Funnel web spiders

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, adding to my legacy of silly questions

I am going to be on an extended vacation in Australia in Sept/Oct. I have become somewhat fascinated with the idea of seeing a funnel web in its natural environment - to the point of finding info on how their distribution and population density vary around the Sydney area and inquiring as to whether any tour operators would be of help with this sort of thing

I'm sure any Australians reading this are thinking "Great. this crazy Yankee wants to come over here and go around poking sticks down funnel web holes"

Well, not exactly, but - yeah? How do I do this without placing myself and my travel companion at undue risk?

I'm thinking "the straw trick" I have seen in another thread wouldnt be a good idea. ;P

But seriously, an area with good visibility, no kids around, long pants, sturdy shoes, people well away from the hole and off the ground if possible, - like maybe on a park bench - a long stick , like 4 or 5 FEET long (longer?)

Tell me - if y'all think I'm just insane, lemme know. But I'm figuring this will be my only trip Down Under and I'd like to do more than see one at a zoo

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i saw on TV that they can be commonly seen near (or in) pools because of the humidity and temperature. i doubt patroling some guy's backyard in a subburb is everyone's idea of an invert safari in an exotic land, but still. if i am of no help, i hope one of our australian co-members decides to speak.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ugh, first off, try and stay away from tours, and their operators.

Some sort of guide is cool, but he kinda needs to be all yours so that he can take the time to cater to what you want to see.

The first one you find, you'll porbably be allfreaked and nervous. But as you observe them and learn how they behave, your hesitation will evaporate and your confidence grows.

The tickle method worked awesome for the tarantulas - (less so when it was actually me doing it, but I got better at it) - and I don't think it needs to be 4 or 5 feet long! At that length, by the time you got it out, and creeped closer to see it, you'll have missed it since your movement would likely send it scurrying for cover again.

Keep in mind that NO spider sees something hundreds of tiems larger than itself and decides it should bite, especially when just outside it's safe, cozy burrow.

You should spend some time lookng for all those awesome snakes they have there too!

Damn, I envy you. Enjoy the trip and take lots of pics!

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
And why wouldnt straw trick be a good idea? They are not very fast moving spiders and sure as hell they wont fly...

Take a look here about Atrax in Sydney area:
http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/funnelweb/live.htm

/Lelle
That's a good site - it's where I found the distribution map I referred to earlier

As for the straw trick - would involve kneeling close to the hole - I'd wanna have more distance - the straw trick in principle, only with a (much) longer straw

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only guided tour we're doing that has anything to with wildlife

is gonna be with this outfit

http://www.nqhit.com.au/

where in fact he will be ours alone (sadly only for a day) -

I wrote him about this - he said we could try - there's mouse spiders up that far north and apparently one Hadronyche species H anzae (?) in the nearby rain forests

the spider trick I'm just nutty enough that I'd try on my own

a snake? bigger, faster, and I dont know their fauna well enough to necessarily tell right away if it's venomous so just assume it is I guess - that I wouldnt have the nerve to do at this point on my own

I'm curious and into the thrill of experience, but not into high risk. It's like storm chasing. I'm all about bird-dogging a storm on the Plains where you can see where you are, where it is, and where it's going. I'm not about driving thru the hail core where there's wet road and perhaps a rain wrapped tornado I cant see until it's on top of me

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
australia is my one place ive always wanted to go.. even before i got into snakes and bugs.. i was smart and didnt even know it.. now that im into all the spiders and ugs and snakes.. im even more into wanting to go to australia.. youre so lucky.. bring back lots of pics.. and we wanna see em all.. i know when i do finally go.. im taking a full suitcase full of film.. and plenty of memory cards for the digital.. i guess for now ill set my sights on arizona next spring (hopefully)

im very fascinated with funnel web spiders too.. i have a small one thats native to my area, i think maybe a funnel web weaving wolf spider.. looks almost identical to a wolf spider.. its cool either way though

Himself

Arachnopeon
In Australia one assumes that every snake is venomous. You will be right often enough.