G. rosea wont eat

whamslam3

Arachnopeon
it has been a very long time since my G. rosea has eaten anythin. she stopped eating after one of her pedipalp came off and tht was in dec. 2012 now she just strted recently just killing the crickets instead of just ignoring them but not actually eating them. whats wrong?

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
only 3 months passed, that's not big deal. they ae notorious for fasting and some roseas go over a year. if it exceeds 18 months then you can start to worry

whamslam3

Arachnopeon
When did it last molt?
she hasnt since ive got her so thts weird too ive had her for a while now
only 3 months passed, that's not big deal. they ae notorious for fasting and some roseas go over a year. if it exceeds 18 months then you can start to worry
will its mainly cuz she stopped right after she lost her pedipalp and now she recently just strted killing the crickets but not eating them.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
she hasnt since ive got her so thts weird too ive had her for a while now

will its mainly cuz she stopped right after she lost her pedipalp and now she recently just strted killing the crickets but not eating them.
If her abdomen isn't shrinking I wouldn't worry. If she's having no trouble killing them, then she probably just isn't hungry. ;)

whamslam3

Arachnopeon
is it weird tht she hasnt molted yet? how long can they go without molting?

morri

Arachnopeon
is it weird tht she hasnt molted yet? how long can they go without molting?
How big is she? And yeah it sounds like she isn't hungry. Just keep a water dish with clean water available. My sub adult male g.rosea has just stopped a hunger/ molt fast. Stubborn thing didn't eat for about 6 months. I was also worried, but they do this.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
shes only bought the size of my palm and skinny
G. rosea do everything slowly. Everything.

You said you've only had her since December; it's only been a couple of months. About the size of your palm is a bit imprecise, but it sounds large enough to take a long time.

One possibility (anyone else care to comment?) -- if you mean "leggy" when you say "skinny" then it could be a male. Do you have a picture? If you mean "small abdomen" then that's a different discussion.

whamslam3

Arachnopeon
G. rosea do everything slowly. Everything.

You said you've only had her since December; it's only been a couple of months. About the size of your palm is a bit imprecise, but it sounds large enough to take a long time.

One possibility (anyone else care to comment?) -- if you mean "leggy" when you say "skinny" then it could be a male. Do you have a picture? If you mean "small abdomen" then that's a different discussion.
o sry not Dec my bad iv prob had her for bout a year or more.
and here is a pic

Last edited:

jakykong

Arachnobaron
She's... uh... not skinny. No offense. ;)

Looks healthy to me. I would just try a cricket every so often until she decides to eat again. Or molts. Whichever comes first.

(I didn't suggest cricket soup only because she is capable of killing them, but just to be sure: You said that she lost a pedipalp. Her fangs are intact, though, right?)

morri

Arachnopeon
Just by this picture alone she seems ok. I mean there is no bald spot which tells me she isn't stressed kicking her hairs off. The abdomen seems of right size and not shriveled. I also think she is not ready for a molt as her abdomen has no major black spot that would indicate an upcoming molt. Roseas are notorious for hunger strikes, and like said above do everything slow. Just keep fresh water and offer her a cricket periodically. If she refuses it, or kills it try again in a little while. It's important to keep fresh water available.
One thing, does she have a burrow? At first when my rosea was my first T and I was still learning I didn't have a burrow for mine, or I kept disrupting it so I could see him. He got really stressed and stopped eating. I'm not saying you are doing this but I bring it up just in case it is valid to you.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
One thing, does she have a burrow? At first when my rosea was my first T and I was still learning I didn't have a burrow for mine, or I kept disrupting it so I could see him. He got really stressed and stopped eating. I'm not saying you are doing this but I bring it up just in case it is valid to you.
Not many G. rosea burrow in captivity. Do you mean if she has a hide?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks great! If you've had her for a year or more she may be fasting to prepare for a moult, or she may just be fasting cause she's a rosea. Either way, try feed her once a week, if she ignores it take it out and if she eats it cool, it's all good in any case. Water is more important than food

morri

Arachnopeon
Not many G. rosea burrow in captivity. Do you mean if she has a hide?
Ah, yes. Sorry slip of proper wording.
What I mean is a hide, like a cork log or something similar to "hide" under.
Thanks for correcting me :)

whamslam3

Arachnopeon
She's... uh... not skinny. No offense. ;)

Looks healthy to me. I would just try a cricket every so often until she decides to eat again. Or molts. Whichever comes first.

(I didn't suggest cricket soup only because she is capable of killing them, but just to be sure: You said that she lost a pedipalp. Her fangs are intact, though, right?)
yes she lost 1 pedipalp but the fangs seem fine. i have no idea how she lost it tho. one day i looked at her and it (pedipalp) was laying on the floor of the cage.

Ah, yes. Sorry slip of proper wording.
What I mean is a hide, like a cork log or something similar to "hide" under.
Thanks for correcting me :)
yes she has a hide here ill show u the cage

Zeezums

Arachnosquire
She looks very healthy. I agree with everyone's advice on here, offer her a cricket every week or so. She'll eat when she wants to! You just have to have patience!

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't worry about it not eating, I've had my rosea for around 9 years, and she's only eaten 6 or 7 times since i got her, and it looks pretty healthy.