then the Paravaejovis confusus and have a similar look to them, also they dont have as strong of venom compared to the Centruroides garcilis. You would most likely want to get a adult cause they can have molting problems. I saw some at the Toronto reptile Expo this weekend for $50. There will be another expo on January 26th

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hello! I'm new to this forum so please forgive any mistakes I've made in the writing of this. I'll cut right to the chase. I want to get a scorpion but I'm not sure what they. I don't really like the look of Asian forest scorpions or emperor scorpions but they're like the main beginner species I've heard of. This one place at an expo I went to called tarantula Canada has a species called Vaejovis confusus and I'm kinda a big fan of them. Not 100% sure if they can be trusted with the identification though, since when I looked for myself I saw a lot of similar looking species. Like, what's even the difference between Vaejovis confusus and Paravaejovis confusus? I'm also pretty interested in maybe a Florida bark scorpion but I forgot their scientific name. Any advice, suggestions, or opinions are very welcome! Thank you all in advance!
Tarantula Canada is a very, very, very reputable vendor.

Likely depends on the size of scorpion you're looking for, and temperature requirements for that species. V/P confusus are quite small.

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
Vaejovis confusus was renamed to Paravaejovis confusus, they are the same scorpions. Also the scientific name for the Florida bark scorpion is Centruroides gracilis.

15 of my 17 scorpions I bought from Tarantula Canada, they are probably the best seller here in Canada for anything arachnid.

They currently have a 5 for $50 sale with the Centruroides gracilis and some other scorpions and tarantulas.

They currently have a 5 for $50 sale with the Centruroides gracilis and

They currently have a 5 for $50 sale with the Centruroides gracilis and some other scorpions and tarantulas. I got 3 H.Petersii and 2 C.Gracilis like that from them. I currently have 3 C.gracilis that I got from them, all doing great.

But I would probably try to find a Giant desert hairy scorpion, the Hadrurus arizonensis. They are bigger then the Paravaejovis confusus and have a similar look to them, also they dont have as strong of venom compared to the Centruroides garcilis. You would most likely want to get a adult cause they can have molting problems. I saw some at the Toronto reptile Expo this weekend for $50. There will be another expo on January 26th
Oh that's

Oh okay thank you that's all very helpful! I was also at the Toronto Reptile expo! Is it possible to sex scorpions while they're still like tiny little guys? I saw that you can use those spike things on their underside but I only saw people doing it to adults. I don't know if that was just a coincidence though. Which species can have trouble melting? Should I just get an adult period or was it a specific species that has difficulties molting when they're small. I saw a place called reptile plus at the expo that had desert hairy scorpions but they were wild caught and I didn't really like that. Okay thank you in advance! Sorry to still be rambling!

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Oh that's

Oh okay thank you that's all very helpful! I was also at the Toronto Reptile expo! Is it possible to sex scorpions while they're still like tiny little guys? I saw that you can use those spike things on their underside but I only saw people doing it to adults. I don't know if that was just a coincidence though. Which species can have trouble melting? Should I just get an adult period or was it a specific species that has difficulties molting when they're small. I saw a place called reptile plus at the expo that had desert hairy scorpions but they were wild caught and I didn't really like that. Okay thank you in advance! Sorry to still be rambling!
Get an adult Hadrurus arizonensis

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
Get an adult Hadrurus arizonensis
I don't really want that species for three reasons. For one, they're apparently very aggressive compared to some other scorpions. Two, they were kinda expensive when I saw them at the expo. Three, I don't want to get an adult because I want to watch it grow from a tiny little baby to a fully grown adult. Getting an adult right off the bat would be no fun.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Paravaejovis sp. work fine if you are O.K working with a smaller scorpion that will try and sting you given the opportunity. Very easy to care for.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't really want that species for three reasons. For one, they're apparently very aggressive compared to some other scorpions. Two, they were kinda expensive when I saw them at the expo. Three, I don't want to get an adult because I want to watch it grow from a tiny little baby to a fully grown adult. Getting an adult right off the bat would be no fun.
Scorpions are defensive, not aggressive.

As you build your collection you could add one to it. I've never paid more than about $25.00 for any of mine.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Desert Hairy (Hadrurus species), Flat-Rock (Hadogenes species), Asian Forrest (Heterometrus species), Emperor (Pandinus, Pandinoides), pretty much any US native species (Paruoctonus, Anuroctonus, Smeringurus, Vaejovis, Paravaejovis, Serradigitus, etc.). Arizona Bark scorpions (Centruroides sculpturatus, formerly Centruroides exilicauda I believe) are on the HOT side, so use caution with those.

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
I would like desert hairy scorpions if I could find a baby but I don't want a fully grown once since all the fully grown ones I've seen are wild caught and I've been told not to support wild caught arachnids.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I would like desert hairy scorpions if I could find a baby but I don't want a fully grown once since all the fully grown ones I've seen are wild caught and I've been told not to support wild caught arachnids.
Desert Hairy Scorpions have difficulty reliably molting in captivity however adults can live upwards of 20 years I've heard.

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
Paravaejovis sp. work fine if you are O.K working with a smaller scorpion that will try and sting you given the opportunity. Very easy to care for.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah I think I might get Paravaejovis confusus. Is its name Paravaejovis confusus or Vaejovis confusus? I heard that one of the names is out of date so I'm not really sure which. I saw a lady at a place called reptile plus at an expo with Asian forest scorpion babies for ten dollars considering them too. She said their scientific name is Heterometrus spinifer but aren't spinifer and Heterometrus longi(I dont remember the rest of the name) like so close to each other that you can't get an accurate ID? So yeah just wondering if I can trust that ID and what's up with paravaejovis confusus and Vaejovis confusus. Thanks in advance!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yeah I think I might get Paravaejovis confusus. Is its name Paravaejovis confusus or Vaejovis confusus? I heard that one of the names is out of date so I'm not really sure which. I saw a lady at a place called reptile plus at an expo with Asian forest scorpion babies for ten dollars considering them too. She said their scientific name is Heterometrus spinifer but aren't spinifer and Heterometrus longi(I dont remember the rest of the name) like so close to each other that you can't get an accurate ID? So yeah just wondering if I can trust that ID and what's up with paravaejovis confusus and Vaejovis confusus. Thanks in advance!
It is Paravaejovis confusus now formerly known as Vaejovis confusus.

Most commonly available Asian Forest Scorpions will be Heterometrus petersii. But if a genuine H.spinifer or H.longimanus is available I would jump on those. Because they are alot less common and the hobby has seen jumbo-sized ones in the past before too. But did the dealer/seller have them properly IDed? One is getting a great bargain with the Heterometrus petersii but that it is a very common species is all. They are sold everywhere especially in local pet shops.

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
It is Paravaejovis confusus now formerly known as Vaejovis confusus.

Most commonly available Asian Forest Scorpions will be Heterometrus petersii. But if a genuine H.spinifer or H.longimanus is available I would jump on those. Because they are alot less common and the hobby has seen jumbo-sized ones in the past before too. But did the dealer/seller have them properly IDed? One is getting a great bargain with the Heterometrus petersii but that it is a very common species is all. They are sold everywhere especially in local pet shops.
They had them listed as Asian forest scorpion and when I asked for the scientific name they said its Heterometrus spinifer. I'm not sure if they're accurately identified though because when I later emailed the seller asking about the identification and the difference between spinifer, petersii, and longimanus they just replied, "They're Heterometrus spinifer."

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
They had them listed as Asian forest scorpion and when I asked for the scientific name they said its Heterometrus spinifer. I'm not sure if they're accurately identified though because when I later emailed the seller asking about the identification and the difference between spinifer, petersii, and longimanus they just replied, "They're Heterometrus spinifer."
Do they have a website and pics? Juvenile H.spinifer will have yellow telsons.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I don't remember the size exactly but they were really small looked like they only molted once. They were ten dollars for babies twenty dollars for fully grown adults.
Those prices are quite low for H.spinifer. But sounds just about right for a H.petersii (though I bought a subadult at a lps for $15 usd). It's a difficult call seeing how horrible some US reptile online outlets can be in shipping the wrong or misidentified species. You can choose to go ahead and order one because a) you got what you paid for if it turns out to be H.petersii a tad on the high end b) if it is a genuine H.spinifer you found yourself a true bargain to be very elated over.

I can't find anything on Reptiles Plus in Toronto or in Canada at all for that matter.