Gnat Proofing Etc.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
As Saber would say:
"Ugh, damned rookie mistake..."

In all the fun and games of keeping centrobolus sp., I forgot to get some medium to keep out gnats. They've already begun to multiply ;w;.

I want to get this fixed as soon as I can before it gets worse, so instead of waiting for netting in the post, are there any alternatives you'd recommend?

How about pillow cases?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Learn to live with them? They are really hard to get rid of. But when I have a lot, I withhold fresh food and let the enclosures dry a bit. I have a gazillion springtails with my bumblebees and I have been putting a slice of melon in every night and taking it out in the morning. I think that is working a little; but it is a lot of effort for a slow removal.

AmberReptiles

Arachnopeon
Keep a lot of Venus fly traps and pitcher plants in the bug room?

Mostly joking but the plants are pretty cool.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Glue gun some chiffon over the ventilation hole(s). The gnats can't get through that. Get some non-pesticide fly tape and run it across the top of the enclosure and then put the lid on, which will hold it in place and keep it from falling into your millipede enclosure. Obviously this method works better with an airtight (except for the ventilation hole(s) of coarse) enclosure. It won't get rid of them completely, and the fly tape is kind of annoying and gross to deal with, but it will vastly decrease their numbers. You can remove the fly tape once the gnats get to an acceptable level.