G. Pulchripes feeding advice?

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
This will be my first post on here, so hello to all. In January I purchased my first T, a 1" g. Pulchripes sling. In my care it has molted twice and roughly doubled in size. I have been consistently feeding about three 1/4-3/8" crickets every week or so, excepting in pre-molt and post-molt recovery periods. However since it's getting bigger, should I consider switching to larger prey items or a different feeding frequency? The little T in question is roughly 2-2.5" DLS by my best estimate. It seems to be thriving, but any and all T related advice is appreciated, as this is my first one!

This will be my first post on here, so hello to all. In January I purchased my first T, a 1" g. Pulchripes sling. In my care it has molted twice and roughly doubled in size. I have been consistently feeding about three 1/4-3/8" crickets every week or so, excepting in pre-molt and post-molt recovery periods. However since it's getting bigger, should I consider switching to larger prey items or a different feeding frequency? The little T in question is roughly 2-2.5" DLS by my best estimate. It seems to be thriving, but any and all T related advice is appreciated, as this is my first one!
Edit: I also remove uneaten crickets/ wait to feed if the T is not interested. I'm semi comfortable with a good feeding frequency, just looking for advice on good or larger alternatives to crickets

IvanOoze

Arachnopeon
Hi, i hope all is well with you and your inverts.

Have you tried mealworms? i find they last longer than crickets are easier to manage and keep.
You can leave them pupate into beetles and breed them fairly easily. i keep all of the baby mealworms for my slings and feed the meal worms on oats and bran. il use the lager mealworms for my larger specimens (the bigger ones il feed 2 or 3 mealworms and they will take them with no problems)

The only issue i personally find is that sometimes they wont move once ive dropped them into the enclosure so il have to coax the tarantula by making the worm "wiggle".
My G.pulchripes loves a wiggly mealworm.

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
Hi, i hope all is well with you and your inverts.

Have you tried mealworms? i find they last longer than crickets are easier to manage and keep.
You can leave them pupate into beetles and breed them fairly easily. i keep all of the baby mealworms for my slings and feed the meal worms on oats and bran. il use the lager mealworms for my larger specimens (the bigger ones il feed 2 or 3 mealworms and they will take them with no problems)

The only issue i personally find is that sometimes they wont move once ive dropped them into the enclosure so il have to coax the tarantula by making the worm "wiggle".
My G.pulchripes loves a wiggly mealworm.
Thank you for this advice! My T is doing well with crickets but I just don't like having to keep them lmao

cold blood

Staff member
The size of your prey is really irrelevant to its health or survival...but if you feed larger prey, you will need to feed it much less often.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
use feeders about the size of the Ts body. I'd suggest 1 cricket 2x a week. Too much food and they just fast

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
The size of your prey is really irrelevant to its health or survival...but if you feed larger prey, you will need to feed it much less often.
use feeders about the size of the Ts body. I'd suggest 1 cricket 2x a week. Too much food and they just fast
Thank y'all! I've been doing as much research as I can but there's so much differing information out there

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feed as often as they eat before they get too fat- never on a schedule. Your schedule sounds fine

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Makes sense. I know they will stop eating when they are full/molting
True, but even as adults many will eat until too large - meaning their abdomen drags across sub and until abrasion developed.

They will stop eating they aren’t machines.
Schedules for humans not Ts