G.rosea are non venomous ( lol )

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I was in Critters pet shop in allen park MI buying a checkered garter snake wich I was givvin wrong info on feeding it. This will be my last purchase from them. While I was ther another customer was asking about the G.rosies. He was told to feed it pinky mice all the time and that they cant climb glass, and they DO NOT have any venom. I tried to correct the salees kid but he was 100 percent correct on everything.I talked to the customer and he seemed like some1 that doesnt need to have a Tarantula for a pet. He told me that if it ever got out or struck him he was going to step on it. I was wandering if ther is a such thing on this planet as a Tarantula that does not have venom. ( just to be safe ).I would also like opinions on what I should do about this place. They do not take care of their reptiles at all. Their chameleons are always suffering from calcium deffinsioncey. ( lol on the spelling ) Their snakes always have old skin stuck to them. I see dead Ts and scorpions in there everytime I go in their. and dead anoles. I would just like them to stop making their reptiles suffer. they take good care of all the fish.:?:8o:evil::confused::evil::evil::evil::evil:

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Every tarantula on this planet has venom. Most have very weak venom though. However, with species like G. rosea, 8 times out of 10, when they bite, it is just a dry bite. Dry bite meaning a bite where no venom was actually injected. Maybe the worker herd this and misunderstood it. And honestly, there isn't much you can do. Try to call and talk to the store owner.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every tarantula on this planet has venom. Most have very weak venom though. However, with species like G. rosea, 8 times out of 10, when they bite, it is just a dry bite. Dry bite meaning a bite where no venom was actually injected. Maybe the worker herd this and misunderstood it. And honestly, there isn't much you can do. Try to call and talk to the store owner.
8 out of 10? I'm curious where you got that info?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 out of 10? I'm curious where you got that info?
Geez chill out. I'm pretty sure it was just an educated guess. You're acting like something extremely farfetched was just stated. Those seem like pretty good odds anyway.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Geez chill out. I'm pretty sure it was just an educated guess. You're acting like something extremely farfetched was just stated. Those seem like pretty good odds anyway.
All I did was ask because I've never heard that. I also wanted to know how those statistics were found out.

75% of statistics are made up on the spot, including this one.
{D {D {D {D {D

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Contact the United States Department of Agriculture/USDA. They can pull a field vet into that pet store if there is a written complaint send to them about one. Also contact your local news channels, all of them, and see if they think pet stores in your local area need to be covered as an "undercover story". You can contact your local animal rescues & tell them about your experience, they also will be able to go in there & tell the owner what they think & let their contacts know about them & spread the word. Ususally all it takes with pet stores is a little public pressure to get their pocketbook hurt & they change. Just got to keep on top of it. Same thing goes for chain pet stores. Kim

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Contact the United States Department of Agriculture/USDA. They can pull a field vet into that pet store if there is a written complaint send to them about one. Also contact your local news channels, all of them, and see if they think pet stores in your local area need to be covered as an "undercover story". You can contact your local animal rescues & tell them about your experience, they also will be able to go in there & tell the owner what they think & let their contacts know about them & spread the word. Ususally all it takes with pet stores is a little public pressure to get their pocketbook hurt & they change. Just got to keep on top of it. Same thing goes for chain pet stores. Kim
Or just have a chat with the store owner and tell him you were disappointed to hear his staff giving out poor advice recently.

Tiny316

Arachnopeon
Hey new to site and I had so question bout my h.lividum if any body had any tips on them cuz I think I'm having a problem with her

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey new to site and I had so question bout my h.lividum if any body had any tips on them cuz I think I'm having a problem with her
Post in the right section and create your own thread. You're highjacking someone elses threa here by bringing up a topic that has nothing to do with the thread.

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
Or just have a chat with the store owner and tell him you were disappointed to hear his staff giving out poor advice recently.
Let it be stated that this is just in my area but when it comes to the pet store owners they dont give a flying f***. I've talked to employees and all the owners ever seem to care about is if the animal is in view, they dont care if its stressed, improperly housed or improperly cared for. As long as customers can see it the owner is happy. Also most owners that I've ran into will argue till the end of time that they are right and you are wrong, not matter what evidence you present them.
Now as stated that is only in my area.
:D:D:D

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon

I like this idea. Ill get right on it.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Contact the United States Department of Agriculture/USDA. They can pull a field vet into that pet store
Great idea!! Let's call in all the government authorities we can every time someone comes up with a trivial issue regarding tarantulas!!! That should do wonders for the hobby, and even waste government (taxpayer) resources at the same time.

No, on second thought let's put this into a reasonable perspective and try to be a little educational. Print out a care sheet or two and give it to the manager of the store. Give them a couple references, such as TKG or this forum. Do something positive and productive.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it were me, I'd just pass by the and talk to the manager. I'd point out the sick/dead animals while I'm talking to them, just so that they're fully aware that at least one customer is disgusted with the condition of their reptiles/inverts. It's basically letting them know that their livestock(merchandise) is absolute crap.

Last edited:

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
Great idea!! Let's call in all the government authorities we can every time someone comes up with a trivial issue regarding tarantulas!!! That should do wonders for the hobby, and even waste government (taxpayer) resources at the same time.

No, on second thought let's put this into a reasonable perspective and try to be a little educational. Print out a care sheet or two and give it to the manager of the store. Give them a couple references, such as TKG or this forum. Do something positive and productive.
Woa man, you need to chill out. Did you read his whole post? Theres a lot more going on at that pet store than just some teenager giving the wrong info about a tarantula. Go back, read the WHOLE post, and before you get all high and mighty think about what you have to say before typing it out here.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Woa man, you need to chill out. Did you read his whole post? Theres a lot more going on at that pet store than just some teenager giving the wrong info about a tarantula. Go back, read the WHOLE post, and before you get all high and mighty think about what you have to say before typing it out here.
I read the whole post. And I stand by what I said. While in one person's opinion there are some problems in this place, there is nothing that can't first be addressed in a civil manner. I find the mentality that says "call in the troops" for every rumored grievance is a bit foolish and anti-social. Another point to keep in mind is that we have seen only one side of the story presented and have no way to check the accuracy. Everything may be exactly as reported, or the report may be overblown or understated. But unsupported "gossip" is not enough to recommend government intervention. In a time when other people would be happy to close down our hobby, we really don't need to be finding ways to generate negative publicity. If pet shops get busted by government agencies called in by "concerned citizens", PETA gets more ammunition to support its cause. If instead we can educate a pet shop owner and get results, that's a far better approach. If the pet shop owner does not respond to civil actions, then move it up the line. But still do so only to the extent necessary - no need to be dramatic and inflammatory.

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
I read the whole post. And I stand by what I said. While in one person's opinion there are some problems in this place, there is nothing that can't first be addressed in a civil manner. I find the mentality that says "call in the troops" for every rumored grievance is a bit foolish and anti-social. Another point to keep in mind is that we have seen only one side of the story presented and have no way to check the accuracy. Everything may be exactly as reported, or the report may be overblown or understated. But unsupported "gossip" is not enough to recommend government intervention. In a time when other people would be happy to close down our hobby, we really don't need to be finding ways to generate negative publicity. If pet shops get busted by government agencies called in by "concerned citizens", PETA gets more ammunition to support its cause. If instead we can educate a pet shop owner and get results, that's a far better approach. If the pet shop owner does not respond to civil actions, then move it up the line. But still do so only to the extent necessary - no need to be dramatic and inflammatory.
And that is a much more constructive post than your last one :) Much appreciated and I see your point of view now! Thanks!

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I tried talking to the owner and I did recommend this sight and he laughed and said if every 1 believed what they read on the internet every one would have dead pets. Now whats your opinion.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, given the amount of misinformation that circulates on the Web, I can understand his point. Have you tried giving specific recommendations and reliable resources? Printing out care sheets, showing him a copy of The Tarantula Keepers' Guide might accomplish more. I had an episode with a local pet shop about a Theraphosa being kept in very bad conditions. I printed out a care sheet, brought in a copy of TKG, and told them about this site. They accepted the care sheet, looked through the book and asked where to get a copy, and ignored the suggestion to check out this site. But more importantly, they are now keeping the tarantula in better (though not perfect) conditions. There are good reasons why people reject the idea of following internet recommendations, so I can't really hold it against the guy you talked to.