Good, affordable fossorial enclosures?

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hi, guys.

I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of decent, attractive, affordable fossorial enclosures and I was curious if anyone here had recommendations or preferences that they'd like to share.

What I want: crystal clear cube shaped enclosure, preferably acrylic for weight reasons, with a sliding or hinged top and drilled or laser cut airholes in the sides along the top and on the lid. I'm attaching an example I drew up.
Untitled_Artwork.jpg

TBH a taller shape would be fine, too, but I'm having trouble finding what I want/need at an affordable price. Currently, I'm putting my big A seemanni in a plastic 5 gallon food bin with latch sides, but this isn't attractive and it bothers me. On the upside, it was $6. My other fossorials are gaining size, and I don't want to keep going this route.

Glass aquariums for fish seem to offer more of the shape and size that I'm looking for, but they tend to be expensive, heavy, and have no lid.

I can have what I want custom made, but it seems silly to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already made these or there is a good DIY solution. The best options I've seen have been latch-closure display boxes from Shop Pop Dispays. They don't have laser cut holes and are expensive, so I'm reluctant to drill into something like that.

Anyone else have a favorite go-to for fossorials? Maybe I should rethink them.

Edit: I am extremely willing to DIY something, but I don't have a lot of space. I have aquarium silicone and a drill, if that helps.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Build it yourself with 4mm glass panels and silicon. Then you can choose your own measurments exactly how you like it, plus they are totally transperant. For ventilation, use perforated alu or stainless steel sheets

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Build it yourself with 4mm glass panels and silicon. Then you can choose your own measurments exactly how you like it, plus they are totally transperant. For ventilation, use perforated alu or stainless steel sheets
That's a pain in the butt, and I don't want glass, as I mentioned. I've tried to work with acrylic before when replacing mesh tops, but it doesn't cut well, and I don't have the space or tools for machinery.

I'm leaning toward just doing it myself anyway, but I know that my first several efforts will be messy and unattractive. This post is my last ditch effort to find something pre-made before I waste a bunch of plexiglass in the learning process.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Try herpcult, they might have what you want View attachment 328946
I love them and I have loads of their stuff. I reached out to them a few days ago to see if they had any of their medium talls in stock, but they haven't responded to me yet. They're usually pretty good about that, so it's unusual.

I'll see them at the Reptile Super Show Jan 4 if they don't respond, worse comes to worst. For the largest sizes, the prices seem to go up exponentially, but honestly, for the quality, I'm willing to pay it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a pain in the butt, and I don't want glass, as I mentioned. I've tried to work with acrylic before when replacing mesh tops, but it doesn't cut well, and I don't have the space or tools for machinery.

I'm leaning toward just doing it myself anyway, but I know that my first several efforts will be messy and unattractive. This post is my last ditch effort to find something pre-made before I waste a bunch of plexiglass in the learning process.
Aha, sorry. Didnt read that you dont want glass. In Sweden we have diffrent plastic tubs, like "Smart store" They comes in diffrent shapes and sizes and are cheap and escape free

20191220_184344.jpg 20191220_184359.jpg

This is one small version

Last edited by a moderator:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Aha, sorry. Didnt read that you dont want glass. In Sweden we have diffrent plastic tubs, like "Smart store" They comes in diffrent shapes and sizes and are cheap and escape free
np, I appreciate the recommendation! I realize I didn't thank you, and I apologize.

We have bins and tubs that will work, but they're all milky or opaque :/

I really want space and money to figure out how to work with acrylic, though. I'd really rather just make my own enclosures, but my attempts to cut acrylic have been difficult :/

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When i was really into the hobby in 2004-2015 i builded my glassterrariums myself. I builded many very deep top opend terrariums. It became a hobby in itself. Sure they are little more heavy than plastic, and fragile. But i have never dropped any. The pro with glass is that is totally transparent. Plastic seldom are. But nowdays i use mainly the types of tubs i posted pictures off

Kitara

Arachnodemon
"Affordable" is a subjective term so I'll throw this out there because I thought it was a very reasonable price. This is an 8x8x8 cube and was $35 + shipping. It's 1/4" acrylic so less likely to warp and it's made beautifully. I was super happy when I got it and will be getting another. DreamCo Plastics.

They custom build so you can get anything you want.

20191212_195048.jpg

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
"Affordable" is a subjective term so I'll throw this out there because I thought it was a very reasonable price. This is an 8x8x8 cube and was $35 + shipping. It's 1/4" acrylic so less likely to warp and it's made beautifully. I was super happy when I got it and will be getting another. DreamCo Plastics.

View attachment 328979
That's exactly what I want and that price isn't bad at all. Last time I was on there, they did not have these, though.

I'll check again. Thanks for sharing!

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon

View attachment 328979
I don't see this on the website sadly.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Try Amac boxes from the container store, I’m pretty sure they do a cube-type enclosure pretty similar to what you need. You will need to drill ventilation holes or panels yourself but they’re an affordable option.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Try Amac boxes from the container store, I’m pretty sure they do a cube-type enclosure pretty similar to what you need. You will need to drill ventilation holes or panels yourself but they’re an affordable option.
Their largest size is 4"x4" cube. If you want a juvenile container, it's not in the scope of what Amac provides. That's what's in discussion.

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
When i was really into the hobby in 2004-2015 i builded my glassterrariums myself. I builded many very deep top opend terrariums. It became a hobby in itself. Sure they are little more heavy than plastic, and fragile. But i have never dropped any. The pro with glass is that is totally transparent. Plastic seldom are. But nowdays i use mainly the types of tubs i posted pictures off
Yea I really love glass too.
I was gonna suggest a creature den by zoomed. They can be had for 25-30 with some decor stuff in them,which the person may or may not like. But I use one for my H.villosella and its really awesome. Probably will for my Psued.sp.blue as well.

Gavin Sons

Arachnopeon
I make all of my own out of acrylic. I'm lucky enough to have a laser to cut the panels out with. The last ones i made were from scraps of molded acrylic that the laser wont cut very well so i just used the table saw. For nice clean laser cuts you have to use extruded acrylic. I have plans to make several enclosures in the next few weeks. Just have to order the acrylic. Ill attach the last couple i made.

Attachments

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Hi, guys.

I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of decent, attractive, affordable fossorial enclosures and I was curious if anyone here had recommendations or preferences that they'd like to share.

What I want: crystal clear cube shaped enclosure, preferably acrylic for weight reasons, with a sliding or hinged top and drilled or laser cut airholes in the sides along the top and on the lid. I'm attaching an example I drew up.

TBH a taller shape would be fine, too, but I'm having trouble finding what I want/need at an affordable price. Currently, I'm putting my big A seemanni in a plastic 5 gallon food bin with latch sides, but this isn't attractive and it bothers me. On the upside, it was $6. My other fossorials are gaining size, and I don't want to keep going this route.

Glass aquariums for fish seem to offer more of the shape and size that I'm looking for, but they tend to be expensive, heavy, and have no lid.

I can have what I want custom made, but it seems silly to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already made these or there is a good DIY solution. The best options I've seen have been latch-closure display boxes from Shop Pop Dispays. They don't have laser cut holes and are expensive, so I'm reluctant to drill into something like that.

Anyone else have a favorite go-to for fossorials? Maybe I should rethink them.

Edit: I am extremely willing to DIY something, but I don't have a lot of space. I have aquarium silicone and a drill, if that helps.
for most of my enclosures are old fish tanks that i find and clean up some have metal lids and others none but nothing that good old mesh cant cover. i like to use the thicker window screen and strong vellcrow around the part you want to open for maintenance, thats my advice but im not that experienced in keeping Ts so there could be reasons why not to use screen but i hope this helps. i find the tanks mainly in junk piles when people make them on the side of the road for spring cleaning.

Gavin Sons

Arachnopeon
for most of my enclosures are old fish tanks that i find and clean up some have metal lids and others none but nothing that good old mesh cant cover. i like to use the thicker window screen and strong vellcrow around the part you want to open for maintenance, thats my advice but im not that experienced in keeping Ts so there could be reasons why not to use screen but i hope this helps. i find the tanks mainly in junk piles when people make them on the side of the road for spring cleaning.
Tarantulas get their feet stuck in screen. Then they lose legs from the injury and if severe they die.