G Rosea hates new substrate

2fargon

Arachnopeon
Hi guys. I just replaced the "repti bark" substrate in my G. Rosea's enclosure with 100% peat moss and he hates it! He's leaned against the side of the glass trying to get off the moss and won't move. Should I go back to the Repti Bark he was used to or maybe try some coconut fiber, etc? I changed to the moss because he kept trying to burrow into the bark and I also wanted to rraise the level of the substrate because he was climbing and I don't want him to get injured. Any advice appreciated!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do not switch back. Reptibark is a horrible substrate for Ts to begin with. Did you pack the peat down or is it loose? I would suggest packing it down. Is it moist any?

Post some pics of your setup.

2fargon

Arachnopeon
I packed it down decently but it was still getting stuck to his legs and drove him nuts. It is very slightly damp but not wet. Will try to get a pic up here

2fargon

Arachnopeon
Here's the setup with the new substrate. I saw a picture of something similar and thought it would work well as this guy likes to have a cozy hide and he had been trying to burrow. Notice the spider clinging to the side lol
gus3.jpg

DannyH

Arachnobaron
You're T's abdomen is massive...

On a more related note, it could be because the substrate is damp. If you can, try putting it in the sun (without the T inside, of course) to dry it. Roseas like it pretty much dry other than a water dish.

ArkanoviTigrovi

Arachnosquire
If the substrate isnt dry he will try to cling onto the walls and not touch the substrate. This may be the reason.

MMAFogg

Arachnosquire
His Abdomen is HUGE!!!!

Id go for Cocofibre, cant really go wrong with it, My G.Rosea is fine with it.

A lot of people say he needs to touch the roof, as long as you have 5-5 inches he should be fine, mine has a glass enclosure and cant grip the glass so even if he stands as high as he can he cant fall farther than if he could touch the roof.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
+1 on cocofibre. You might want to consider a shorter tank also. I doubt a rosea will burrow enough to take advantage of the substrate depth that would be required to make that tank safe for the T. A 10-15 gallon short tank seems to be the perfect size for these guys. As was already mentioned, she's probably up on the glass because of the damp substrate. Most of those sold in the bag will have a good amount of moisture in them before you even add any water, so it's a good idea to let them air out before setting up the enclosure for a species that likes it dry. That is without a doubt the fattest T I've ever seen btw :)

2fargon

Arachnopeon
I'm replying from the hospital on my phone so bear with me guys. I did notice that the moss was sticking to his/ her feet when he was walking and I'm guessing that since he lives by feel he was probably pretty freaked out. I will raise the substrate up. Are you guys suggesting he might be a pregnant female?

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 05:43 PM ----------

I did get him from a pet store

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I'm replying from the hospital on my phone so bear with me guys. I did notice that the moss was sticking to his/ her feet when he was walking and I'm guessing that since he lives by feel he was probably pretty freaked out. I will raise the substrate up. Are you guys suggesting he might be a pregnant female?

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 05:43 PM ----------

I did get him from a pet store
Yeah, he may be. Don't be surprised if you get an egg sac someday. I really know nothing about caring for T's with egg sacks, but I'm sure that there is a ton of info on the boards. You may be able to sell the slings to a breeder wholesale. And about the moss, yeah, it might stick to his/her feet when its damp. Once it gets dryer you're T will come down.

2fargon

Arachnopeon
Well I came home this evening planning to raise the substrate and he/she has gone into the hide and blocked the entrance with web and substrate! I'm going go go ahead and leave him alone and hope he knows what he's doing.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Well I came home this evening planning to raise the substrate and he/she has gone into the hide and blocked the entrance with web and substrate! I'm going go go ahead and leave him alone and hope he knows what he's doing.
Cross your fingers!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Maybe a molt? Mine hasn't done this yet. Keep us informed!

2fargon

Arachnopeon
Here's a picture of his progress from earlier. It's almost totally closed now!
gus4.jpg