G. Pulchra spiderling with identity problem

cold blood

Staff member
I'm probably too dry. Between running this heater and the natural humidity here, even I can tell it's dry. They don't seem to mind the dryness very much, but they clearly prefer humidity. It's not a matter of me seeing them, they're pretty much always out. I just keep misting so that they have something to drink at least. I have witnessed both of them drinking, so there's at least that.

They're in the small Amac boxes. I can get a picture if need be, but it's a pretty standard setup. The larger one has webbed extensively, the other not so much.
Yeah, no need for pics. IME if theyre out, they're hunting. I just dropped in a cricket for a freshly molted one that was admittedly too big for the sling, yet that cricket was dispatched very quickly. Have you tried slightly larger or even smaller crickets? I'm guessing you did....I'd just leave a cricket in with them till they eat it as you know they molted recently.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, no need for pics. IME if theyre out, they're hunting. I just dropped in a cricket for a freshly molted one that was admittedly too big for the sling, yet that cricket was dispatched very quickly. Have you tried slightly larger or even smaller crickets? I'm guessing you did....I'd just leave a cricket in with them till they eat it as you know they molted recently.
Yeah, tried various sized meals as well. Quite frustrating, and also worrying. Never thought I'd have to worry about a starving spider. Something I haven't tried is the leg of a large cricket - I'll be doing that tomorrow and hope for the best.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, tried various sized meals as well. Quite frustrating, and also worrying. Never thought I'd have to worry about a starving spider. Something I haven't tried is the leg of a large cricket - I'll be doing that tomorrow and hope for the best.
wax worms are worth a try.

Out of that whole sac I have yet to even offer anything pre-killed.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
wax worms are worth a try.

Out of that whole sac I have yet to even offer anything pre-killed.
Couldn't hurt, I'll pick up a cup while I'm at Petsmart tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Little hellions are going to eat something eventually, but you better believe that they'll live off of dubias when they're juvies. Slings just make me nervous, and they know that!

cold blood

Staff member
Couldn't hurt, I'll pick up a cup while I'm at Petsmart tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Little hellions are going to eat something eventually, but you better believe that they'll live off of dubias when they're juvies. Slings just make me nervous, and they know that!
Haha, they must....cause Psalms are about the easiest slings to raise....they're slings for like 4-5 months.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Haha, they must....cause Psalms are about the easiest slings to raise....they're slings for like 4-5 months.
A P. irminia was actually my first sling. Easy in the sense that I had a pet cork tube from 3" on. I'm hoping these aren't a repeat :rofl: What I really want is a tree-bound Chilobrachys or Pterinochilus. So far, H. mac has been the closest... still a bit of a scurrier, though.

cold blood

Staff member
A P. irminia was actually my first sling. Easy in the sense that I had a pet cork tube from 3" on. I'm hoping these aren't a repeat :rofl: What I really want is a tree-bound Chilobrachys or Pterinochilus. So far, H. mac has been the closest... still a bit of a scurrier, though.
Cams are Psalmopeous's counter point to irminia.

IME they are exactly the opposite. While irminia are pretty visible when small, as they grow they are out less and less, and as adults, rarely, if ever out in the open. And my AF irminia has NEVER acted remotely arboreal.....cams are out the least when small, a lot of times its just the feet unless they're really hungry...then its, blast the prey and drag it home as fast as possible....but as they grow, they are out more and more, and generally by the time they're showing their adult colors, they're out a lot. Adults rarely hide...I can say my AF (mom) literally never hides and only webs if she's about to molt of lay a sac.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Cams are Psalmopeous's counter point to irminia.

IME they are exactly the opposite. While irminia are pretty visible when small, as they grow they are out less and less, and as adults, rarely, if ever out in the open. And my AF irminia has NEVER acted remotely arboreal.....cams are out the least when small, a lot of times its just the feet unless they're really hungry...then its, blast the prey and drag it home as fast as possible....but as they grow, they are out more and more, and generally by the time they're showing their adult colors, they're out a lot. Adults rarely hide...I can say my AF (mom) literally never hides and only webs if she's about to molt of lay a sac.
And she is gorgeous. I'm praying to get at least one female out of this couple. I'd like to have a good display arboreal - my P. striata certainly doesn't fit that bill, at least she didn't before the pairing.

If either one takes the wax worm, you'll be the first to know. You've been preaching those to me for over a month now, and I'm finally desperate enough to try it.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have mostly (adult/sub-adult) slow, lumbering, lazy dinosaurs (as I call the Grammys and Brachys) so this little bulldozing, backflipping, garbage disposal of a pulchra is wonderful :D
I have an adult female G pulchra and she's a big bulky bulldozing 6"+ eating machine who last moulted in November 2015. They keep the great appetite but if you indulge them they will fast for a long period i found out the hard way when my little sweetheart decided not to eat for 10 months