Giant Solifugid from Oman

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I took this photo a few days ago in the Hajar Mountains above Bahla, Oman. I found it and several others while looking from reptiles on the road at night. The solifugids were incredible and by far the largest that I have ever seen. Their leg spread was about the same as a tarantula. They moved fast and continuously making them very difficult to centre and photo. This was the best that I could do after multiple attemps.

Any ideas as to the species?

habitat:

Thanks,
David

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Off the subject, what is the predominant rock in the close up and is it the same in the distant uplift? Basalt? Beautiful pics.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Wow beautiful pictures and spider. But I read something a while ago saying there are no solifugids in Australia, strange. Now I know they do live there.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, Michiel, for the possible identification.

The Snark, I don't believe these are igneous rocks. I think that they are primarily limestones or of sedementary origin. The mountains are young, rugged, but crumbling. I think that landslides are a frequent problem in the mountains.

Marc, These shots were from the Arabian Peninsula, not Australia.

I've added a full post of the trip here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?249996-Oman-June-2013&p=2178362#post2178362

Regards,
David

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice! Were these ones even larger than that huge black one in your February Jebel Akhdar report?

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, MrCrakerpants.

Hello korg, yes, this was even bigger than the large black solifugid that I saw before. The body and jaws were not nearly as robust but the legs were longer. This one was about the size of my hand with fingers outstretched. When looking at photos on the net, I saw shots of Galeodes sp. eating small reptiles such as skinks and geckos.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool looking. Wonder if it's a male or female? I know when most male tarantulas mature, they become a lot more leggy. Is it the same for solifugids? I've never seen one with such long legs before.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
can't see the pic at work, but typically the males will be much more "leggy," while the females will be a bit more stocky.