G. Rosea acting funny.

Breeum

Arachnopeon
I've had my G. Rosea "teddy" for quite a while now and I know what to expect out of his molt cycle: his abdomen balds, he kicks if you look at him wrong, stays in his hide, and makes a molt mat. These behaviors are no surprise to me i've seen them all before, but now he's been acting a little funny.

He started balding on his abdomen around 4 months ago which seemed nromal whats not is that
1. He hasn't eaten in probably solid 3 months.

2. When i do attempt to feed him he incredibly aggressively (within a minute) zips out and kills his crickets then instantly drops them and runs back to his hide and never touches them again (I actually took a few overnight videos to be sure he wasn't eating them later or something).

3. He continues to make molt mats but keeps kicking them out of his hide, he now has a little wall of them surrounding his hide. I make sure not to disturb them in case he's building himself a kingsize mat or something.

I have no idea why he's behaving this way but given the time it's been since he started acting funny I'm starting to get concerned. I keep his tank at around 75 degrees with fairly low humidity and a constantly filled water dish. I haven't handled him since his abdomen started balding mainly for his health (and because he might mistake my finger for a cricket and his fangs look pretty nasty!)

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

kinglaz85

Arachnopeon
sounds like a mature male? tarantulas do not "bald" when a molt is coming...

Breeum

Arachnopeon
I don't think he's mature yet he's only about 4 inches, and doesn't have hooks yet. I guess "bald" was bad word choice he usually develops kind of darker spot on his abdomen and his hairs thin out there (might be just from lots of kicking).

Breeum

Arachnopeon
Good news! woke up this morning and found him curled up in a ball with a fresh molt next to him!

Still don't get why it took him this long, but no complaints!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't just lose hair. It's from kicking and has nothing to do with molting.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
As in molt mats you mean sperm webs I guess lol
DOes sound like a mature male to me

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"G.rosea acting funny" ...

That's somewhat of a redundancy, isn't it?

Breeum

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for information (and in some cases less than subtle sarcasm)! I was just confused it's never taken him this long to molt before and he usually isn't so finicky.

TheTarantulaKid

Arachnopeon
I've had my G. Rosea "teddy" for quite a while now and I know what to expect out of his molt cycle: his abdomen balds, he kicks if you look at him wrong, stays in his hide, and makes a molt mat. These behaviors are no surprise to me i've seen them all before, but now he's been acting a little funny.

He started balding on his abdomen around 4 months ago which seemed nromal whats not is that
1. He hasn't eaten in probably solid 3 months.

2. When i do attempt to feed him he incredibly aggressively (within a minute) zips out and kills his crickets then instantly drops them and runs back to his hide and never touches them again (I actually took a few overnight videos to be sure he wasn't eating them later or something).

3. He continues to make molt mats but keeps kicking them out of his hide, he now has a little wall of them surrounding his hide. I make sure not to disturb them in case he's building himself a kingsize mat or something.

I have no idea why he's behaving this way but given the time it's been since he started acting funny I'm starting to get concerned. I keep his tank at around 75 degrees with fairly low humidity and a constantly filled water dish. I haven't handled him since his abdomen started balding mainly for his health (and because he might mistake my finger for a cricket and his fangs look pretty nasty!)

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?
My MF rosie does the same thing, except for the balding and making a molt mat (she molted a few months ago, and a 6 inch rosea is big enough for me).

Breeum

Arachnopeon
No I finally managed to get a look at him in side his hide and i don't see any hooks.

Maybe next time!