Genus Sandinista

cshouston

Arachnopeon
I was looking at a list of New World tarantulas and noticed Sandinista lanceolatum. I tried searching the web for anything I could, but all I found is that it was relatively recently renamed from Brachypelma.

Does anyone know why it was decided to create a new genus with that name in particular? I ask because, for those unaware, the Sandinistas were Marxist-Leninist rebels in Nicaragua who overthrew the government in 1979 through bloody revolution, and ruled until 1990. They’ve been back in power since 2006 under quasi-dictator Manuel Ortega, and have retained it through sham elections. They were responsible for numerous human rights violations and atrocities including the mass killings of certain indigenous peoples.

On a personal note, they forced my grandparents to flee to the US, racing to the airport through mortar fire and street-level gun battles. They confiscated all of their property and left them with just the clothes on their back, more or less. I’m a little irritated that Sandinistas would be celebrated by naming a new genus of tarantula after them. It’s not like the name even has a descriptive Latin etymology; it literally references the founder of the party, Augusto Sandino, who led a guerrilla war against American troops and local conservative factions during the 1930s.

I’m not trying to get all political, just trying to understand who/why they would possibly choose that name. If there’s a scholarly article regarding the creation of the genus, I’d love to read it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
On page 6 of the download is the answer to your question. Otherwise just Command+F "Sandinista" until you come to the description of the genus, then scroll down to the etymology.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

cshouston

Arachnopeon
Interesting. Thank you for the reference. I just have to shake my head at their claim that it’s because he’s “a hero to many (I hate that usage of the word… who are the supposed many?) Nicaraguans”. It doesn’t change the fact that the Sandinistas are murderers who stay in power through rigged elections. I’d have hoped they would have based their taxonomy in science. Alas…

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Email the authors rather than post about all the reasons you think it’s wrong. Only the authors can change the name not us.

cshouston

Arachnopeon
🙄 alright, I won’t ask next time and I’ll just keep all my thoughts to myself. Thanks. Super helpful contribution and a great use of your time.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
What I get from viper's message is that at the end of the day, us talking about the name doesn't change anything, and if you want to be the change in the world reach out to the people who can effect that change, ha ha.

That said, I was unaware of the significance of the name for someone from Nicaragua, and I am terribly sorry about your family's experience.
I am thinking though that the authors are not necessarily wrong; is Ortega popular with the majority of the people in Nicaragua now (if not the diaspora)?
Many presidents are not looked too kindly upon in the "West" for various reasons but are incredibly popular amongst the majority of their citizens (Nayib Bukele in El Salvador, Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil). Sandinista might offend our sensibilities but more accurately respect the people who will be living amongst the spiders with that name.

I'm not an apologist for dictators though, and now that you have raised the issue I am a bit surprised that such a name would be given to a tarantula, irrespective of popularity in the home country. It is one thing to name a spider after Johnny Cash; it is quite another when there has been much innocent blood shed by the namesake.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Email the authors rather than post about all the reasons you think it’s wrong. Only the authors can change the name not us.
I don't think the authors can change the genus name even if they wanted to. Time to consult the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think the authors can change the genus name even if they wanted to. Time to consult the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature...
I thought the authors created the genus name on this?

cshouston

Arachnopeon
What I get from viper's message is that at the end of the day, us talking about the name doesn't change anything, and if you want to be the change in the world reach out to the people who can effect that change, ha ha.

That said, I was unaware of the significance of the name for someone from Nicaragua, and I am terribly sorry about your family's experience.
I am thinking though that the authors are not necessarily wrong; is Ortega popular with the majority of the people in Nicaragua now (if not the diaspora)?
Many presidents are not looked too kindly upon in the "West" for various reasons but are incredibly popular amongst the majority of their citizens (Nayib Bukele in El Salvador, Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil). Sandinista might offend our sensibilities but more accurately respect the people who will be living amongst the spiders with that name.

I'm not an apologist for dictators though, and now that you have raised the issue I am a bit surprised that such a name would be given to a tarantula, irrespective of popularity in the home country. It is one thing to name a spider after Johnny Cash; it is quite another when there has been much innocent blood shed by the namesake.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I got that as well, but they have a really bad attitude with everyone and everything around here so, much like the boy crying wolf, every time I see a post from them it comes across as rude and acerbic. I just put them on ignore because I'll be better off that way. That being said, thanks for at least understanding why I was inquiring about the source behind the creation of the genus. I appreciate your considerate viewpoint. I had no expectation of it being changed by posting here; just a desire to learn. It's unfortunate that some folks are bothered by that.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I thought the authors created the genus name on this?
Yes, the taxonomists that discover a new taxon and publish the paper with the details have the privilege to name it, but once the name is published they can't change it unless there is a good reason to do so. This is because maintaining taxonomic stability is of most importance when classifying and naming organisms.

While looking into the matter of whether a taxon name can be changed in the event one or more people could find it offensive, I discovered that all codes, or "rule books", regarding the naming of organisms have something in their documentation addressing it. The code for zoological nomenclature published by the ICZN states the following in Appendix B- General Recommendations: "Since it is the object of nomenclature to denote each taxon by a name which is unique, unambiguous and universal, an author should not change the prevailing usage of names, or the sense in which they are used, unless this is required for scientific reasons (i.e. the reclassification of taxa); it is of especial importance that a name should not be transferred to a taxon distinct from that to which it is generally applied."

So basically causing offense is not a scientific reason for changing a name and is not recommended. I also found a blog post from a credible source that addresses this type of situation in great detail. The author of the blog specifically mentions how international organismal naming committees prefer to stay out of disputes when a name is given in honor of a person or group that can be considered a hero to some and a villain to others. It's an interesting read.

Also, while researching this topic, I found that some taxonomists intentionally create names for the purpose of offending or insulting someone else. This certainly isn't the case with Sandinista, but I thought it was disappointing, and sometime humorous, that some taxonomists resort to childish antics in the course of scientific research.

cshouston

Arachnopeon
Yes, the taxonomists that discover a new taxon and publish the paper with the details have the privilege to name it, but once the name is published they can't change it unless there is a good reason to do so. This is because maintaining taxonomic stability is of most importance when classifying and naming organisms.

While looking into the matter of whether a taxon name can be changed in the event one or more people could find it offensive, I discovered that all codes, or "rule books", regarding the naming of organisms have something in their documentation addressing it. The code for zoological nomenclature published by the ICZN states the following in Appendix B- General Recommendations: "Since it is the object of nomenclature to denote each taxon by a name which is unique, unambiguous and universal, an author should not change the prevailing usage of names, or the sense in which they are used, unless this is required for scientific reasons (i.e. the reclassification of taxa); it is of especial importance that a name should not be transferred to a taxon distinct from that to which it is generally applied."

So basically causing offense is not a scientific reason for changing a name and is not recommended. I also found a blog post from a credible source that addresses this type of situation in great detail. The author of the blog specifically mentions how international organismal naming committees prefer to stay out of disputes when a name is given in honor of a person or group that can be considered a hero to some and a villain to others. It's an interesting read.

Also, while researching this topic, I found that some taxonomists intentionally create names for the purpose of offending or insulting someone else. This certainly isn't the case with Sandinista, but I thought it was disappointing, and sometime humorous, that some taxonomists resort to childish antics in the course of scientific research.
Thanks for that great info. The blog post was a good read as well. At least someone understands the value in discourse.

Just for the record (not directing this at you), I never said it should be changed just because I thought it was distasteful. I gave background for why I thought it was a poor choice of nomenclature and asked if anyone knew where to find information about how it came to be.

Last edited:

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Been directed to this

I think it was Voltaire who said "People running from revolution are probably the cause of the revolution".

If people are treated fairly then you don't get revolutions (no taxation without representation), but having to have 2 revolutions in less than 50 years just shows how bad the Nicaraguan people have been treated especially by the likes of Samoza and his junta along with the US backed "contras". While on a research trip in Nica we went to the Museo de la revolución, our guide told us of how as a child he, his mother and sisters were taken at night from their house by people backing Samoza..that was the last time he ever saw them...

There are 2 sides to every story.........anyway The Clash never made an album called Samoza

A