Goliath Tarantula Question

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
She has tried to climb before...I'm going to throw some meal worms in there and see what happens..thanks guys also I have a pink toe spiderling that is about an inch with legspan included. I have in in a small exo terra cage. Should I relocate her to a 1 gallon aquarium for now and place my asian chevron in the exo. I'll post pics so you can see. Thanks for all your help.
That doesn't look so good (the blondi). I'd suggest what everyone else has been saying, and also add that if you do try to feed her, use maimed/prekilled feeders. You don't want her to exert herself too much trying to catch food.

Yes, you should move the pink toe to something smaller for now, though the Exo terra will make a great, if rather large, enclosure for her when she's full grown. Right now, it's just a lot of wasted space.

I would NOT move the Haplo in there though. There's not enough room for substrate!
I'd keep her where she is, but fill the tank nearly to the top with sub, and give her a starter burrow.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey! bud! first things first add some substrate and make some part of it a little moist! She looks in a bad shape! try turning her enclosure into a icu type enclosure! just to help her untill the molt!
It looks like it might be wild cought! or it might just not have been well looked after!? i would also mut it aside from your other t,s until she is ok!

'Fulk' seems to have some knowledge on Theraphosa! im sure he wouldnt mind giveing some input if you need!

Sweet! take care!
It was the Haplopelma i was talking about:) And the ICU thing seems to be an AB phenomenon. Just increase the humidity in the enlcouse instead of stress the crap out of the spider with wet paper ect. Broken legs is no need for an icu (imo).

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Thanks Falk, I had her in deeper substrate and she still refused to burrow...She just used The plants, webbed them and hid behind them. She eats regulary, and has no problem hunting...I'll add more today. I hate moving her...she jumps to bite at times.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Falk, I had her in deeper substrate and she still refused to burrow...She just used The plants, webbed them and hid behind them. She eats regulary, and has no problem hunting...I'll add more today. I hate moving her...she jumps to bite at times.
Sometimes it can take awhile before they burrow. You can make a hole in the substrate and see if she likes it.

Good luck.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
I'll post pictures of her once I get her moved...now as far as an icu enclosure goes, can you explain that? Right now She's in a 5 gal aquarium with locking lid. I have half the lid coverd in saran wrap to keep some moisture in. No lights other than natural lighting. and I don't disturb her except to clean...So what type of substrate would you reccommend I have coconut fiber in there now. Most places here that sell soil have it laced with pesticides.

Goliath's dropped both legs:eek:. Seems to be back to normal as far as how active she was:confused: I don't see any signs of bleeding.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll post pictures of her once I get her moved...now as far as an icu enclosure goes, can you explain that? Right now She's in a 5 gal aquarium with locking lid. I have half the lid coverd in saran wrap to keep some moisture in. No lights other than natural lighting. and I don't disturb her except to clean...So what type of substrate would you reccommend I have coconut fiber in there now. Most places here that sell soil have it laced with pesticides.

Goliath's dropped both legs:eek:. Seems to be back to normal as far as how active she was:confused: I don't see any signs of bleeding.
Sounds good:) Tarantulas can remove damaged limbs so in a couple molts they will grow back.
ICU is a box with wet towels for very dehydrated tarantulas but i belive they can do more harm than good but thats my opinion. Correct humidity, a good shelter/burrow and a water dish and very little disturbance is what i belive is the best.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Here are the pics of the Asian T. She's not sick...she just stayed huddled uder that plant until hunting time. Unless there is something that you noticed. I patched up the Burgandy's legs...better safe than sorry. And I'm moving my pinktoe to a nice decorative beta tank..I'll have pics of that later..my spiders are spoiled.

Attachments

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I started a burrow for my Hap. and Here is the new enclosure for my pink toe...
Pink toe's is perfect. The only thing missing is a good waterdish (for both enclosures).

As for the Haplo.... She will most certainly make use of that burrow.
But like others have said, you'll want to have more substrate if she will be able to make a good burrow. Here's what my H. lividum's looks like:

I'm fairly sure she's in the same size tank as yours. It's just to give you an idea of how deep it should be (There are people who would argue that even my setup is not deeo enough!).

But, yeah, the most important thing you need to be doing is having a waterdish for them, especially with the sub looking that dry.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Thanks..the substrate is actually really moist I mixed coconut fiber and topsoil, then just put coconut fiber on the top for looks, that is why it appears dry. As for the pinktoe's...maybe a bottle top but that beta tank is about the like 5.5"H x 4.5"-5" W and The T still has plenty of room lol..tiny thing. I'll keep it misted and add more soil/substrate to my Hap's. Thanks for all your advice.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Off subject can you identify that pinktoe? You know I used to have arachnophobia until I got my first T. Condition cured.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
It was the Haplopelma i was talking about:) And the ICU thing seems to be an AB phenomenon. Just increase the humidity in the enlcouse instead of stress the crap out of the spider with wet paper ect. Broken legs is no need for an icu (imo).
Hey Falk!

You will note my post said to leave the t in her enclosure and add some substrate and make some of it moist! and add some heat! i never said to move her onto paper towel!?
i meant to just give her 'icu' conditions in her enclosure as far as water, temp & humidaty are concerned!
I agree with the whole paper towell in container as 'icu' like i said above just make their own enclosures as close to perfect conditions as pos!
What do you think?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should make a set up similar to hobo's set up for your chevron tarantula. however, use peat moss. when the peat moss inflate after you put water, put it in the enclosure about 6-7" deep, do not press substrate so it will be easier for you haplo to make tunnels :)

for your t blondi change the substrate, I hate coco fiber substrate after trying it because it showed bad results on my ts. I recomend you to use peat moss. make the other side of the cage moist and the other wet (when you squizze the peat moss water must come out). Put a big hide like a flower pot in the cage and make sure that the cage is in a dark place. Theraposa hates light and makes them go crazy. good luck on taking care of her :)

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
So peat moss, no soil and no coconut fiber. I agree about the fiber...it dries out too quickly but really it was the safest thing for them.

Last edited:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Falk!

You will note my post said to leave the t in her enclosure and add some substrate and make some of it moist! and add some heat! i never said to move her onto paper towel!?
i meant to just give her 'icu' conditions in her enclosure as far as water, temp & humidaty are concerned!
I agree with the whole paper towell in container as 'icu' like i said above just make their own enclosures as close to perfect conditions as pos!
What do you think?
I think your Theraphosa sp. will do fine:)

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Yeah She seems to be good. She's hiding in her log burrow for now. I fed her a few crickets but she prefers live feeder mice, so back to the store today to get a small mouse for her.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah She seems to be good. She's hiding in her log burrow for now. I fed her a few crickets but she prefers live feeder mice, so back to the store today to get a small mouse for her.
:embarrassed:

dont get used to feed vertebrates.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
Okay...so meal worms and crickets. For some odd reason I can't seem to find a hissing roach in any of the stores here.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So peat moss, no soil and no coconut fiber. I agree about the fiber...it dries out too quickly but really it was the safest thing for them.
you can add soil but no coconut fiber, I been using peat moss for my big terrestrial Ts and they seems to do great on it.