Genic Feeding Question

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello All,

I just picked up a beautiful A. Geniculata. She, (hopefully), is about 2/12 inches. I picked her up on Saturday and she is devouring a medium sized cricket every day. Can these be overfed? I know they are voracious eaters.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Hello All,
I just picked up a beautiful A. Geniculata. She, (hopefully), is about 2/12 inches. I picked her up on Saturday and she is devouring a medium sized cricket every day. Can these be overfed? I know they are voracious eaters.
i would just watch the abdomen. if it starts dragging the butt cause it's too fat, STOP FEEDING IT! you don't want it to be so fat that it can't even carry itself around...

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can these be overfed? I know they are voracious eaters.
If you just let it eat and eat all day every day, that's called powerfeeding. Concerns about obesity aside, this also speeds up the molting cycle dramatically--and a spider's "age" is determined by each new molt. So essentially, if you feed it constantly, your spider is living life in fast-forward. Particularly if it's male, you will dramatically shorten the time it has left.

I would give it one, maybe two crickets a week. At larger sizes, three or four. When it's a huge monster, five or six. A good lean diet never did any harm. :)