G. rosea Sexing

Erebus

Arachnosquire
I know I've been posting a lot lately, it's because bringing home my new T'a has brought up a lot of questions for me. I have a G. rosea that I've been hoping was a female since I got it. However the only molt I have from it is from November 2012. Would it be possible to sex it from that molt?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Certainly, if the area you need to look at is intact. CAREFULLY wet it down with a bit of soapy water, spread it out on a dish. You'll be looking on the inside, between the upper set of booklungs.

Marga

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree, if it's not completely intact (abdomen region) then it will be hard to tell, if it's (intact) then as above^, wet it a little then part each side till. you see the opening between the bookl-lungs (furrow) will be open, I have a couple of decent Female G,Rosea molt pics in my gallery if you want to look, it could give you clues to what yours is.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On the other hand if the moult is too mutilated then you can have the rosea sexed ventrally (depending on it's size) In either case, post either picture on here and someone will help you for sure =)

And don't be afraid to ask questions, we all remember what getting our first was like, so much uncertainty and what we really needed was someone to help, so you're in the right place =)

Erebus

Arachnosquire
Okay, thanks. About how big would it have to be to be ventrally sexed? Mine is about 4"+, but I have horrible guesstimating skills.

Brizzl

Arachnosquire
2" plus is usually a good general size. Go ahead, post pics away.

Erebus

Arachnosquire
Thanks! Any idea how I could take some pics of its underside?

Erebus

Arachnosquire
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking a camera's going to be involved in there somewhere.
I know, I just don't know how to get pics of its underside without stressing it out too much. Plus I just moved her into a new cage today.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know, I just don't know how to get pics of its underside without stressing it out too much. Plus I just moved her into a new cage today.
Just wait for it to crawl up on the walls of its enclosure a bit. Or pinch grab it and take a picture, or set it on some clear glass and take a photo from underneath. Invite someone here over to your house and have them figure out some new ways to take pictures of a tarantula's underside. Read some books on tarantula ventral sexing photoshoots.

Plissken

Arachnopeon

Erebus

Arachnosquire
Setting it on clear glass sounds like the easiest way to get a pic. Hopefully I can get some pics taken and put onto my computer by next weekend, gives it time to settle in to its new cage and me time to find a piece of glass. While I'm at it, I'll try to get pics of my two other tarantulas.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Setting it on clear glass sounds like the easiest way to get a pic. Hopefully I can get some pics taken and put onto my computer by next weekend, gives it time to settle in to its new cage and me time to find a piece of glass. While I'm at it, I'll try to get pics of my two other tarantulas.
The biggest probelms we run into with vent sexing pics are focus and glare. Get a a few good close ups in focus and without glare, & we have a fighting chance of figuring out the sex.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The biggest probelms we run into with vent sexing pics are focus and glare. Get a a few good close ups in focus and without glare, & we have a fighting chance of figuring out the sex.
+1 to this, the amount of times we receive blurry pics with a "please sex my T" caption is quite astounding lol The pic needs to be clear for an accurate sexing, once you get a clear shot post it on this thread, at 4" it will be easy to sex ventrally

Erebus

Arachnosquire
Would it matter if the glass is tinted? I have a piece of glass, but its got a blueish tint to it. Getting a clear pic is no problem, I'd just have to borrow my uncle's camera.

lancej

Arachnolord
As long as the picture is in focus, color shouldn't be an issue. What you have to remember is, when sexing ventrally, we are sexing based on HAIRS and the patterns they make. So make sure the hairs around the furrow are in focus.

Erebus

Arachnosquire
Okay, I guess its a good thing I take a photography glass in school.