Giant african snails

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The land planarians eat worms,but they aint snails..
Awesome snails!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there is a predatory land snail in the southeastern states the rosey wolf snail(eulanda rosea)spelling, it's about 2 to 3" and it feeds only on other snails,really cool little predators,i have a few that i keep and they are also cannibalistic they can't be put together.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now that would be interesting if I only had a continuous supply of other snails to give it. They're especially hard to come by in the wild here, and the only species we have are about pinhead-size.

Land planarians are another thing I've always wanted, and probably more attainable than a GALS. Will they breed in captivity? I can certainly give them enough earthworms.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kept land planarians local to my area(green striped ones,about 4-5") and they are cool but VERY messy eaters.I fed them worms,and they always bit them in peices,leaving peices laying everywhere that stink and poison the caontainer in a matter of a few hours.You have to really clean up after them.They will also eat non stop and swell up to emormous girths! They are cool...

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
kraken said:
I kept land planarians local to my area(green striped ones,about 4-5") and they are cool but VERY messy eaters.I fed them worms,and they always bit them in peices,leaving peices laying everywhere that stink and poison the caontainer in a matter of a few hours.You have to really clean up after them.They will also eat non stop and swell up to emormous girths! They are cool...
Pics please.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I "kept" them.I dont any longer.They were just too messy.If I can find one,I will take some pics and post!

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beetleman said:
there is a predatory land snail in the southeastern states the rosey wolf snail(eulanda rosea)spelling, it's about 2 to 3" and it feeds only on other snails,really cool little predators,i have a few that i keep and they are also cannibalistic they can't be put together.
I think my local nursery sells these! Pricey though, more than $15 for some of them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Shelob said:
I think my local nursery sells these! Pricey though, more than $15 for some of them.
i think i know which one your talking about, that one eats garden snails,(the wolf snail will also)i forgot the scientific name on that one, i think mine is a different one,but then again i could be wrong. i'll have to look that one up,may have to get some:D

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
African land snails are illegal in the US, I believe. I wouldn't mind keeping a large snail like those. What large species of snail are legal in the US?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only legal land snails would be US native species.

Introduced snails caused tremendous ecological and agricultural damage in Florida. While I'm against many of the USDA's policies, in the case of these snails it is probably justified, as cool as they are.

Aquatic snails are legal, however, and one type of "apple snail" from South America gets as big as a baseball and is sometimes availble at pond stores.

Wade

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No,unfortunately they dont.I keep ones i found outside in small cages.Snails are actually neat.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, snails are really neat,i keep the native ssp. aswell,they do very well,and breed like crazy.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have slugs also.Giant Tiger slugs.They are so abundant around me.So far they are doing great. I have 10 right now set up in a 15 lomg aquarium that my kids set up the other day.Of course I have given them a bottle cap full of Sam Adams boston lager!:D

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been reading the "destroy on site" Policy of the U.S fish and wildlife on Giant snails.I can understand the policy,but, they are restricted in ALL countries. Why cant the US be like the other countries and allow people to get permits to keep them? That how most countries do it, make a few bucks and get a permit. Sometimes america seems to "lag" behind on the freedom department:rolleyes:

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kraken said:
I have been reading the "destroy on site" Policy of the U.S fish and wildlife on Giant snails.I can understand the policy,but, they are restricted in ALL countries. Why cant the US be like the other countries and allow people to get permits to keep them? That how most countries do it, make a few bucks and get a permit. Sometimes america seems to "lag" behind on the freedom department:rolleyes:
Giant African Land Snails are not at all restricted in the UK, or in other parts of Europe to my knowledge? no permits are required to keep them here.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kevin_Davies said:
Giant African Land Snails are not at all restricted in the UK, or in other parts of Europe to my knowledge? no permits are required to keep them here.
My fault man, I thought I read on a snail website that said ALL(exept that country's native snails) snails are restricted or regulated in all countries...shows you cant believe what you read

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've put some small aquatic snails in with my axolotl. Two different local species. One is the "classic" snail shape that's flat, but the rest of them have shells that curl up to a point. They are quite small, though, but seem to be doing well in the tank. Not sure if they'll live off of what they find growing in there (algea eaters, perhaps?) of if I'll need to feed them something.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
kraken said:
Permits wouldn't prevent escapees. Snails can be SERIOUS pests. While I think many of the regulations against various inverts are absurd (mantids for crying out loud!), snails do represent a real threat. For starters, snails are hermaphrodites and any two can produce thousands upon thousands of eggs. Eggs can easily be thrown away accidentally resulting in an infestation.

Believe me, I'm no fan of excessive regulation, but I think this is justified. Most European countries do not include subtropical are like Florida and are therefore less vulnerable than we are.

Wade

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wade said:
Permits wouldn't prevent escapees. Snails can be SERIOUS pests. While I think many of the regulations against various inverts are absurd (mantids for crying out loud!), snails do represent a real threat. For starters, snails are hermaphrodites and any two can produce thousands upon thousands of eggs. Eggs can easily be thrown away accidentally resulting in an infestation.

Believe me, I'm no fan of excessive regulation, but I think this is justified. Most European countries do not include subtropical are like Florida and are therefore less vulnerable than we are.

Wade
I agree.The more I thought about it,permits would be just a way for uncle sam to invite himself in your life.Plus like you said it would be easy to toss out eggs in substrate.Still...it would be nice to have one!!:D