Funny...my mother caught me a mantis last night!

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So last night I'm on the phone with my mother as she was getting home. She lives in a condo development and her neighbor's door is literally feet from her own. Anyway, she sees a big brown and green mantis on the door while we're talking and I immediately say "go get something" to which she replies that she has no tupperwear...she gave it all away full of food. Arrrgh! I had her look around and she ended up using a straw to get it into a tall vase, and then she put some foil with holes on the top. Go mom!

I picked it up today and boy is it frisky. Might have saved it as it got down to about 38 F last night. Have it set up in an enclosure...it is active and ravenous! Not sure of sex as I'm new to mantids, but I'll do some research and check. Pictures forthcoming!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome. They are inteesting pets.

I had one for a couple weeks and let it go but I got to see it drink water, hunt and clean it's front legs.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Used to see them and their ootheca all time as a kid not so much anymore (then again I live in the city)

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have had a big female for the past 2 weeks, they are amazing little things, she has been eating a adult male Dubia every 3 days or so and a vicious eater. she made an egg sac too but i put in a safe spot out side, it gets in the 30 at night so she wouldn't have lasted too long out there so i just keep her nice and warm and well feed until she moves on.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool! We have a lot of them around here, maybe I'll catch some next summer and observe them for a bit