G.Rosea and Webbing

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G.Rosea has been digging and webbing like crazy for the past few days. I've had it for about a 1 1/2 months now and this is the first time it has done either. The webbing is all over the side of the glass and on the subtrate. I use 100% peat. Anyone know what's up?

JonPaul

Arachnopeon
Wow, roseas do act funny, no?

It sounds like a few things.
1: Sperm web... is the webbing like a tent?
2: Impending moult... has it refused food?
3: Wacky rosea....... they are quite wacky.

Not sure if it helped, but I'm sure others know more.

Jp

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine did the same thing, I then whent from %100 peat to potting soil, I figured that my T was unhappy with the sub, i did it yesterday so i am waiting a few days to see what happens

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For these reasons I find Rosies irresistable as pets even with an elaborate collection one still loves those G. rosea.
Though seriously most the behaviors listed could be a deciding factor, another interesting thing I've noticed is that Captive bred Spiders tend to web quite a bit more than Wild caught animals. Or is this observation just a pigment of my imagination?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JonPaul said:
Wow, roseas do act funny, no?

It sounds like a few things.
1: Sperm web... is the webbing like a tent?
2: Impending moult... has it refused food?
3: Wacky rosea....... they are quite wacky.

Not sure if it helped, but I'm sure others know more.

Jp
4: Its a gravid female and she is preparing to lay an egg sac.

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Puppet Master said:
Mine did the same thing, I then whent from %100 peat to potting soil, I figured that my T was unhappy with the sub, i did it yesterday so i am waiting a few days to see what happens
Odly i started with 100 potting soil and my t would climb the glasses all day long :(

It's digging about 1-2 inches into the peat, move on and do another one ect.

It has only webbed half of the 10 gallon tank so far.

I also noticed shinny parts on the T's butt (still don't have the terminologies down :D) that are like strips of shinny black and other spots with a little dot of shinny black? You have to look at it in a angle to notice. Is this the bald spot people talk about?

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bald spot that people talk about is quite literally a bald spot. It only happens with New world tarantulas, as they have uricating hairs. When they flick off these hairs it leaves a bald spot. At first the bald spot will be Tan in colour, eventually the Tan spot will turn black as the new exoskeleton begins to form,the new urticating hairs below the old skin is what causes the tan spot to darken, hence how you know when the tarantula is going to moult from the bald spot turning black =)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
girlsfavtoy said:
Odly i started with 100 potting soil and my t would climb the glasses all day long :(

It's digging about 1-2 inches into the peat, move on and do another one ect.

It has only webbed half of the 10 gallon tank so far.

I also noticed shinny parts on the T's butt (still don't have the terminologies down :D) that are like strips of shinny black and other spots with a little dot of shinny black? You have to look at it in a angle to notice. Is this the bald spot people talk about?
I doubt what you are seeing is a bald spot. As mentioned, bald spots are very easy to spot.

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does your 'bald spot' look anything like the round shiney patch on the abdomen of this Grammostola chalcothrix?

G.chalcothrix
If so, It's just a 'mirror patch'

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So i decided after my G-rosea went into the and closed itself into the pot for over a month i decided to go digging in. Long stroy short, found an egg sac, took it out and put it into a hammock. I'd like to know how can you tell if the eggs are fertile? It's probably been month or so since the egg sack has been made but i don't see any development in the eggs?

I purchased the Rosie from a pet store.