good aboreal starter species or a good OW starter species.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
hello all, ive been told that the M. Balfouri is an excellent starter old world and that makes me very happy because personally its one of my favorite Ts. I am however still interested in what others have as a suggestion for a good OW and a good Arboreal starter species. thank you for your time and feed back!!!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A good first arboreal would be basically any Avicularia, Caribena, Ybyrapora.

Psalmos are fast and defensive. But are fine I'd You have experience with other species. Tapinauchinius are pretty good too, but really fast.

Good first OW... E. pachypus. Don't know how to spell the genus. But it should come up on Google. Stout legged baboon is the common.

Ceratogyrus isn't bad either. But mine is extremely defensive and has given me a lot of trouble compared to others. Maybe she's just weird..

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
A good first arboreal would be basically any Avicularia, Caribena, Ybyrapora.

Psalmos are fast and defensive. But are fine I'd You have experience with other species. Tapinauchinius are pretty good too, but really fast.

Good first OW... E. pachypus. Don't know how to spell the genus. But it should come up on Google. Stout legged baboon is the common.

Ceratogyrus isn't bad either. But mine is extremely defensive and has given me a lot of trouble compared to others. Maybe she's just weird..
ive heard that the stout legged is a good starter as well ive also heard the blue foot baboon is as well i dont know the scientific name for the T though..... I really want a suntiger but my friend has one and it is very very skittish and it doesn't hesitate to try and bolt if it doesn't want to be seen.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive heard that the stout legged is a good starter as well ive also heard the blue foot baboon is as well i dont know the scientific name for the T though..... I really want a suntiger but my friend has one and it is very very skittish and it doesn't hesitate to try and bolt if it doesn't want to be seen.
Blue legged= Monocentropus balfouri. Great communal species. Suntiger= Psalmopoeus irminia.very fast and defensive. But I'd recommend getting one before any OW. least their venoms not as bad.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
blue foot baboon is the Idiothele mira, and mine is an absolute sweetheart. they are fossorial and make trap doors so you don't see them too often.Very worth it when you do, and awesome to watch feed.

Monocentropus balfouri is known as the Socotra island baboon

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
hello all, ive been told that the M. Balfouri is an excellent starter old world and that makes me very happy because personally its one of my favorite Ts. I am however still interested in what others have as a suggestion for a good OW and a good Arboreal starter species. thank you for your time and feed back!!!!
I've heard that if you can handle psalmopoeus you can handle poecilotheria.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
blue foot baboon is the Idiothele mira, and mine is an absolute sweetheart. they are fossorial and make trap doors so you don't see them too often.Very worth it when you do, and awesome to watch feed.

Common names suck.:banghead:

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From my experience, my first OW was M.Balfouri. I got it as a sling and it has been easy to deal with. Not defensive, flees over fights and does not get skittish in an unpredictable way. I really like them and mine is out quite a bit so I see it. Main thing is, they are fast moving. But honestly if you just use common sense, you will be fine with this species in my opinion.

My first arboreal was A.Avicularia from a pet store. Big mistake. It died from who knows what. Second one was A.Purpurea from a breeder, bought as a sling. This tarantula was wonderful and always active as a sling unlike my A.Avic. As far as arboreals go, I have also owned P.Irminia and P.Cambridgei. I didn't really care for P.Irminia, it hid constantly and I like a tarantula I get to see often. P.Cambridgei was definitely out more. They are not as stunning as P.Irminia to a lot of people, but I think they are pretty. I have also owned T.Cupreus which I never see unless it is hungry. My favorite arboreal though that I have had is P.Bromelicola, very expensive, but out all the time, eats consistently, and kind of a cool look!

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon

thank you lol im trying really hard to study up on the scientific names of the species i want and like its just alot lol.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've heard that if you can handle Psalmopoeus you can handle Poecilotheria.
Species from the Psalmopoeus genus are regarded as a "bridge species" for those who want to work towards keeping OW arboreals, they have similar speed and temperament but venom isn't as bad (although it'll still ruin your day if you get tagged).

So yeah, if you can look after a Psalmo without issue then you should be able to deal with a Pokie.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Species from the Psalmopoeus genus are regarded as a "bridge species" for those who want to work towards keeping OW arboreals, they have similar speed and temperament but venom isn't as bad (although it'll still ruin your day if you get tagged).

So yeah, if you can look after a Psalmo without issue then you should be able to deal with a Pokie.
i have a friend that really wants a gooty. i told him to go for it hes a very experienced keeper he just cant find a sling anywhere. I know 100% my mind is set on a M. Balfouri i just need to find a sling. the arboreal is more of a bonus T if i can find one that swhy i was wondering what would be a good starter spiecies. does anyone on this thred happen to know anything about the orphnaecus philippinus?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i have a friend that really wants a gooty. i told him to go for it hes a very experienced keeper he just cant find a sling anywhere. I know 100% my mind is set on a M. Balfouri i just need to find a sling. the arboreal is more of a bonus T if i can find one that swhy i was wondering what would be a good starter spiecies. does anyone on this thred happen to know anything about the orphnaecus philippinus?
Very fast, but not overly defensive. Fast growing too. Nasty venom like all OWs. Basically a Chilobrachys. (Earth tigers?)