Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my G pulchra a week ago.{D
What do you think, male or female?

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im thinking female(wishful thinking), but I'm not good at this.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
based on closeness of 2nd book lungs and the hairy spot in the furrow, i'd say male. although as with the others, i'm part guessing. lol

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very helpful. :)
That's true. As I mentioned in my apology-turned-mud-slinging-turned-friendly-banter thread, the vast majority of my posts are of no help at all to anyone. I really should be posting less, and it is rather ironic that I am typing this, but I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you. :)

To the OP: I stick by my initial assessment - female.

Ryan, instead of always questioning me, why don't you tell us what you think?

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
So, Gavin, what makes you say female after all? No offense, but if you can't back up your guess with anything, then why guess at all? Personally I wouldn't hazard to guess from this picture.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Personally I wouldn't hazard to guess from this picture.
Awww common man! That brilliantly bright flash glare covering most if the furrow area is not helpful?{D

Ryan, instead of always questioning me, why don't you tell us what you think?
I don't have an opinion. All I wanted to know was why you thought the way you did. Saying one sex one way or another with no real reason why you think that way seems silly to me. Lots of people do it so it's not just you. But as I said in the other thread, I just like to ask to see why people think what they think. It is nothing personal against you.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, Gavin, what makes you say female after all? No offense, but if you can't back up your guess with anything, then why guess at all? Personally I wouldn't hazard to guess from this picture.
You are right. I will add this to my signature:

"The owner of this account has a penchant for offering his very misinformed opinions without any scientific backing whatsoever, which are very likely to be grossly incorrect and potentially misleading to other members."

:) ;) :razz: :} :)

Edit: I tried, but it exceeded the 5-line limit. :(

I don't have an opinion. All I wanted to know was why you thought the way you did. Saying one sex one way or another with no real reason why you think that way seems silly to me. Lots of people do it so it's not just you. But as I said in the other thread, I just like to ask to see why people think what they think. It is nothing personal against you.
I find it hard not to take it personally, considering the fact you only seem to question me, amongst the "lots of other people" you speak of. :)

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find it hard not to take it personally, considering the fact you only seem to question me, amongst the "lots of other people" you speak of. :)
That is interesting considering I said this in the other thread.

My question applies to everyone that stated female, but I picked your post specifically because you said "Certainly female".
And one of the people that said female on that thread came back and gave a reason why they thought that way after I asked.

Once again, my point in asking is to find out why you think that way. Offering up info/opinion based on nothing seems like a waste of time to all parties. If we take the time to discuss way we think one way or another, people might learn something, myself included.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is interesting considering I said this in the other thread.

And one of the people that said female on that thread came back and gave a reason why they thought that way after I asked.
Oops, my bad then. :eek:

I do have my reasons when I offer my opinion on a sexing thread, but I don't type them out for fear of ridicule. No, don't ask why.

ArachnoBasement

Arachnopeon
Hmph. My guess would be a female, based on the picture. I have a pair and that male's epiandrous fusillae are pretty obvious, and I'm not seeing them in the photo. Again, that's my GUESS. Don't drag me into a debate over it. :}

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think my first question would be how big is this spider?
Second question would be, can you get a better picture?

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Gavin,
You are right. I will add this to my signature:

"The owner of this account has a penchant for offering his very misinformed opinions without any scientific backing whatsoever, which are very likely to be grossly incorrect and potentially misleading to other members."

:) ;) :razz: :} :)

Edit: I tried, but it exceeded the 5-line limit. :(
My intent was not to bash you. There is nothing scientific about ventrally sexing a tarantula. If you want I can rephrase my question: if you can't tell why is it a female, then why guess at all? The fact that you didn't answer the question the second time, could make someone think that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Awww common man! That brilliantly bright flash glare covering most if the furrow area is not helpful?{D
<...>
Once again, my point in asking is to find out why you think that way. Offering up info/opinion based on nothing seems like a waste of time to all parties. If we take the time to discuss way we think one way or another, people might learn something, myself included.
Thanks for the chuckle :D, and very well said!
I do have my reasons when I offer my opinion on a sexing thread, but I don't type them out for fear of ridicule. No, don't ask why.
Don't be afraid to type your opinion out, because in the worst case they are wrong, and one can but learn from their mistakes, ie. if you have the wrong approach on ventral sexing, at least you will know and can learn a better way. :) Have a great weekend.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gavin,

My intent was not to bash you. There is nothing scientific about ventrally sexing a tarantula. If you want I can rephrase my question: if you can't tell why is it a female, then why guess at all? The fact that you didn't answer the question the second time, could make someone think that you have no idea what you're talking about.id!

Don't be afraid to type your opinion out, because in the worst case they are wrong, and one can but learn from their mistakes, ie. if you have the wrong approach on ventral sexing, at least you will know and can learn a better way. :) Have a great weekend.
Why is everyone emulating Satellite Rob? {D

I know you were not bashing me, hence the number of smileys (sorry Joe). ;)

I believe I am decent (note: "decent"; not "good") at sexing Old World spiders ventrally. New World species aren't my thing, but I decided to have a go anyway. :)