G. Pulchra Breeding question

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
Hi guys

i’m new to the hobby so i’m not looking for breeding a g. pulchra, or anything, but since i read a lot of ppl talking about how much difficult it is to breed this species, i was wondering why is that?

what makes so hard to breed them? do they have a special requirement?

i’m sorry if that was answered in another thread but i just couldn’t find it

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
lots of factors go into breeding and some species are more sensitive to it all than others. LPs can easily drop 1000 eggs in a sac without much care to temp, humidity, light, noise, season etc. Other species however won’t successfully breed without everything being just perfect and even then they may have a small sac.

There is lots of more in-depth reading here on breeding if you’re interested.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I have not successfully bred G. pulchra, but PAIRING them is easy. Unfortunately, it seems that it is normal for them to molt out of those pairings without ever making an eggsac. It seems there is some ‘trick’ to it, that is not well known yet. I have my girl re-paired and am going aboutnit a little different this time. Hoping for better results. Gotta crack this code. ;)

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Hi guys

i’m new to the hobby so i’m not looking for breeding a g. pulchra, or anything, but since i read a lot of ppl talking about how much difficult it is to breed this species, i was wondering why is that?

Is this the reason the price of them is as high as it is ?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Is this the reason the price of them is as high as it is ?
Thats a part of it. they are hard to breed and being brazil endemic means they cannot legally be imported. “ i don’t think anybody in the Us is having any luck with breeding them. It seems that some **Cought**fearnot**Cough** have decided to just mislabel/assume a more convenient (importable???) name for them. But that just allows an ‘exclusive’ so that a premium price can still be charged.

Another major factor is the glacial growth rate makes it a painfully slow process to raise up females and males to maturity.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Thats a part of it. they are hard to breed and being brazil endemic means they cannot legally be imported. “ i don’t think anybody in the Us is having any luck with breeding them. It seems that some **Cought**fearnot**Cough** have decided to just mislabel/assume a more convenient (importable???) name for them. But that just allows an ‘exclusive’ so that a premium price can still be charged
Funny you quoted them as that is where I got my G. Pulchra from. Albeit I got it for free as an add-on but still got one from them. But on their website they have it listed as G. Pulchra so I don't know what you mean "mislabel" them ?

Funny you quoted them as that is where I got my G. Pulchra from. Albeit I got it for free as an add-on but still got one from them. But on their website they have it listed as G. Pulchra so I don't know what you mean "mislabel" them ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Are they not
labeling them as “G. quirogi (color form pulchra)” or whatever anymore? I don’t frequent their sit often, but apparently they were selling them as quirogi for a while.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Are they not

labeling them as “G. quirogi (color form pulchra)” or whatever anymore? I don’t frequent their sit often, but apparently they were selling them as quirogi for a while.
Gotcha. I checked my receipt and it is labeled as a G. Pulchra/Quirogi

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Then you need to be careful when you want to pair them and make sure your spider is what they say it is, and mate it with the same species. Don't breed quirogi and pulchra together. ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi guys

Some speicies are harder to breed than others. Some speicies requires flooding of the cage or a period of cooling, (keeping the female cooler than normal for a period)after breeding to easier produce an eggsack. I had a friend that often bred B smithi and he said it was important to give the female a period of cooling to get a sack. If this is extreamly important, i dont know?, but he claimed it was
Further, some females are more agressive towards the males, and more often kills the male than other speicies female does!

About G pulchra, i dont know how hard it is. I have not bred it. I have bred Grammostola porteri though, and did not do anything more than moisten the substrate before the female laid the sack

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Some have even speculated that part of the pulchra issue is that they are being interbred with quirogi and its creating issues. I hope that mess gets sorted out before its too late. We don’t need another “hobby form” hybrid.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Some have even speculated that part of the pulchra issue is that they are being interbred with quirogi and its creating issues. I hope that mess gets sorted out before its too late. We don’t need another “hobby form” hybrid.
If it has been happening, it is probably WAY too late already. Pulchra aren't exactly new to the hobby

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, those are two different species. A t cannot be both (unless its a hybrid I suppose, but one generally wouldn't want to advertise the hybridization). I am shocked they would be sold with that confusing and inaccurate label.

I speculate that breeding them is so hard simply because these two very similar looking species are often both sold as pulchra.....breeding two species together could make breeding and getting sacs significantly more difficult.

Because there is no distinction from the seller, the t will be a mystery and should never be bred.

Care is the same.

Its my understanding that the difference can only really be seen in pre molt...true pulchra remain black in pre molt, quirogi turn brown during the latter stages of pre molt.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Yeah, those are two different species. A t cannot be both (unless its a hybrid I suppose, but one generally wouldn't want to advertise the hybridization). I am shocked they would be sold with that confusing and inaccurate label.

I speculate that breeding them is so hard simply because these two very similar looking species are often both sold as pulchra.....breeding two species together could make breeding and getting sacs significantly more difficult.

Because there is no distinction from the seller, the t will be a mystery and should never be bred.

Care is the same.

Its my understanding that the difference can only really be seen in pre molt...true pulchra remain black in pre molt, quirogi turn brown during the latter stages of pre molt.

Here is a screenshot from my receipt. I have posted pics of my G. Pulchra in another thread. So there is no way I will be able to tell what exactly I have then ?

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince

Care is the same.

from the fearnot site

“It came to our attention that what we have been receiving in the United States for many years is very likely Grammostola quirogai which is very nearly identical to Grammostola pulchra. When we imported them, some came in as Grammostola pulchra and some came in as Grammostola quirogai but they all come from the same source and are the same species. We felt it necessary to begin calling them what they came in as on the import so we started selling them as Grammostola quirogai. Many retailers have purchased this species from our imports and continue to call them Grammostola pulchra. Calling them something other than pulchra has caused some confusion for our customers and we have to answer questions about it frequently. To avoid that we are advertising them as G. pulchra which is what other retailers have done for many years. For further information pleas see the link below.”

So (rather conveniently) after the whole selidonia/brazil/lacey act thing, they mysteriously started being imported as G. quirogi (strangely not endemic to brazil, weird...) even though it was the same source and same species as the pulchra they had been getting before. But then once they got here, they turn into pulchra again! How awesome is that?!?! :wideyed:

Here is a screenshot from my receipt. I have posted pics of my G. Pulchra in another thread. So there is no way I will be able to tell what exactly I have then ?
You have what has been pulchra in the hobby. They were listed as quirogi simply to get them imported.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
from the fearnot site

“It came to our attention that what we have been receiving in the United States for many years is very likely Grammostola quirogai which is very nearly identical to Grammostola pulchra. When we imported them, some came in as Grammostola pulchra and some came in as Grammostola quirogai but they all come from the same source and are the same species. We felt it necessary to begin calling them what they came in as on the import so we started selling them as Grammostola quirogai. Many retailers have purchased this species from our imports and continue to call them Grammostola pulchra. Calling them something other than pulchra has caused some confusion for our customers and we have to answer questions about it frequently. To avoid that we are advertising them as G. pulchra which is what other retailers have done for many years. For further information pleas see the link below.”

So (rather conveniently) after the whole selidonia/brazil/lacey act thing, they mysteriously started being imported as G. quirogi (strangely not endemic to brazil, weird...) even though it was the same source and same species as the pulchra they had been getting before. But then once they got here, they turn into pulchra again! How awesome is that?!?! :wideyed:
That's a pretty good clarification on their part....and probably pretty accurate.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Just quick look how they are offered here on classifieds :D :
example one: Grammostola quirogai "Uruguay Black" (ex. G. pulchra "Brazilian Black")
example two: Grammostola pulchra (quirogai)/ Brazil/Uraguay black

@Theneil Sorry to ruin Your conspiracy theories, but pulchra/quirogai mess has nothing to do with legalizing imports, it is just classic case of "we have no idea what hobby spiders actually are".

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Just quick look how they are offered here on classifieds :D :
example one: Grammostola quirogai "Uruguay Black" (ex. G. pulchra "Brazilian Black")
example two: Grammostola pulchra (quirogai)/ Brazil/Uraguay black

@Theneil Sorry to ruin Your conspiracy theories, but pulchra/quirogai mess has nothing to do with legalizing imports, it is just classic case of "we have no idea what hobby spiders actually are".
I understand that, i just think it is too coincidental that FWS starts stopping Brazil endemic imports and then the pulchra/quirogi unknown gets dragged up. the thread on here that goes into more detail is notably older than the importation issues, but the relabeling dates only correspond with the importation issue, not the date of the information which speculates as to the true identity of “G. pulchra” Additionally, as far as i can find, nobody has actually tried to positively ID “all the hobby pulchra” to confirm that they are indeed actually quirogi. That PLUS their own website stating that they are actually hobby pulchra but imported as quirogi, only to be sold again as pulchra.

I might be wrong. I very well could be a loony toon, but that is all just too much for me to take as an accident or coincidence. LOL

ItsFebreze

Arachnopeon
I understand that, i just think it is too coincidental that FWS starts stopping Brazil endemic imports and then the pulchra/quirogi unknown gets dragged up. the thread on here that goes into more detail is notably older than the importation issues, but the relabeling dates only correspond with the importation issue, not the date of the information which speculates as to the true identity of “G. pulchra” Additionally, as far as i can find, nobody has actually tried to positively ID “all the hobby pulchra” to confirm that they are indeed actually quirogi. That PLUS their own website stating that they are actually hobby pulchra but imported as quirogi, only to be sold again as pulchra.

I might be wrong. I very well could be a loony toon, but that is all just too much for me to take as an accident or coincidence. LOL
I think it's important to note that the Lacey Act and USFW cracking down on Brazillian imports WAAAAY pre-dates the T. Seladonia fiasco.

IMO, this is more of a problem similar to C. "minax" which isn't really C. minax at all in the hobby, but some form of C. albostriatium or another Cyriopagopus sp. But, they've been imported so much under the name "C. minax" they've just been labeled as so in the hobby. From my reading, it's hard to track down a genuine G. pulchra, and most are quirogi.

Somewhat similar to T. albopilosum hobby form and Nicaraguan/Honduran. Though there are proven pure bloodlines of each of those.