G. rosea vs. daddy long legs

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes this thread has gotten this pointless...

Obviously, you've never seen that episode of "Myth Busters Busters," in which the myth the myth busters busted is busted because the myth busters busters busted the myth busters' bust even better than the bust they themselves busted. It's pretty compelling.

You are aware that "daddy long legs" are extremely poisonous and, assuming he could have gotten a bite in on your T, your T could have become very sick and even died, right?

Well actually.. It hasn't been proven as there are no instances of a daddy long legs actually biting anything or anyone.
I am pretty sure "myth busters" even did an episode about the subject.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=94593&highlight=how+poisionous

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.asp

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsectarthropods/f/daddylongvenom.htm

akstylish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just bought a 2004 Lincoln Aviator, loaded. I took it out to work, there was a hail storm today. I guess I should just keep my SUV in my garage and never drive it cause the sun might damage it, it might get hit by lightning, a bird might poop on it, some crazy kids might skateboard over it, i might get into an accident, god might smite me down cause I'm wiccan, blah blah blah.
Yeah. What a mautre way to make fun of a tarantula noob. :rolleyes: All I knew was daddy long legs can't penetrate a human's skin and their venom is dangerous only to its preys.

I learned my lesson. No need to beat up the dead horse. Delete/lock the thread please.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are aware that "daddy long legs" are extremely poisonous and, assuming he could have gotten a bite in on your T, your T could have become very sick and even died, right?

Fortunately this is not what happened and apparently the DLL was not able to bite him.. But I really think that was a very unwise and irresponsible thing to do.

No they don't, it's a myth. Harvestmen (daddy longlegs) aren't spiders. They don't even have venom glands, much less fangs. The spiders mythbusters used weren't even daddy longlegs, they were cellar spiders.

squinn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think this thread has jumped the shark. Perhaps attempting to feed a daddy long legs to a T was poor judgement on the posters part, but i think he has been beaten into submission in this thread poor judgement should not lead to this kind of browbeating, perhaps in the future a gentler approach would be more productive. I still stand behind my statement that farmed crickets probably have a much higher concentration of parasites than what you would catch in the wild do to unsanitary conditions and population density.

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught a harvestman a few weeks ago, bugger bit me.
didn't really hurt tho.
as for the cobweb spiders, they CAN bite a human, and it would sting a bit. but it's not considered medically significant in volume or potency.
just another wee spider, common enough in human dwellings to have a few alarmist myths.

I would think a spiders method of digesting prey before consumption might give it a bit of an edge when it comes to protection against many parasites.
even so, its a risk.

I don't think crickets can be considered particularly safe from parasitic contamination, what with fungus gnats, museum beetles, and Indian moths frequently invading their food and substrate, and often becoming a part of their food as well.

There's always a risk. even with safer practices. There's simply no way to prevent insect culture contamination, insects are everywhere, they will get into anything not sealed off completely. arachnids too. not to mention nematodes, bacteria, fungus, (regular and imperfecti)

I don't think I've ever seen commercially available crickets that weren't contaminated with some opportunistic wild insect.

Even tarantula substrate, how many of us take the precaution of sterilizing all substrates and performing enough follow up sterilizations to actually outrun exposure to some foreign visitor?

Can we be certain that cricket farmers always use organic vegetables and grains? between cannibalism and cumulative effects of pesticides and preservatives in a isolated food chain (such as a commercial cricket farm) there would naturally be pesticides accumulating in the uppermost predator. (the pet being fed). It might not have a noticeable effect on the crickets which would only be vectors for these unavoidable contaminants in human-produced food. Nobody worries about the crickets leading full, healthy lives, one could overlook a polluted population as they generally are sold early in life before symptoms of poisons manifest. Even so, mortality would be masked by cannibalism of the dead, concentrating toxins and creating further latency of morbidity to be passed on.

As a parable in human food supplies, Sludge is a waste product of sewage treatment, Often used as fertilizer for animal feed.
The toxins in sludge are from us. We used them in industry and contaminated our food supply from the lowest rung on the chain to the highest. We got the worst of them from being high on the food chain, and by feeding produce to out meat animals, we re uptake these toxins in ever-increasing concentrations. In some states where this practice has always been common, there is statistically higher incidence of environmentally-associated cancers in populations of humans who consume meat products from this system.

If can't escape our own toxins, how can we ever hope to really protect our pets?

Well, theres really no point for this observation I guess.

Just a little self-cultivated food-for-thought, Not guarenteed unpolluted.

mistercurls

Arachnopeon
I caught a harvestman a few weeks ago, bugger bit me.
didn't really hurt tho.
as for the cobweb spiders, they CAN bite a human, and it would sting a bit. but it's not considered medically significant in volume or potency.
just another wee spider, common enough in human dwellings to have a few alarmist myths.

I would think a spiders method of digesting prey before consumption might give it a bit of an edge when it comes to protection against many parasites.
even so, its a risk.

I don't think crickets can be considered particularly safe from parasitic contamination, what with fungus gnats, museum beetles, and Indian moths frequently invading their food and substrate, and often becoming a part of their food as well.

There's always a risk. even with safer practices. There's simply no way to prevent insect culture contamination, insects are everywhere, they will get into anything not sealed off completely. arachnids too. not to mention nematodes, bacteria, fungus, (regular and imperfecti)

I don't think I've ever seen commercially available crickets that weren't contaminated with some opportunistic wild insect.

Even tarantula substrate, how many of us take the precaution of sterilizing all substrates and performing enough follow up sterilizations to actually outrun exposure to some foreign visitor?

Can we be certain that cricket farmers always use organic vegetables and grains? between cannibalism and cumulative effects of pesticides and preservatives in a isolated food chain (such as a commercial cricket farm) there would naturally be pesticides accumulating in the uppermost predator. (the pet being fed). It might not have a noticeable effect on the crickets which would only be vectors for these unavoidable contaminants in human-produced food. Nobody worries about the crickets leading full, healthy lives, one could overlook a polluted population as they generally are sold early in life before symptoms of poisons manifest. Even so, mortality would be masked by cannibalism of the dead, concentrating toxins and creating further latency of morbidity to be passed on.

As a parable in human food supplies, Sludge is a waste product of sewage treatment, Often used as fertilizer for animal feed.
The toxins in sludge are from us. We used them in industry and contaminated our food supply from the lowest rung on the chain to the highest. We got the worst of them from being high on the food chain, and by feeding produce to out meat animals, we re uptake these toxins in ever-increasing concentrations. In some states where this practice has always been common, there is statistically higher incidence of environmentally-associated cancers in populations of humans who consume meat products from this system.

If can't escape our own toxins, how can we ever hope to really protect our pets?

Well, theres really no point for this observation I guess.

Just a little self-cultivated food-for-thought, Not guarenteed unpolluted.
:clap: Bravo:clap:

I say on that note, end of discussion....

Makaveli319

Arachnopeon
Right on brother

Let the kid have some fun with the rose hair, what is life without risk.

I just bought a 2004 Lincoln Aviator, loaded. I took it out to work, there was a hail storm today. I guess I should just keep my SUV in my garage and never drive it cause the sun might damage it, it might get hit by lightning, a bird might poop on it, some crazy kids might skateboard over it, i might get into an accident, god might smite me down cause I'm wiccan, blah blah blah.

Seriously. ;P
I've been keeping Tarantulas and Scorpions for nearly 18 years now (wow, am I THAT old?) and my first Rosie was with me for nearly 12 of those years. When I started, I was just a stupid kid and fed her the biggest, meanest things I could find. While obviously I'm not advocating that, the point is, she gave me hours and hours of fun and was the single reason I am now in this hobby.

I try to take the best care of my spiders and scorps that I can; however, one of the main reasons I like them is because they're hard and tough. So it would really defeat that purpose if I treated each one of them like fragile porcelain vases that will die with every wild-caught insect, or every minute of high humidity or low temperature.

Just my 2c.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let the kid have some fun with the rose hair, what is life without risk.

Seriously. ;P
lol birds MIGHT? poop on it...birds ALWAYS POOP ON EVERYTHING. good luck lol you could park in a lab cleanroom and somehow end up with bird crap on the car. sorry..had to vent about birds pooping on cars