G. pulchra vs. B. boehmei

keen

Arachnopeon
i really like them both. im not sure which to get. anybody got some advice?
i like that the g. pulchra is more docile. but i L-O-V-E love the colors on the b.boehmei. what should i get?

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's ton of these threads lately..

I don't know, what are you looking for in a T?

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You might as well face the ineveitable. Buy both. I have both. My pulchra is a bit spazzy and my boehmi is still a sling, so don't know how it will be.

Steph:p

keen

Arachnopeon
display and OCCASIONAL handling. not too much. cleaning times, thats about it. sorry for being "one of those" threads.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have both, they are about 1.5" slings
But they are already showing some color, especially my pulchra. She/he is getting the black velvety look :D

I don't handle them at all since they are slings. They are very easy to care for, and they are slow growers.
They both great appetites and my pulchra has no fear! As soon as I throw in the mealworm or cricket he pounces on it! His name is Shaft until I know if it's a girl :)
My boehmei is a bit more skittish but also has a great appetite and doesn't turn down food unless it's in premolt.
I just go back the next day looking for food boluses or anything that needs to be cleaned and refill their water dish.

I've heard that pulchras are a bit more difficult to come by, so if you have to pick maybe you can pick a pulchra if you can find it. I personally think they are both great and you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i really like them both. im not sure which to get. anybody got some advice?
i like that the g. pulchra is more docile. but i L-O-V-E love the colors on the b.boehmei. what should i get?
I can't help you. I also really want both of these. I would be stuck on which to get myself. I want to sit here and say "if I HAD to pick one, it would be", but I can't. If I was stuck in your boat, I would be saving up until I could get both at once. Both of those are on my "must have" list. I even posted them in the must have thread.

P.S. This is my 100th post.

keen

Arachnopeon
nice. thanks for feedback. i'll probably try to find the pulchra.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
get both... if you get them small they're affordable and if you get them as larger specimens they're about equally expensive:D

i have both and the B boehmi is much more nervous and flicky but very pretty and an incredible eater!

daytona1911

Arachnopeon
I agree , I have both , my Boehmi is a bit more skittish , and also a bit more mobile , but neither one of them are crazy busy. both are handlable , but I dont handle except to clean bedding , and its nice to not to have to worry about them bolting

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pulchra is going to be more expensive for an adult. Significantly so.

What you get sort of depends on what you have already. According to your profile, that's nothing. That being the case I'd recommend Boehmei. More beautiful, just not quite as rare. You can get a pulchra later, but the best way to do that is to get a sling a raise it, and I think that's not a good strategy for someone just starting a collection.

Though for a first T, I'd be more inclined to recommend B smithi or B emilia.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pulchra is going to be more expensive for an adult. Significantly so.

Though for a first T, I'd be more inclined to recommend B smithi or B emilia.
I agree with gvfarns here, however between the Brachypelma boehmei and the Grammostola pulchra, the boehmei will be more skittish. I'd get the G. pulchra, personally.:)

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Personally, I'd go with the G. pulchra.

Despite the membership to the notoriously gentle Brachys, B. boehmei tend to be of skittish temperament, and are hellacious hair-kickers. If this is your first T, I do not recommend learning to handle with this species, though it is possible to do so. To me, Brachy hairs are a bit worse than Grammostola sp. (which don't really bother me), but are no where near Lasiodora hair (which seriously bothers me). The biggest redeeming feature of this species is the bright, high-contrast coloration. Most bug-wary people don't mind ones that look exotic. This little quirk in human nature is probably the reason I still have any friends, being as most of my T's are from colorful species.

Members of the Grammostola genus are known for being fairly even-tempered, but are prone to having mood-swings. While they may not have the striking high-contrast coloration of the B. boehmei, you have to admit that there is something inherantly cool about owning a large (7"+ DLS) jet-black spider. The downside is that everyone has seen a big, black house-spider sometime in their lives, and guests whom may be spider-fearful will not react too favorably to your new "pet."

Both T's are long-lived, frequently out, and will make very attractive display specimens.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Id say pulchra..their pretty easy to maintain and mines usually roaming around.They have mood swings though so be wary.The bohemi is a beautiful t though yet uber skittish, mine is handable but fast

keen

Arachnopeon
thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. as i do really want that highly colorful spider, but, i'd like to star with one that will be handleable. one of my local pet stores has just ordered a g pulchra and said they will hold it for me. i will go with the g pulchra. i do indeed enjoy the fact that i will, in due time, be able to pull out a massive black spider that most will get squeamish over. that will take some time tho. gonna put it on hold, get it next weekend as i am going out of state next week. i'll keep all you posted with a bunch of pics of my new g pulchra "sling".

once again thanks to all of you that contributed to sharing your knowledge with me.

what are some of your g pulchra names?

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My pulchra is named Wednesday from the Addams Family. :D

She's my first and favorite T of all I have. I have a boehmei and he/she is such a hair flicker that despite having pretty legs and all, she has a naked butt all the time which I don't find attractive :D I would definitely go for the pulchra. You can find slings at a reasonable price if you look around.

Let us know what you get! Pics would be great....we LOVE pics! {D

keen

Arachnopeon
yeah i think the sling will be no more than 25. decent price. and thats another thing with the boehmei... they almost all have bald butts.
NOT CUTE:embarrassed:
hence my reasoning for sticking with the pulchra.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i would go with the boehmei :( i missed a few that were on sale a couple days ago.... i'm sad about it :\

keen

Arachnopeon
while my girlfriend doesnt know about it yet... i might pull a sneak attack on her... i got critter keepers! it wont even make noise, she'll never notice{D

... i hope

so in the end i will more than likely end up with both.

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like the boehmei's colors and the pulchra's size.

Pulchra seems like the overall better choice, for the reasons mentioned by everyone else.

If you're planning on a sling, then get the pulchra. If you have the money to splurge a bit, then grab the boehmei and opt for a juvie, since they are such slow growers.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pulchra....it seems the overall bulkiest. Largest fangs per legspan out of any species.