Giant African mantis

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
Hi. My name is nicolle Lindsey. I have recently acquired an l3 giant African mantis. I am unsure of the sex but I have named her samurai. I have included a picture of her, her current enclosure and the one that she will be moving too once she gets through a couple molts.
I was provided fruit flies to feed her with but if you guys have any suggestions on other small foods to feed her then be my guest. Everything I find online is only for adults.
If you guys have any suggestions, tips or comments for me then please don't be afraid to speak up. Thanks I'm advance for your help

Attachments

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I would try baby roaches, maybe house flies, or small crickets (banded crickets are safer than regular crickets).

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I have not raised Sphodromantis species before, but blue bottle flies are probably a little too large for an L3. I think it should be able to eat them by L4. Newborn dubias might also work.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Josh's Frogs has both house flies and blue bottle flies. They also have banded crickets, which I think are great for mantids.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'd use house flies. You just buy the pupa and wait for them to emerge.

Simple Mans Nature

Arachnopeon
I feed mine meal worms and young dubia. Their hunters. Not sit and wait predators like ghost mantids. They'll take food from your tongs. My favorite species of mantid so far.

Simple Mans Nature

Arachnopeon
Is yours full grown? Mine is only l3.
No their not full grown. Their either L4 or L5.the last molt was a pretty big change. But they do grow pretty past. You may have to cut little pieces of the mealworms if you want to go that route till it get to about l4 or L5. Or you have to pretty much use fruit flys.

Simple Mans Nature

Arachnopeon
No their not full grown. Their either L4 or L5.the last molt was a pretty big change. But they do grow pretty past. You may have to cut little pieces of the mealworms if you want to go that route till it get to about l4 or L5. Or you have to pretty much use fruit flys.
Or house fly like the other person said. I just hate ordering them. Most pupate in delivery. And I lost so much money. But of you get the sit and wait mantids like ghost mantids. You pretty much have to stick with flys from what I can tell with mine.

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
Or house fly like the other person said. I just hate ordering them. Most pupate in delivery. And I lost so much money. But of you get the sit and wait mantids like ghost mantids. You pretty much have to stick with flys from what I can tell with mine.
Yeah I'd probably have the same problem I live in south Houston. It's too warm here. She seems to like her fruit flies. She hunts them down like crazy. It's really amazing to watch.

big54bob

Arachnopeon
I feed mine the lesser mealworms that breed like rabbits in my dubia bin, she usually eats 2-3 in a sitting.

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
Yeah I think she's going to molt soon. She's refusing her food today. It's been 2 days since I fed her the cricket.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I like to give my mantids small crickets or red runners. Flies are such a pain to work with and as long as you feed your crickets right there's no problem using them. Also, there are many mantis species in Africa, so maybe you should use scientific names so we know exactly what you're talking about ;)