GBB housing

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on the forums so I may have missed some stuff. Last time I was doing any research into T's I know some people were debating if GBBs were semi arboreal or would make any use of a taller enclosure. Basically I picked up a GBB sling and it's just moulted after having it for around a month, and I'm looking to rehouse it. The moult measures about 1" (just shy of 3cm) and I have an old front opening glass style enclosure that I can use but packed right up with dirt it leaves around 8cm gap. So too much of a height gap or is it safe since it's a GBB?

TIA - Dylan

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
GBBs aren´t "semi-arboreal", so you should give it a terrestrial setup, but with more anchor points and perhaps a bit more climbing space than you would other terrestrial species. They are quite active and they web a lot.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
GBBs aren´t "semi-arboreal", so you should give it a terrestrial setup, but with more anchor points and perhaps a bit more climbing space than you would other terrestrial species. They are quite active and they web a lot.
Yeah perhaps a bit more climbing space, so I'm unsure if 8.5cm for a 3cm sling would class as too much or not? I know it's probably too much for a terrestrial as most people say not more than 2x the legspan and that's closer to 3.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
GBBs are adaptable and seem to have a preference.
Mine despite having barely any height will cling to the walls a lot. Very rare to see him on the ground.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yeah perhaps a bit more climbing space, so I'm unsure if 8.5cm for a 3cm sling would class as too much or not? I know it's probably too much for a terrestrial as most people say not more than 2x the legspan and that's closer to 3.
Whereas it might be fine in terms of height, a front opening enclosure is not ideal for a terrestrial tarantula IMO (maintenance becomes much more of a hassle and you might easily startle the T). A plastic enclosure with a top opening would be much more suitable.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
GBBs are adaptable and seem to have a preference.
Mine despite having barely any height will cling to the walls a lot. Very rare to see him on the ground.
Mine is exactly the same, it's in quite a shallow deli cup at the minute and it's created a hammock in between a few pieces of cork bark but it's right at the top.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Whereas it might be fine in terms of height, a front opening enclosure is not ideal for a terrestrial tarantula IMO (maintenance becomes much more of a hassle and you might easily startle the T). A plastic enclosure with a top opening would be much more suitable.
I've used both styles and TBH I'm not actually sure what i prefer yet. I can see how it can be an issue with terrestrial Ts but I had a B. Hamori juvi In the same one a few years back with no issues. It's not your typical front opening enclosure like an exo Terra it's the spider shop Uk own brand ones.