Going rate for an AF A. geniculata?

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire

So, what would you guesstimate as a price for this fat beauty? She is pushing the nine inch mark and is at least eight years old. The first number that popped into my head: 180 EUR / 200 USD. What do you think?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron

So, what would you guesstimate as a price for this fat beauty? She is pushing the nine inch mark and is at least eight years old. The first number that popped into my head: 180 EUR / 200 USD. What do you think?
prices vary but here in the UK you can get a juvenile for £17 and I'm sure I've seen adult females for around £50-£60 euro works out just about the same

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
US prices are way more steep than UK an AF would probably go for $150-200.

Phases

Arachnoknight
As a buyer - pay for what you find if you want it :) I've paid 10 bucks for Ts, 300 bucks for others. I wanted it :)

See if you can find what you want local - then compare the price to that of what you find online with shipping, which is a lot(!) combined.

The whole you paid too much or you paid too little - whatever .. if you shopped around and did due diligence and wanted what you found, and it was worth it to you, do it. Or, wait for another deal. It's a gamble.

As a seller... I adjust my rates with that in mind. I feel bad when it cost 70 to ship overnight (supplies, etc, too considered) across the country but overnight is all I will do anymore - and all I can do now with my shipper anyway. So sometimes I'll sell less online than I would local. It's a loss but its worth it because your market opens way, way up, online.

I just sold a large adult LP, she's gorgeous, fat, great personality - for 200 - plus 70 for shipping. I feel it was okay for me. 200 in pocket. but 270 for them? SO why not throw in some slings for em lol. I have many many slings. It sat on CL for months and months. Then I got hit up on insta with "do you have an adult LP" and they didn't even think about it. I said yes, but she's 200. And they said lemme see her and then yaaaassssss! They just got her this morning and are very excited. I have a larger female (mom of all my slings) and there's no way in hell I'd give her up for 200. Nope. Nope nope nope. Not even with a thousand slings.

If I wanted that tarantula of yours, I would pay 200 for one that size. I've never seen one in person that big, so I would grab it up. I have one already though :) That was one of my must haves so to me it would have been worth it.

Ultimately, I am finding, it comes down to how quickly do you wanna get rid of them. Ask what you want, see where it goes :)

Edit: Ok I've edited this about 100 times. I do want to say I purchase a lot from a local shop here and, the whole 'rarely over 100 in US' might apply online - but it sure doesn't in MY local shop or what shows up on CL! :p I'd say 100 is below average price.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My only concern with buying females who are full grown is that I have no idea how old they are, especially those with shorter lifespans. So, I might not pay as much for them as I would for a juvenile, or sub-adult, who clearly is not at the end of their life.

Phases

Arachnoknight
My only concern with buying females who are full grown is that I have no idea how old they are, especially those with shorter lifespans. So, I might not pay as much for them as I would for a juvenile, or sub-adult, who clearly is not at the end of their life.
"Age" is not what matters with tarantulas. Also, generally, tarantulas gained value with age, size.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
"Age" is not what matters with tarantulas. Also, generally, tarantulas gained value with age, size.
What? Of course it matters. I'm not buying a 25 year old Brachypelma for the same price as a 6 year old.

Or a 15yo Poecilotheria for full price.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Absolutely not - age does matter. Are you telling me that you would pay the same for a full grown female Avicularia who is 12 years old than one who was seven years old? There is no way that I am paying full price for a female who might not even live for another couple of years.
I would pay way more for a sub-adult female than a senior who might up and die in a year, or two.

Phases

Arachnoknight
What? Of course it matters. I'm not buying a 25 year old Brachypelma for the same price as a 6 year old.

Or a 15yo Poecilotheria for full price.
Okay so obviously to an extreme degree it might matter. And I didn't believe that it did otherwise either and it was preached to me and I didn't agree but you know, I've come around. No, a 25 year old tarantula doesn't count in this scenario dude. But outside of the extremes size generally matters more than age so I have been taught and have come to believe.

Say your piece. That's fine too.

For example a two-year-old tarantula that is still 1/4 inch in size versus a 6 month old tarantula that is now an inch. Or a t that is 2 years old at 7 inches vs 2 or 3.

Look. Pay what you want for what is presented. Thats what matters - how bad you want what is for sale. That's that. The rest is not thing more than a pissing contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Okay so obviously to an extreme degree it might matter. And I didn't believe that it did otherwise either and it was preached to me and I didn't agree but you know, I've come around. No, a 25 year old tarantula doesn't count in this scenario dude. But outside of the extremes size generally matters more than age so I have been taught and have come to believe.

Say your piece. That's fine too.

For example a two-year-old tarantula that is still 1/4 inch in size versus a 6 month old tarantula that is now an inch. Or a t that is 2 years old at 7 inches vs 2 or 3.

Look. Pay what you want for what is presented. Thats what matters - how bad you want what is for sale. That's that. The rest is not thing more than a pissing contest.
Exactly. See? We agree completely. Just be more careful with how you say things. ;)

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I disagree. Age matters a lot. How do you explain that a sling can cost 5 dollars while an older specimen can cost ten times more? Because if you add up the cost of keeping a tarantula for five years the sum total in money spent is very different from the sum total of raising a L1. Supply and demand is also a factor since full-grown adults are harder to come by than slings which can be purchased in bulk for chump change.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I have (well, not quite now, so had) slings an inch in size 2 or 3 years old. You can also power feed an LP into 6 inches in a year. I get what you mean. It's a blend.