G. rosea from the depths of hell!

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
Well tried to cup the old girl and she literally jumped at me in her enclosure when I got near her. As a couple of paragraphs from The Tarantula's Keepers Guide states,

About 1 out of every 1,000 roses bites and the bite causes swelling and
intense pain for several hours to a day. Nobody has yet lost life or limb
over such a bite, however. If your rose begins to rear back and raises its
front legs in a threatening posture as you try to pick her up, maybe you
should label it a look-but-don't-touch pet or take it back to the pet shop
for another one. The other 999 out of 1,000 will make perfect hand pets if
you follow the basic rules.

I guess I won't be picking her up.... My luck. argh! :wall:

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they all have a reputation for being unpredictable. Usually my girl is just as calm as can be but every so often she can be a real b****. :D

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
Lol my g. Porteri (so close to the g rosea that until recently they were the same species) is the same, bless her. We have reallt beat the odds lol :p

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
Guess I better stay away from Vegas. :razz:
Think she has a little OBT in her.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try again with her. As newer keepers get used to their T's they start to learn the difference betwen prey aggression, startled movement and actual defensive behavior. If she lunged at you without threat displaying, odds are she misinterpreted you as food. In spite of their docile nature, G. rosea can be very prey-aggressive. They also sense your tension and respond in kind. If you are nervous, she will also be nervous.

Try relaxing, move slowly yet with confidence and let her feel your motions through the soil, so she doesn't think you're a cricket. Drop cup, scoot her in and remove. Voila!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G. rosea was a little psycho, for me he would throw up a threat display if i came near the tank and god forbid I put tongs or something in there with him he'd go from calm to being super defensive and get it out/away from him. but prior to his moult he was super calm....

loudan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea my rosea is pure evil too!! she was nice before she molted then, boom!! free hugs,i cant even put water in the bowl w\o her tryna eat it

B00

Arachnopeon
I had a angry Rosie experience just a day ago. I had to clean out my Rosie's water dish, so like always I had to lure her into her hide (she always confronts me and will bite with little provoking). This time she was on top of her hide and crawled in upside down. I thought it was safe to proceed. A few seconds later my Rosie pops out from her hide (like she was spring loaded or something) still upside down! She was waving her front legs, bearing her fangs, and bobbing in and out of her hide. It was a strange thing to see. I got a photo, wish I had a video cam handy.

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
A few seconds later my Rosie pops out from her hide (like she was spring loaded or something) still upside down! She was waving her front legs, bearing her fangs, and bobbing in and out of her hide. It was a strange thing to see. I got a photo, wish I had a video cam handy.

Hahaha {D That's so funny! I would have loved to see that on video :p

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Funny that the roseas are so unpredictable. I have one rosie that's fairly chill... one that grabs at anything that moves, and one that is just plain mean. On the other hand, I have a hentzi that will strike at the slightest movement... so who knows.

Are the RCF roseas less threat-quick than the others? I haven't tried to handle any of the roseas I have (9? ).

Marga

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a angry Rosie experience just a day ago. I had to clean out my Rosie's water dish, so like always I had to lure her into her hide (she always confronts me and will bite with little provoking). This time she was on top of her hide and crawled in upside down. I thought it was safe to proceed. A few seconds later my Rosie pops out from her hide (like she was spring loaded or something) still upside down! She was waving her front legs, bearing her fangs, and bobbing in and out of her hide. It was a strange thing to see. I got a photo, wish I had a video cam handy.
That is an awesome picture! Love it!

When I fed my smaller rosea last week, she didn't eat the crix so I had to corral them to get them out. Well, she was Not Happy with me. She retreated into her hide (not upside down, just the regular way) and threw up her legs and chelicerae at me, and stayed like that for a good hour or so after I had gotten out the last stubborn cricket. All I could see of her weas legs and fangs. Teehee! :D A day later, she kicked off all her urticating hairs in the webbing in front of her hide.