Gambian Congo River Tiger Fish..very scary looking!!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, they are awesome!! they sell the babies here and there,they do well in aquariums,but they need ALOT....i mean ALOT of room,and great filtration,those teeth on them are sick looking! i wish i had the room for them,but honestly they are better off in the wild where they belong,i cannot believe the size on some of them:clap: beautiful fish:)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, they are awesome!! they sell the babies here and there,they do well in aquariums,but they need ALOT....i mean ALOT of room,and great filtration,those teeth on them are sick looking! i wish i had the room for them,but honestly they are better off in the wild where they belong,i cannot believe the size on some of them:clap: beautiful fish:)
would they be legal in america?
i would be surprised, as they look as mean and adaptable as piranahs.
they are incredible, indeed!!

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hydrocynus vittatus and goliath, two of my favorite tankbusters :)

they are awsome aquarium pets (for those who have a tank big enough to keep then in atleast). i had a smallish one for a while, they are very intertaining, but nevous fish.
good find on the pics BTW

they are legal. they are pretty delicate IME and do not handle stress very well.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hydrocynus vittatus and goliath, two of my favorite tankbusters :)

they are awsome aquarium pets (for those who have a tank big enough to keep then in atleast). i had a smallish one for a while, they are very intertaining, but nevous fish.
good find on the pics BTW

they are legal. they are pretty delicate IME and do not handle stress very well.
cool!
thanks for the insight, guys!
when i first saw the pics i thought they had been faked..but no!!:worship:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO they are not suitable as aquarium fish, unless you provide them a massive tank from the start with lots of hideouts etc. Most that are sold dont eat well, and die shortly after
Wolf fish, Hoplias sp., are a better alternative if you like big ferocius fish. They are usually problem free from the start - need a BIG tank though.
Legal or not depend from state to state.

Hoplias sp. (probably H. lacerdae)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO they are not suitable as aquarium fish, unless you provide them a massive tank from the start with lots of hideouts etc. Most that are sold dont eat well, and die shortly after
Wolf fish, Hoplias sp., are a better alternative if you like big ferocius fish. They are usually problem free from the start - need a BIG tank though.
Legal or not depend from state to state.

Hoplias sp. (probably H. lacerdae)

those dont have really cool huge teeth.;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:eek: Piranha move over! Awesome looking fish, straight out of the dinosaur age!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those are impressive, post those pics on most forums on the net and the general response that those are the latest movie props for the next sci-fi channel original.

Those perhaps live outside the States, sci-fi cable channel put out alot of generic original horror/sci-fi flicks usually dealing with monsterous aberrations.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've fish for the non goliath species in Lake kariba on the Zambezi, an amazing sport fish but not very good eating, very very boney.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are cool looking but being so big having one in captivity would be expensive.

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I definantly would faint dead away if I chose to dive under a few yards from shore and saw that staring back at me...:eek:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The first thing that jumped to my mind when I saw the very first picture was the Predator from the film of the same name. I'm not sure why, the resemblance isn't that close. It might be the eyes and the colouration.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has there ever been a recorded bite or attack from these on humans?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has there ever been a recorded bite or attack from these on humans?
Yes theres been bites, but more then that I cant say - the paper i read it in is packed somewhere
Non fatal but serious flesh wounds.