G. pulchripes

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I'd say leave her be, your own research kinda suggested that already and tarantulas do tarantula things, I wouldn't worry, unless she gets 'really' meager.
From the sound it, you're just experiencing the normal "I love my spider" paranoia and over-think/worry things, though all is fine, most likely. :)

Edit: Your T isn't stupid - just "special". o_O
The T should perhaps take some life skills programs

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Another update - she (I'm actually starting to think it may be a "he" but for the sake of trying to manifest a lady I'll continue to call her she) has not reburied herself. She was sitting nicely on top of her hide like she was waiting for food so I threw another cricket in an hour ago and she snatched it out of the air. She's looking healthier and has been decently active. :D
Wow. an Air snatch ? They do that ?

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
:wideyed:
I had an Alien scull in there and people got all over me for it because it can fall on it. But its really obvious people have hollow logs and such. I think something will be going back in. thats all there is to it. I think Common sense can have its own factor rather then a bunch of Spider safety fanatics. and overkill precautions costing me spider the visual cool effect to boot. Its not like i was putting spikes or poison plants in it. Although I do appreciate experianced peoples input and there might be the odd thing any novice overlooks.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
:wideyed:
You'll see ;).

Avicularia are very good at it, but my B.kahlenbergi is also very skilled at catching something mid air.

Not sure if it is their eyesight that enables them to do this, like @Jeff23 said. I think they are skilled at perceiving disturbances in the air around them with their setae.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You'll see ;).

Avicularia are very good at it, but my B.kahlenbergi is also very skilled at catching something mid air.

Not sure if it is their eyesight that enables them to do this, like @Jeff23 said. I think they are skilled at perceiving disturbances in the air around them with their setae.
I like that better. And it makes the process more impressive.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I had an Alien scull in there and people got all over me for it because it can fall on it. But its really obvious people have hollow logs and such. I think something will be going back in. thats all there is to it. I think Common sense can have its own factor rather then a bunch of crazies and overkill precautions costing me spider the visual cool effect to boot. Its not like i was puting spikes or poison plants in it. Although I do appreciate experianced peoples input and there might be the odd thing any novice overlooks.
I'll probably put a plastic skull in a big tarantula's enclosure in the future, but it'll be buried on its side pretty far down so it doesn't provide any visual obstruction. I always hated the look of plastic plants and other stuff in the enclosure. All it is is clutter. It looks terrible and makes it hard to see the tarantula. As for falling on the skull, wut? Just make it so the substrate is high enough and the T can't fall far enough to produce any injuries.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I'll probably put a plastic skull in a big tarantula's enclosure in the future, but it'll be buried on its side pretty far down so it doesn't provide any visual obstruction. I always hated the look of plastic plants and other stuff in the enclosure. All it is is clutter. It looks terrible and makes it hard to see the tarantula. As for falling on the skull, wut? Just make it so the substrate is high enough and the T can't fall far enough to produce any injuries.
At first he was falling lots from the top of a ten gallon tank. Id say a good 12 - 15 inches and he was fine . In fact I thought he was climbing up and jumping off. his small size might have had a bit to do with why he was ok though, not so heavy, not such a hard fall

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It depends on what kind of skull it is. Most skulls have protruding edges or horns and sharp parts on them, on which a tarantula can trip and get hurt. No, i am not kidding, their abdomens are that fragile.
As for plants being clutter, some species need that clutter to thrive, instead of just surviving. Avicularia needs clutter to make webtubes to feel safe. My GBB's like clutter to anchor their webcastles to.
T visibility is nice, but i rather have webbed up enclosure with some feet sticking out than a crystal clear barren enclosure with a huddled up miserable spider all scrunched up in a corner.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
It depends on what kind of skull it is. Most skulls have protruding edges or horns and sharp parts on them, on which a tarantula can trip and get hurt. No, i am not kidding, their abdomens are that fragile.
As for plants being clutter, some species need that clutter to thrive, instead of just surviving. Avicularia needs clutter to make webtubes to feel safe. My GBB's like clutter to anchor their webcastles to.
T visibility is nice, but i rather have webbed up enclosure with some feet sticking out than a crystal clear barren enclosure with a huddled up miserable spider all scrunched up in a corner.
I should've explained myself a bit better. I'll give my Ts a hide and if they're heavy webbers or arboreal I'll give them the necessary anchor points. But for the Brachys, the Grammostolas, or others that are the pet rock type that never web, It'll just be a hide, a water dish, and one other piece of decor that makes their enclosure look cool or scary and foreboding. Like a skull, or a DVD copy of Transformers 2.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I should've explained myself a bit better. I'll give my Ts a hide and if they're heavy webbers or arboreal I'll give them the necessary anchor points. But for the Brachys, the Grammostolas, or others that are the pet rock type that never web, It'll just be a hide, a water dish, and one other piece of decor that makes their enclosure look cool or scary and foreboding. Like a skull, or a DVD copy of Transformers 2.
That is fun when you're 19...when you're 35, the 'foreboding' enclosures lose their appeal :D
To each his own, but i wanted to get the point across why clutter can be good and skulls bad ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
That is fun when you're 19...when you're 35, the 'foreboding' enclosures lose their appeal :D
To each his own, but i wanted to get the point across why clutter can be good and skulls bad ;)
If I have a 12" Theraphosa apophysis at some point, it's gonna have a doggone skull in it. That is too glorious to pass up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unless it is like mine and the hide is underneath an inch of substrate. One of mine also has three water dishes (2 buried ones). I love the pulchripes!
It's an opinion, it will live fine and reach being adult in a container w/out a hide. I doubt they live like that in the wild ;) Also, for the size it is, I'd put it in something larger.

My AF that I raised from a sling utilizes every part of floor space I give her, regardless of her age or size.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It's an opinion, it will live fine and reach being adult in a container w/out a hide. I doubt they live like that in the wild ;) Also, for the size it is, I'd put it in something larger.

My AF that I raised from a sling utilizes every part of floor space I give her, regardless of her age or size.
That is probably true.
On some of my other containers I have started hot melting the hide to the side of the enclosure (especially on the small 5.5 oz deli cups) where it is easy to accidentally make the hide shift positions when you remove the lid. In that case it might help to keep the T from pushing it down in the substrate as material is removed from under it.