G. Rosea in partial death curl.

Tristian

Arachnopeon
Well, It has to one of two of these problems, either she climbed the tank and fell and received internal injuries, or she was poisoned by either prolonged exposure to her substrate or something I'm unaware of. The only thing I can do is wait it out I guess, she's been in this half dead state for over a month now but I won't discard her until I know she's 100% dead. Definitely never using this substrate for a T. again, I feel like shit for letting this happen...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Tristian everyone has already stated what the likely cause is. I just wanted to say in the future with this or another of the species set it up like mine. Simple set up, 2 oz souffle cup water dish, eco earth or top soil substrate , a smaller hide, and proper height to the top. Feed once every other week.

Once set up they are easier than plants.

Tristian

Arachnopeon
@Tristian everyone has already stated what the likely cause is. I just wanted to say in the future with this or another of the species set it up like mine. Simple set up, 2 oz souffle cup water dish, eco earth or top soil substrate , a smaller hide, and proper height to the top. Feed once every other week.

Once set up they are easier than plants.

Duly noted, I originally intended on getting a B. Smithi but there weren't any available in my area so I settled on a G. Rosea. If she doesn't pull through I'll wait a few months until I get another with a fully proper terrarium.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The only thing I can do is wait it out I guess, she's been in this half dead state for over a month now but I won't discard her until I know she's 100% dead.
What I don't understand is why it took you so long to post here on AB, if you had posted a month ago, we could have helped. IDK, place the T back in its enclosure with proper substrate - coco-fibre/top soil, 50/50 mix. I hope s/he recovers pal.

Tristian

Arachnopeon
What I don't understand is why it took you so long to post here on AB, if you had posted a month ago, we could have helped. IDK, place the T back in its enclosure with proper substrate - coco-fibre/top soil, 50/50 mix. I hope s/he recovers pal.
I just assumed it was dehydration and that she'll recover but clearly that's not the case. I didn't even know this site existed until yesterday when someone recommended it. I never seen her climb the tank so I wouldn't have thought a fall could be the problem, as for poison, I never fed her anything but store bought crickets and pesticides or anything that could be toxic were never used in my room for as long as I've lived here. At the moment I'm as poor as dirt, ironically I can't even afford dirt. But I'm keeping her in a ICU until I can buy some proper substrate.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I just assumed it was dehydration and that she'll recover but clearly that's not the case. I didn't even know this site existed until yesterday when someone recommended it. I never seen her climb the tank so I wouldn't have thought a fall could be the problem, as for poison, I never fed her anything but store bought crickets and pesticides or anything that could be toxic were never used in my room for as long as I've lived here. At the moment I'm as poor as dirt, ironically I can't even afford dirt. But I'm keeping her in a ICU until I can buy some proper substrate.
Sorry for the assumption that you knew about Arachnoboards - You can use soil from outside, it should be baked or microwaved to kill any larvae or micro-fauna - try to use a container that is of a suitable size for your spider, ventilated of course. Once again - I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

[EDIT] ICU's do more harm than good, her enclosure would be better.

Tristian

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the assumption that you knew about Arachnoboards - You can use soil from outside, it should be baked or microwaved to kill any larvae or micro-fauna - try to use a container that is of a suitable size for your spider, ventilated of course. Once again - I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

[EDIT] ICU's do more harm than good, her enclosure would be better.
Do you think this container would suffice for now? I used this to house any crickets I bought for her. If so I'll go out to a large park away from buildings and get some soil to fill it with.

Attachments

Ant

Arachnopeon
Not completely blaming you, as you said the T came like this; but that is one of the more appalling and might I add, upsetting, enclosures I have ever seen (I'm sure some of the more experienced guys have seen worse though).

Every cloud though because you've found these forums now and with the advice you'll find on here, your next T will thrive. With any pet, prior research will always benefit yourself and the animal.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Do you think this container would suffice for now? I used this to house any crickets I bought for her. If so I'll go out to a large park away from buildings and get some soil to fill it with.
Yes - the enclosure should be fine, fill it half full with substrate, add a hide, a water dish, some fake plants would look good (also for cover) then it should be good, allow a gap of 1.5 x leg span of your spider. e.g. a 2" spider should have 3" of space between the substrate and the lid of the enclosure.
I hope this helps you help your spider.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I had her in a rather large 10g fish tank, but it never seemed to bother her too much. There's a half log tunnel where she spent most of her time. There's a upside-down 3/4"deep lid for her water-dish. There is no supplemental source of heat, and the substrate is primarily wood chips and purple sand which she came with when I bought her. I know neither are good substrates and I plan on replacing it with coconut fiber soil when and if she recovers. But she never seemed particularly uncomfortable with it until about 2 weeks before she entered the near death like state she is in now. I took out the bedding to see if that would help but it didn't. This is how it looked when I first got her. View attachment 268530
What kind of bedding is that? If it's forest floor it has cypress in it, which is known to be toxic to arachnids.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Don't use soil from outside. Baked or not.

@Tristian if you are looking for B. smithi then you should know the name was changed to B. hamorii a while back.

Tristian

Arachnopeon
Don't use soil from outside. Baked or not.

@Tristian if you are looking for B. smithi then you should know the name was changed to B. hamorii a while back.
You know I was wondering why people were referring to them as that. I had no idea since a lot of websites and youtubers that care for them still call them smithi's.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You know I was wondering why people were referring to them as that. I had no idea since a lot of websites and youtubers that care for them still call them smithi's.
I am attached to the old name personally. I still refer to them as Smithi in my mind to myself. But for the sake of being accurate in the hobby I use the now proper name of hamorii

cold blood

Staff member
At the moment I'm as poor as dirt, ironically I can't even afford dirt.
Actually the dirt you want could be afforded by a homeless person begging at an intersection. A 40lb bag costs $1.37 at home depot.
Its not marketed for plants, but rather for filling holes and leveling ground.

But I'm keeping her in a ICU until I can buy some proper substrate.
Keeping an arid species in an ICU is akin to a torture chamber. Too much moisture is quite detrimental.

You can use soil from outside, it should be baked or microwaved to kill any larvae or micro-fauna
Actually that micro-fauna is highly desirable. Kill everything off and the first thing to colonize will have the soil all to its self....its actually a recipe for massive mold outbreaks. Never sterilize substrate if you can help it.

That enclosure is actually perfect. Just a hide, water dish and half filled with substrate.

Good luck, I hope she pulls through for you, don't blame yourself, all you had to go on was the previous owners bad example. Now that you have found AB, you should have better experiences in the future.

Rouxd

Arachnopeon
Hey tristan, i am glad you joined the forum. I am the person from youtube that commented and suggested this forum. I hope your T recovers and that you can get its home set up easily.
I personally am new (to inverts and here) and just a lurker, but the guys here are great and very knowedgeable. They love these critters and are always willing to help. Its a great community.
Don`t beat youself up, youre trying to do the right thing, and if anything you have gained some valuable knowledge and a great community.
Also fun fact, mr. Dark Den has an account on here as well. I will never understand why youtubers dont plug this forum in every vid description. :)

Tristian

Arachnopeon
Hey tristian, i am glad you joined the forum. I am the person from youtube that commented and suggested this forum. I hope your T recovers and that you can get its home set up easily.
I personally am new (to inverts and here) and just a lurker, but the guys here are great and very knowledgeable. They love these critters and are always willing to help. Its a great community. Don`t beat yourself up, you're trying to do the right thing, and if anything you have gained some valuable knowledge and a great community. Also fun fact, mr. Dark Den has an account on here as well. I will never understand why youtubers don't plug this forum in every vid description. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely refer to this site for any further problems or questions relating to tarantulas.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said take it out of the ICU, they're useless, T's don't absorb moisture through their exoskeleton. Put some dry substrate and a bottlecap or small dish for water in the critter keeper you have her in. G.porteri is from an arid climate, so moisture is more likely to stress her out than help her. Hope she recovers soon.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also is tap water safe for T's?
Tap water is probably fine. The most commonly cited concern is chlorine. However, chlorine is unstable in water -- it can take 24 hours or less for the water to be chlorine-free -- so exposure would be low unless your tarantula drank soon after being watered.

There are other chemicals like chloramine (more stable than chlorine), fluoride, and anti-corrosive additives in tap water. Tarantulas' systems are a lot different from our own, so I'm not sure if these chemicals are toxic to tarantulas in the dosages found in tap water or if the effect is cumulative over time.

That being said, I usually use distilled or other bottled water, because we buy it for ourselves, and the tarantulas don't need much. (Tap water leaves unsightly mineral residue on the sides of the enclosure if they get splashed.)

Some previous discussions of water:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually the dirt you want could be afforded by a homeless person begging at an intersection.
Ah! There's certain beggars that here in Italy, after a day of that in said intersection, can afford that substrate, a brand new enclosure, and a 0.1 Thrigmopeus psychedelicus :shifty: