GBB or Brazilian Blue? Which is more beginner friendly?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Both tarantulas are beautiful and colorful!
But I am still rather new at this and don't want something that is too hard to care for just yet.
Pterinopelma sazimai and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are both beautiful Ts
I would like one since i keep bumping into both of them in the trade but I am not sure which is more "beginner friendly". What are the care and housing requirements and which would you recommend?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Both are hardy and easy to care. Begginer can take care of them, but should already have some experience as both are fast, skitish and sometimes defensive. Chromatopelma needs bone dry and some tvigs/branches for webing. Pterinopelma half moist and hide. I had both and personaly prefer Pterinopelma.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As mentioned above, both are pretty comparable species. Good eaters, hardy, easy to care for etc, but i would personally choose gbb.

The saizmai get kind of pretty, if youre into nw terrestrial, but the gbb has more to offer.

The cool pattern/color changes and the heavy webbing takes the win for me

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
IMO, a GBB is a must-have for any collection. P. sazimai are nice, but not a must-have. I would go for the GBB.

Also, my GBB was my very first T. Just know they are a bit skittish and quick.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Both are great and beginner friendly enough, P.sazimai are vastly underrated IMO...crazy feeding response and can have quite the attitude at times. They also just look amazing fresh after a molt, much more blue overall then GBBs.

If I were you, I would just get one of each and call it a day lol. ;)

spidertori

Arachnopeon
I just got a P. Sazimai sling as one of my first (I also got a g. pulchripis, and b. boehmei). Of the three it's definitely the fastest, and it runs to the escape paths when I open the container. I've heard GBB's are also a bit flightier - something to consider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBBs are tough as nails. If you kill one of those, you need to own pet rocks instead.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
IMG_20181201_184601.jpg I've only seen my P. sazimai sling twice...it's been burrowed for close to 2 months. On the other hand, my GBB is always out and about.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
I have a question i regards to the C. cyaneopubescens and instead of starting a new thread I will ask here.

Been considering a GBB as a first/second T and was wondering if they are semi-arborial? Many of the videos I have watched seem to have branches and more height above the substrate than a terrestrial setup.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I have a question i regards to the C. cyaneopubescens and instead of starting a new thread I will ask here.

Been considering a GBB as a first/second T and was wondering if they are semi-arborial? Many of the videos I have watched seem to have branches and more height above the substrate than a terrestrial setup.
IMHO your on the right track. I have my GBB in a "terrestrial" enclosure w/many anchor points for it's webbing. Therefore my T usually chills just above ground.
GBB2.jpg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Many of the videos I have watched seem to have branches and more height above the substrate than a terrestrial setup.
The branches and sticks would be there as anchor points for their webbing. They are a terrestrial species, and will build web castles if you give them enough space and anchor points to do so.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
IMHO your on the right track. I have my GBB in a "terrestrial" enclosure w/many anchor points for it's webbing. Therefore my T usually chills just above ground.
View attachment 298308
Your setup is good. One thing Ill point out for you though, is that all that extra sub depth is pretty unnecessary for this species...they dont burrow at all, even as slings. You can let the sub dry out as well.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They are terrestrial, but I'm not as concerned about excessive vertical height with GBBs as I am with other terrestrials, as GBBs will web up everything. Include lots of anchor points, and they will make an elaborate network of web tunnels.