G. rosea male matured 3 years ago molted last night!

Keeper

Arachnopeon
Soliel, hooked out about 3 years ago, so you might imagine my surprise when I peeked in and saw him on his back. I've been keeping and caring for tarantulas and scorpions for about 13 years and have never seen this happen. He is almost 6 years old total, he has mated with my female G. rosea Zoey twice. Good to see his rusty colour all new and vibrant again.
Anyone else seen a fully matured male of any species have a second "mature molt"?

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's awesome! :clap:

yeah, one of my friend's avic avics tried molting again after maturing, but it's hooks got caught in the old skin and it died :(

cheers, and thx for sharing!

dan

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's crazy! I can't tell exactly what i'm seeing in those pics. Were the palpal emboli damaged in the molt?

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's awesome!! My avic, almost acts like it's trying to find a place because he's been leaning up against the glass sideways, and not moving a whole lot when I touch him. I'm hoping there is hope for him yet being mature!!!

Last edited:

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wonder if the ability to molt after maturing is genetically based.

I say mate that champ again and maybe his sons will be like their papa. :D

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this is kind of a big deal.

congrats, this is pretty cool, hope he lives just as long as the females hes stickin it too lol.:eek:

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
page 88 Tarantula Keeper's Guide Schultz lol ;P
Rev
Fides Non Timet

Last edited:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a T that has been a MM for three years? I thought the longest a T could live after maturation was 1 year?

Keeper

Arachnopeon
a T that has been a MM for three years? I thought the longest a T could live after maturation was 1 year?
In my time spent keeping and caring for arachnids, I notice differences in longevity across different species. My C. cyaneopubescens was big, fast, and healthy before he hooked out 8 months ago. Now he is scrawny, rarely eats, and constaly roams his enclosure looking for a mate. My G. rosea on the other hand has been a lazy rock and seems to have no desire to roam. Maybe he caught on that I would pair him up with the ladies, and felt no use in wasting energy to look around. :D

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know of a few Ts that have lived substantially long lives after their ultimate molt. I DON'T however, know of any MMs that lived for 3 years past their ultimate, and then molted AGAIN.

You've got a special boy.

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone mentioned that this was kinda a big deal, I think it a huge deal. You are one of the few keepers that will ever see this.:clap: :clap: :clap:

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's pretty amazing! Congrats to you and him!

Will be interesting to see if he makes sperm webs and carries on as normal. Very cool stuff.