G. pulchra acting weird (problem eating)

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Grammostola pulchra sling has been acting a little weird. The past 2-3 times I've fed it (juvie lats), it will quickly grab and subdue the roach. I usually leave it alone after that, but each time I've come back and check for left overs, half a masticated roach or the whole dead roach is on the substrate. The sling is getting quite thin, abdomen is 2/3 the size of the carapace. I know it's probably not starving yet, but I don't want to wait up to that point.

Some background information:
It's around 1.5" in length. Recently molted on 20/08/11, so I know it's not in premolt. I didn't start feeding until 4-5 days after it molted. Feeding schedule is 2x a week. I keep it in a delicup, diameter around twice the slings size. I use coco fiber as substrate. I don't mist because the substrate is still quite moist from when I rehoused it.

Only thing I can think of is that it's just 'fasting' or it's fangs are messed up from the last molt. One thing I did, that might have affected it as well is that I changed it's substrate the day after it molted. I was quite gentle with it, and only nudged it into a temporary delicup and back into it's enclosure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bump

Suggestions, please, anyone?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
try prekill,worked for my A.leata sling also make sure ur useing right sized food

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
try prekill,worked for my A.leata sling also make sure ur useing right sized food
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try giving him pre-killed roach later. I've given it a pre-killed mealworm once, but it was ignored. I don't think the sling has a problem with killing the food, it just doesn't eat it.. :(

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
If it molted 10 days ago it may just not be ready to eat yet. Most slings that size will eat in a week or less but each one is different. Can you post a picture?

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it molted 10 days ago it may just not be ready to eat yet. Most slings that size will eat in a week or less but each one is different. Can you post a picture?
Yea, I hope he's just not ready, and not sick or anything..

Here's are pictures of the sling. Substrate was still quite moist at that time, as I just rehoused it.

pulchra.jpg

pulchra2.jpg

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Does look a little thin, but they will sometimes after a molt. I guess just keep offering food every few days and take it out after a bit if he doesn't seem interested. I would try live and prekilled.

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright, thanks.

I'll try feeding him live and pre-killed tomorrow. Haven't tried yet since I posted here, because I decided to wait until 'feeding day' to feed again. :)

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how big are the roaches?
For my slings that have just molted, I always offer them roaches that are smaller than I would usually offer them. Probably a little over half the length of the sling's carapace. Once they've eaten once or twice, I up the size of the roach to around 1.5 times the length of their carapace. Does that sound right?

For this particular sling, I've been offering him lateralis nymphs that are around half his carapace length.

ACC

Arachnopeon
hi i also have the same problem as you. exactly the same i wonder what seems to be the problem?
lets just wit for others to respond. i hope someone could help us

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I fed the sling again tonight. I gave him one live roach and one that was dying ('accidentally' crushed it in half).

The sling pounced on the live one and killed it. I watched him for a good 20 min, not sure if he actually IS eating it. He is just holding the roach between his fangs. I can see the roach is almost cut in half, but not 'getting smaller'. He has ignored the dying one for now.

Anyway, I will check again tomorrow morning and update. Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I checked on the sling this morning. :( He just dropped the roach that he was holding in his fangs. I looked at the roach, and it didn't look digested, everything was quite intact except it was almost cut in half.

I checked for white stuff around the mouth like in the other threads, but don't see any. The sling itself is still quite active, for a G. pulchra. It is quite responsive to nudges, even hunting, he attacks the roach as soon as it hits the substrate.

Do you guys think the sling has problems with its digestive tract from the last molt? I don't know what else it could be. If so, do you think he'll last until the next molt? He's still pretty skinny..

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I was talking to the guy I bought the sling from, and he offered to replace the sling. He said the sling might have problems with it's fangs or whatever.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my new sling, he is munching on a roach right now. I'm glad I get my slings from such a nice guy. :D

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Glad you got a replacement. Did you give him the other one back, or do you have that one too? Does sound like it may have had a problem with the fangs.

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Glad you got a replacement. Did you give him the other one back, or do you have that one too? Does sound like it may have had a problem with the fangs.
I gave him back the other one. I think he is going to try to save it. He has much more experience and patience than me so.. Too bad, it 'looked' like a female too. Though the one I got 'looks' like a female as well. :D