Giant whiteknee tarantula

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wise choice!!! I'm planning to get either a A. geniculata or a Nhandu chromatus though inclining towards the latter. Just like the color. All my T's have dark carapace. Maybe it's time to get a bright one.

mark0

Arachnopeon
@BoaConstrictor - No they are not aggressive but they strike on all movement around! Had one geniculata, then gave her as a gift, now I have new one (~6cm), both have the same behaviour, jumping on sight, always attacking water etc... But it certainly should not keep you guys away from her, its a beautifull specie, must have, grows very very fast, you can't imagine the difference before and after molt.

@testdasi - better get geniculata cos chormatus is skittish, very skittish ;) Oh yeah, genicualtas don't have bright carapace, so you're gonna have to buy another one, but its not a problem :)

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow how do you tell the difference between these and the N. chromatus? I was under the impresseing they were the same spider :confused:

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think so. I am sooooooooooo excited buthow do I convince momma

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They do have a very good feeding response. They can be held though. We got some really good pics of our female. I'll try to post them when I get a chance. What I do is make some movement in the cage with a p brush or something and after they get the jumpiness worked out then take them out. If you are gentle they are likely not to bite. Just be careful of those itchy itchy hairs!!!

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Strong feeding response is an understatement. Mine is defensive as all hell. She would CLIMB TONGS if I gave her the chance. She strikes at anything that moves. Never flicked a hair, though...

I am told that mine is unusually feisty, but you have to keep in mind that some are gonna be like her. heh She's NOT one I'd handle unless I had to. I've pinned her once, and man was she ever angry.

Want pics? I have pics...

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are great Ts. Fun to watch...active, big, and don't hide much. Mine is definitely one of my favorites. Raised her from 1/2"....she is now just over 3".

I think they're a staple species in the hobby!

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im gettin a 1/4 incher from shelby reptiles at teh nov Narbc in Chantilly

mark0

Arachnopeon
Here's two pictures of mine:

wow how do you tell the difference between these and the N. chromatus? I was under the impresseing they were the same spider :confused:
The difference is obvious, check the chromatus female:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. geniculata and N. chromatus are absolutely not one and the same species. My A. geniculata is one of my favorites. The coloration of jet black contrasted with the white is striking. She's a good eater, mine is perhaps six inches and ate 15 crix the other day. What remained was a small bolus. She's docile, my 5 year old daughter and I handle her frequently. Anyone who thinks they are otherwise is confusing their food response with defensive behavior. Take the lid off her enclosure and she comes right over (sort of like a dog hoping for a treat, lol). She's a big attacker of water droplets (always good for a chuckle) but I'm certain she's associating the vibrations with prey. Great species!

--the nature boy