G Pulchra not eaten for 8 months!!

Staceyyy

Arachnopeon
Hey!

I bought Rio my G Pulchra in December just gone. She last ate in February, no sign of moult no sign of pre-moult and won’t burrow. She has fresh water constantly available in a dish and I spray her tub once a week. I’ve attempted to feed on several occasions tried different food but nothing she just runs away from it. She’s only I’d say about 2cm and hasn’t moulted since I have had her. She burrowed months ago made a little tunnel for herself but with the soil being dry under the layers she didn’t web it strong enough. She hasn’t done anything since. She hasn’t webbed any of her tub either. I’m just worried somethings not right or if I’m doing something wrong. She has a piece of cork bark in her tub which allows her to hide but she doesn’t she just sits above ground.

Any ideas?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Pictures would help tremendously in this situation, in order to determine if your spider is healthy and simply on a fast, and that the enclosure has nothing to do with why its rejecting food.

My guess is Grammostola being Grammostola with very slow growth, and your spider is perfectly fine just anticipating a molt.

Staceyyy

Arachnopeon
A750FF59-9B7D-4677-8538-3F242ECAFAFF.jpeg
Pictures would help tremendously in this situation, in order to determine if your spider is healthy and simply on a fast, and that the enclosure has nothing to do with why its rejecting food.

My guess is Grammostola being Grammostola with very slow growth, and your spider is perfectly fine just anticipating a molt.
I’ll post a photo now! :)

1E379A0A-F2D1-4949-BA96-99441808AADF.jpeg
A750FF59-9B7D-4677-8538-3F242ECAFAFF.jpeg

Zoomed in abit so you can see her better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
View attachment 320185

Looks perfectly healthy to me! Its not necessarily about to molt, but I don't see anything abnormal, and the abdomen seems a healthy size. I would perhaps try offering some prekilled prey every so often to ensure she's not interested in food, and keep making sure she has access to water. Eventually she'll either go back on food or molt!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Looking like this and not eating are the perfect signs for premoult. Even as slings they can take forever to moult. ;) Nothing to worry about, your T looks plump and healthy, just wait for it and keep the water dish full. :)

Staceyyy

Arachnopeon
Aw thank you! Wish she (I say she I have no idea) would hurry up and moult I’ve been waiting for ages! I’ll be so happy when she does! :) Thank you for your reply!

Staceyyy

Arachnopeon
No problem! And if you have any other questions or concerns past this you know just the place to ask :)
I do!! Can’t believe how quick yous we’re on it! I was expecting a reply tomorrow but thanks again!! ☺

cold blood

Staff member
They aren't huge burrowers, even when small IME...and they are not much of webbers, I doubt you will ever notice much web aside from molt mats and boli.

Even slings of this species can be pre molt for an eternity....its plump, its just a waiting game...no need to keep offering food....seems like a long time between meals for us, but its normal life for slow grower like pulchra.

FWIW, your sling shows ALL the signs of late pre-molt....that shiny stretched out look the abdomen has just screams pre molt.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I also have a pulchra, it’s about 1.5 cm right now and it hasn’t moulted since December. She still eats though which amazes me. But once they hit a certain weight, they can live off their stored energy reserves for many many months. I believe I’ve seen reports on some tarantulas not eating for over 2 years, although those were adults. If it’s not eating and has a skinny abdomen that is a bad sign. However, yours is nicely plump and should be quite happy sitting pretty until it decides to moult, which still could be a couple months away. It’s kind of hard to tell how far into a Premoult a G. pulchra is since they are already black in colour, but I reckon the exoskeleton will get even more shiny like a grape before the moult happens. Just make sure it has plenty of fresh clean water.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Looks pretty chunky, it's probably doing fine. From what I've read this species often goes on fasts if they're well-fed already, and it can be this long or longer (though for a sling that size I'd think not more than a year and it should molt then eat again).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Looks pretty chunky, it's probably doing fine. From what I've read this species often goes on fasts if they're well-fed already, and it can be this long or longer (though for a sling that size I'd think not more than a year and it should molt then eat again).

Mine decided to take 2 whole years to molt at roughly the same size as OPs, perhaps even smaller. Ate on and off up until it finally molted earlier this year.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon

Mine decided to take 2 whole years to molt at roughly the same size as OPs, perhaps even smaller. Ate on and off up until it finally molted earlier this year.
Have a Male (called him Scout) who has been buried for three months in pre-molt, hearing this does not reassure me he might be out of it soon lol.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Seriously? 2 years? My god I am in for a treat with my sling.
2 years isn't normal for these guys at all at this size - my other two are on a yearly schedule for their molts, and from what I've seen that's even on the slow side. :rofl: But my trio are all eating readily and seem healthy, so I guess they're just taking their time. Probably doesn't help that they were kept in lower temps at my previous house.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
G. Pulchra is a really slow growing specie. Probably the main reason why I got her. Next to her being such a neat spooder