G.Rosea and Hide

Seinfeld-

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female G.Rosea is like halfway thru with closing it self inside it hide.

She put like a mound of dirt at the opening and is webbing the other half up.

????

Thanks
-Steve

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My adult did this a few times too. It will propbely stay in there for a week and then come out.

Seinfeld-

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
My adult did this a few times too. It will propbely stay in there for a week and then come out.
K, i guess ill try and keep this updated.

-Steve

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got my first T almost a month ago and I got 3 more almost 2 weeks ago. (Chaco golden knee, Greenbottle blue, costa rican tiger rump and b. smithi)

My Chaco has been a pig and has now sealed itself up in its half log of cork bark, about a week ago. My B. smithi had also done the same thing in the last 24 hours.

I've seen a few remarks about this behavior on the boards from time to time, from the sounds of it, they probably are full (mine looked like they were ready to burst) and just want to be left alone, I'm not going to offer food until they show themselves again. I've read that when they are ready to eat again they will create an opening and probably sit at the entrance.

It was very interesting to watch the construction however.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chffan1 said:
I got my first T almost a month ago and I got 3 more almost 2 weeks ago. (Chaco golden knee, Greenbottle blue, costa rican tiger rump and b. smithi)

My Chaco has been a pig and has now sealed itself up in its half log of cork bark, about a week ago. My B. smithi had also done the same thing in the last 24 hours.

I've seen a few remarks about this behavior on the boards from time to time, from the sounds of it, they probably are full (mine looked like they were ready to burst) and just want to be left alone, I'm not going to offer food until they show themselves again. I've read that when they are ready to eat again they will create an opening and probably sit at the entrance.

It was very interesting to watch the construction however.
yeah, its no sence feeding them when they are like this. the cricket will probely just die off.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah my Rose decided to do the same thing recently (my first T as well). Sometimes they'll stop eating for months on end in the winter I've heard. I'm just going to wait for her to change her hidey hole before I feed her again. Maybe give it a shot every week or two and see if she'll snach a cricket.

Seinfeld-

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm, now she just blocked the whole opening with dirt, ill just wait for her to show herself, then she gets food.

PSST, this the right thing to do? ;P

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
if a tarantula completely blocks itself into it's hide, it's fairly safe to assume that it doesn't want to eat. Either she's going to molt, or possibly make an eggsac, if she's mature and WC

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B.vagans did this in her plant pot hide she was in there for about 2 weeks, 2 days ago she emerged all smart and purdy :) she was in there moulting

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
joshuapsgirl said:
My E. Campestratus is doing the same thing. She may be getting ready for a molt.
My PZB is doing the same thing, but it just molted two weeks ago. They seems to do this after a good meal too. I think they just want some peace and quite while they digest.