G. pulchripes sling concern

Armpit

Arachnosquire
I have read through threads enough to understand the high probability of my 1/2" sling being in premolt, and that worrying can cause more damage than good. My pulchripes has burrowed itself WAY down to the bottom of it's enclosure, which I know is normal behavior...but it is very moist down there. I mean drops of water moist (but not muddy). The little guy seems fat and healthy enough, and did eat strongly prior to burrowing down...and I suppose it knows best..

I guess I am concerned whether it will be a problem for it to be in so much moisture? This little guy was my very first tiny sling and I want to make sure I don't accidentally become a murderer.

Thanks in advance!

(sorry for posting this in the wrong forum)

Last edited:

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm raising three G. pulchripes slings and they've all displayed this behavior at one time or another. He or she will move if he/she becomes uncomfortable.

Edit - now two inches, they've all sort of decided, as a group, to fill their water bowls with substrate - or - bury them altogether. They also all of a sudden became somewhat fearless, and throw threat displays when disturbed - well, until they realize I'm not a cricket - then they run - it's so adorable.

Last edited:

Armpit

Arachnosquire
Ridiculous. He was my most active T at first, running around with his butt in the air. Such an attitude! How big are yours? I am curious to find out how old he is - Anastasia from Netbugs said he was 9 months, but I feel she may have meant the 1" pulchra I ordered as well.

Tmobo

Arachnopeon
Sounds normal to me. I have 5 G. Pulchripes slings and they all burrow deep or have at some point. I don't think the moist substrate will hurt it any. I usually wet half of each enclosure until it is wet and everything seems fine. I have a 1/4 in. sling about that age and two just a little bigger than it so it could be that old.

Thomas2015

Arachnopeon
My little guy has consistently done that every time. He digs a hole down to the bottom of the cage and then seals it shut for about a month. All of a sudden you walk by and there he is again, but slightly larger! I keep mine on the dry side, and he seems to do alright. Almost 2 inches now coming from about half an inch when I got him!

Armpit

Arachnosquire
I have a 1/4 in. sling about that age and two just a little bigger than it so it could be that old.
ahahaha, so next year it'll be slightly over an inch big then, huh? perhaps i should be looking up fast growing slings...

thanks guys, i worry less now!

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
My Pulchripes seem to grow pretty fast. The first 2 I had grew about 2" or so in about a year. I got some babies a few months ago around 3/4" and some of them have doubled in size. Good luck with you little guy! :)

TreF68

Arachnopeon
When I first got my G pulchripes I put it in coco fiber that was quite moist due to it being hydrated recently. The sling was in premolt, and immediately dug down as far as it could go, just like yours did. Basically the conditions seem the same as yours right now. Anyway, mine was down there for about 3 weeks before it molted and is now coming out. It does not seem to have had any problem whatsoever. I would be cautious about over spraying the substrate from here on, and just let it be. Make sure you have good ventilation and it will dry up pretty quick. Make sure it does not get too dry though. I have read that some moisture is good for a G pulchripes sling.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
When I first got my G pulchripes I put it in coco fiber that was quite moist due to it being hydrated recently. The sling was in premolt, and immediately dug down as far as it could go, just like yours did. Basically the conditions seem the same as yours right now. Anyway, mine was down there for about 3 weeks before it molted and is now coming out. It does not seem to have had any problem whatsoever. I would be cautious about over spraying the substrate from here on, and just let it be. Make sure you have good ventilation and it will dry up pretty quick. Make sure it does not get too dry though. I have read that some moisture is good for a G pulchripes sling.
excellent advice, thank you! i haven't sprayed in a while, because it already seemed to have a good moisture level.

TreF68

Arachnopeon
excellent advice, thank you! i haven't sprayed in a while, because it already seemed to have a good moisture level.
I use coconut fiber, and when its dry it will get light. If you use it, you know what I mean. The top of the fiber gets dry first, so when it looks light on top, I lightly mist. If its not light colored I dont mist at all. It has worked well for me so far.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
I use coconut fiber, and when its dry it will get light. If you use it, you know what I mean. The top of the fiber gets dry first, so when it looks light on top, I lightly mist. If its not light colored I dont mist at all. It has worked well for me so far.
i may have to swap to that, for my G. pulchra sling. The humidity where I am is very inconsistent, and i'm finding it tedious (and stressful to the spiders) to maintain enough humidity in certain containers. I believe he is in pre-molt (fat, turning brown, in a pissy mood, and finally denied food) so i will wait to do anything until well after he molts. But while i'm jumping from topic to topic, is it normal for a sling to molt again two weeks after a molt???

i really should just make a question thread, huh...

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not sure how old they were when I purchased them - but this photo was taken in October 2011.

Doug simulating a molt.jpg

This one, was taken in June of this year.

Laverne 3.jpg