G. Pulchra at pet store...maybe - maybe not??

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all this another pet store species mix up kinda question. Went down to the Exotic pet store by my house to get some crix and while I was there I took a look at his T's. There were 2 marked Brazilian Blacks(G. Pulchra). The first looked pretty much like all the pix I have seen. The other had very long legs compared to the other and a smaller abdomen. Is this normal? Or more likely a different species? Honestly, other than them both being black they did not look like the same T. The other thing was that he is selling them for $250 a pop. Seems a bit much, huh?

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the one that looks different sounds like a mature male, the smaller abdomen and longer legs are quite characteristic of male tarantulas of most species. Also look out for little boxing gloves at the end of the palps and sprurs on the underside of the first pair of legs.

$250 is quite steep for most species, especially an adult male. God knows how he'd have left :(

Last edited:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could be male and female - did the one with long slender legs have "spurs" on the front legs and "boxing glve" palps?

Søren

ScorpionBob said:
Hi all this another pet store species mix up kinda question. Went down to the Exotic pet store by my house to get some crix and while I was there I took a look at his T's. There were 2 marked Brazilian Blacks(G. Pulchra). The first looked pretty much like all the pix I have seen. The other had very long legs compared to the other and a smaller abdomen. Is this normal? Or more likely a different species? Honestly, other than them both being black they did not look like the same T. The other thing was that he is selling them for $250 a pop. Seems a bit much, huh?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds quite expensive to me, even for adults. You can get a 3/4" sling for under $30.

As others have suggested, take a look at the front legs and the ends of the palps to see if it is a mature male.

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't know actually. Didn't really know what to look for as far as mature features. If it was a male he sure didn't look real healthy. Not sure why I say this; maybe it was just an overall appearance of the creature. Could you imagine buying him for $250, only to find out it was a mature male? I guess with more experience you learn what to look for though. That's why I intend to purchase my next T online, thru Botar or Swifty...they seem trustworthy, from what I have read so far on these boards...

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, just keep reading and you will learn what to look for. As far as your next purchase, it sounds like you have the right idea. Both Botar and Swifty are excellent dealers.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
g. pulchra is one of the easiest Ts to sex by just looking a the furrow because of thier color. I have noticed that my juvie girls (4-5") can tend to be long-legged, and post-molt, will have a small abdomen for quite awhile...looking somewhat 'boyish'. But one glance underneath will tell it all :D