Gambian Giant Pouched Rat

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are actually illegal all throughout the US, due to the Monkey Pox scare from a couple of years ago. These were the animals that were shown to have brought the disease into the US, or so the CDC says. These, along with Prairie Dogs, were banned nationwide from being sold or given away, or transported across state lines, and I haven't heard of the ban being lifted. If this is the same outfit that puts on the exotic animal/reptile shows, you might want to check when the site was last updated.

pitbulllady

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I think it was those rats that passed on monkey pox to ...ground hogs was it?...Here in ILL and WI.. Lets just say the lawmakers had a field day with exotics after that...Is it just me or do more and more politicians remind you of (simpsons) Mayor Quimby....Bear patrol :rolleyes:

T

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
They are actually illegal all throughout the US, due to the Monkey Pox scare from a couple of years ago. These were the animals that were shown to have brought the disease into the US, or so the CDC says. These, along with Prairie Dogs, were banned nationwide from being sold or given away, or transported across state lines, and I haven't heard of the ban being lifted. If this is the same outfit that puts on the exotic animal/reptile shows, you might want to check when the site was last updated.

pitbulllady

i didn't realize they were illegal in all the states. my buddy said that we could get them from some place in nevada. i'll have to ask him more about it.

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can I mention a couple things? I'm trying not to be mean... but these topics get me pretty upset.

First... what happens if it gets sick? If it's illegal, there probably are not vets to help it out. Thats incredibly unfair for the animal.

Second... Yeah... some laws suck. But breaking them makes us look even worse to the general public when the press gets involved and we don't need that. Own what you're allowed to. God forbid anything happened involving that animal, you'd be making more negative marks against us exotic animal owners.

These are a couple points "kids" don't think about and really should.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When they were being brought into the country (before they were banned), my friend got a young one... Pretty neat looking critter... Very strong jaws though...chewed through many cages and would get kinda "fiesty" with ya... they hurt when they bite...lol... I always thought they were cool...a rat the size of a small dog!

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psoulocybe said:
Can I mention a couple things? I'm trying not to be mean... but these topics get me pretty upset.

First... what happens if it gets sick? If it's illegal, there probably are not vets to help it out. Thats incredibly unfair for the animal.

Second... Yeah... some laws suck. But breaking them makes us look even worse to the general public when the press gets involved and we don't need that. Own what you're allowed to. God forbid anything happened involving that animal, you'd be making more negative marks against us exotic animal owners.

These are a couple points "kids" don't think about and really should.
you just had to go and take all the fun out of didn't you. ;)

i still want one though.

Ravienne

Arachnopeon
Say, wasn't that the kind of rat that played Ben in the Willard remake? Scary big rat. Dang cool! :D Too bad it's illegal; hopefully they'll lift the ban in time.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ravienne said:
Say, wasn't that the kind of rat that played Ben in the Willard remake? Scary big rat. Dang cool! :D Too bad it's illegal; hopefully they'll lift the ban in time.
I doubt if the CDC will lift the ban anytime soon, if at all. Once our government decides that somethings bad for us there's really no forcing them back.

Kind of a shame cuz I'd love to have one of these guys myself.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately dangerprone is right...

Unfortunately I read the article and now I want one, too. :rolleyes: What can you do?

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really really want a nutria rat, but most of the wc ones have worms

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're great pets, though the temperement is not like a regular rat, they're not quite as social....a bit like a chinchilla really, at least the ones I've met. Where I live, ferrets are illegal, but you can take them to the vets around here and you won't get in trouble...so maybe you can find a loophole somewhere. *Shrugs* I'm not really recommending breaking the law, but then...I did enjoy my E. tiaratum, illegal or no, and I wouldn't hesistate to get more if given the opportunity.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wolfchan said:
Where I live, ferrets are illegal, but you can take them to the vets around here and you won't get in trouble...so maybe you can find a loophole somewhere.
Isn't there a 'grandfather' clause in CA re ferrets? So if you had a ferret before the law was passed you don't have to worry? Maybe this is what the vets are benignly assuming.

I'd kind of think, though, that most vets like animals a really lot and know that any illegal animals they report are going to be destroyed. They may see it as a better deal to make sure the animal is getting proper care and is not a danger to the people keeping it. Just a thought. :)

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The monkeypox thing is completely bogus. Only one was found to have it, and it was part of an illegal shipment of various animals that were all infected. No evidence whatsoever that it came from the rat, and they are not considered carriers of it in their native land. They are simply animals that CAN contract it, like the prairie dogs, and so are most other mammals...it's just the exotic ones that get blamed and banned.