Gbb pairing question

misslanie29

Arachnopeon
I just paired my Gbbs for the second time tonight. I left the male in for about 4 hours and was woken up by a loud scurrying noise. I thought she had eaten my male. When I looked in he had gotten away from her but had lost his front tibial leg. After getting him out I started to examin both of them. One of his Paulp hooks was twisted out in the wrong way. She began to rub her underside a lot. I took a look with a flash light and could clearly see that her lips where wide open. As she rubbed her self her lips began to close. Both make and female began to groom them selves. The reason I write this is. Cause I've never heard of anyone seeing the femals lips open after a pairing. I'm assuming he got an insert. Any thoughts would be great.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
In my observations, the furrow will dilate or open slightly as courtship begins and remains so for a while after it ends, regardless of whether or not an insertion took place.
Males will also bring their bulbs out when attempting to pair (I'll assume by palp hook you mean the emboli) and may be slightly askew after courtship even if he didn't physically get an insertion.
But, considering that the female became hostile, and was rubbing herself under there afterwards, I'd say chances are good that he got an insertion, as I've never really seen that kind of behavior from failed insertions.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
considering that the female was rubbing herself under there afterwards, I'd say chances are good that he got an insertion, as I've never really seen that kind of behavior from failed insertions.
+1. I've only seen that after insertion too. It usually doesn't happen, but when it does, it means the male got his palps in.

Last edited:

misslanie29

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the replies. I guess I've just wondered why people say, "i hope he got in." when If you can see her lips open and that's a sign of them getting in why wouldn't they know he was successful? I've got my fingers crossed she drops a sack i a few months.