G. pulchra sticking her butt up?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both of our G. pulchra will stick their butt in the air while walking. They are the only spiderlings we have that do this, but it is very comical to watch. This picture was taken 1 molt ago and they still do it at their present size.

Here is the pic:

and here is a video: (disclaimer-this is one of our first taping experiments and i haven't really edited. It demonstrated the movement so well, i rushed to upload it and post it here)

[YOUTUBE]
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBqaI1QJLvk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBqaI1QJLvk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is funny to me b/c I watched one of Jon3800's videos on youtube today where one of his G. pulchripes did this. He responded by saying something like, " Well, that one's not a nice T. I'm definitely not going to trust that one. This is why I don't really trust Grammostolas for handling.".

I cracked up laughing when he said this. If you ever watch his videos he's a little timid of all of his T's even after 16 years experience with them. I don't know it just makes me laugh.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is funny to me b/c I watched one of Jon3800's videos on youtube today where one of his G. pulchripes did this. He responded by saying something like, " Well, that one's not a nice T. I'm definitely not going to trust that one. This is why I don't really trust Grammostolas for handling.".

I cracked up laughing when he said this. If you ever watch his videos he's a little timid of all of his T's even after 16 years experience with them. I don't know it just makes me laugh.
Both of our G. pulchra are very tolerant and non-skittish. i haven't even seen them kick hairs before. That makes me wonder why he thinks that.........

SypheRrr

Arachnopeon
Correct me if I'm wrong, but G.pulchra is an old world t. and doesn't have hair to kick. :?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL that is one chill T, doesn't mind having its belly rubbed...or its chelicerae!

Grammostola pulchra is a NW T. They're from South America. Their common name is Brazilian black

SypheRrr

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks guys, i've must have been confused somehow. :?

P.S found another one, hope the owner doesn't mind.

[YOUTUBE]MhxejlVAKec[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also

i have seen my N. chromatus do this, but not often, interesting perhaps that it is also a Brazilian T...

personal speculation: either stretching or precursor to molt.. idk?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have seen my N. chromatus do this, but not often, interesting perhaps that it is also a Brazilian T...

personal speculation: either stretching or precursor to molt.. idk?
Ours would not fit into that speculation. The first pic was 2 or so weeks after a molt and the video was a week or so ago and it is not in premolt.:D

Condacon

Arachnopeon
Yea, when my pulchra is just hanging around (especially when shes ontop of her heating pad) her legs are fully outstretched vertically and her abdomen is upright like shes about to flick hairs...and she just sits like that! at first i thought i had a mentally crippled spider...,:?

SteveHolt

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchripes is only about 1"

She has never made any sign of aggression or kicked up hairs. Loves to crawl up and down my arm. As I write this she has her abdomen vertical as she walks up my arm.

I'm inclined to believe she's doing this so my arm hair doesn't rub her abdomen.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My G. Rosea does the same thing

He/she molted 2 weeks ago and now keeps going in the corner and sitting like this....very odd!

Rosebud1.JPG

Tarac

Arachnolord
Some of my Pamphos do this as does my Xenesthis. They haven't kicked hairs at me to date.

On the other hand my B. auratum does it and promptly kicks hairs. She's always bald-bummed because she can't resist the urge to flick at every litte thing so I have always accredited this posture to her general defensiveness. Not sure why the Pamphos, etc. do it as they are all very docile. Maybe it doubles as the docile way to say "you are disturbing me, but I don't want to mess up my hairdo."

Armpit

Arachnosquire
While we are on the topic of T's putting their butt up in the air. If you ever have a Avicularia stick it's butt in the air, look out. It is about to shoot crap on you.
oh my god yes, this. without a doubt. i've been shot at by both of mine.