Georgia

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
visiting family in Macon Georgia. what are my odds of finding some Scorps?

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the only species you will be able to find is V. caralinianus but odds are pretty good. hit up some wooded areas with fallen pine trees. i have pretty good luck finding them under the bark of these. also if you find one under the bark of a tree, you can bet there are a few more hiding on the same tree.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the only species you will be able to find is V. caralinianus but odds are pretty good. hit up some wooded areas with fallen pine trees. i have pretty good luck finding them under the bark of these. also if you find one under the bark of a tree, you can bet there are a few more hiding on the same tree.
^ What he said. I was in the University of Georgia's insect museum a few weeks ago, and I can verify that this is the only species which has been identified from this state as far as official records go.

lancej

Arachnolord
Try looking under the bark of dead thicker-barked pine trees on the out-skirts of town. If you get a chance to go to Lake Sinclair, you would be almost guaranteed to find them. That's where I found my first scorpion in the wild. I was able to visit a couple of years ago, and there were still lots of them around. I've never had much luck with the thinner-barked pine trees, but almost every thicker-barked pine stump or log had at least one. Vaejovis carolinianus is a very cool species that can be kept communally(and that's how they are usually found). If you find any, please post some pictures! Good luck!

kharmakazy

Arachnopeon
Good luck mate, I live 45 mins from there and I've never seen a scorpion in the wild.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i live about 45 minutes north of macon and i have a ton in the woods behind my house. once you know where to look they will be easy to spot. i had never found one outside in the 20 years ive lived here until last year.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOOHOO Bonaire Ga baby! Yeah anyway, I lived there for a third of my life and never found a single molt, dead specimen or any signs of scorpions anywhere around there. And I herped just about every other day for hours and hours from Bibb, Houston and Twiggs county. But i did find tons of V carolinianus at Amicolola Falls north of Atlanta once at my campsite. The high light of my adventure there. Good luck

lancej

Arachnolord
WOOHOO Bonaire Ga baby! Yeah anyway, I lived there for a third of my life and never found a single molt, dead specimen or any signs of scorpions anywhere around there. And I herped just about every other day for hours and hours from Bibb, Houston and Twiggs county. But i did find tons of V carolinianus at Amicolola Falls north of Atlanta once at my campsite. The high light of my adventure there. Good luck
My old stompin' grounds! I grew up in Warner Robins and Bonaire. Never found any scorps in Peach, Houston, Twiggs, Bleckley, or Taylor Counties, but I found 1 in north Bibb, and from Jones County north on Highway 129 all the way to Athens is crawling with them when you find the right habitat.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They must not like the lower elevation perhaps? And Macon is on a plateau so maybe there is something to the elevation.

lancej

Arachnolord
Either that, or it's the type of habitat. The coastal plain seems to be the barrier. BTW, did the OP ever find any?

lancej

Arachnolord
Sorry to hear that. I went up there the last weekend in July and caught 13 in 2 1/2 hours(I found over 30!) in Jones County. Now I have a nice little colony of them.:biggrin: