Frustrated newbie, any insight is very appreciated

Emily76

Arachnopeon
Cant go wrong with albo.

But this would have been an excellent avic to acquire....great eaters, faster growers and theyre one of the larger avics.

I think I have realized that I'm a bit too nervous for the arboreal species. I feel like the terrestrial ones are bit more my speed. At least I feel like for the most part they are going to stay on the substrate haha

I'm not sure what the protocol is for this so if I am posting in the wrong place please let me know.

I have been searching the forum a little on how to feed my tiny albo sling. It came in this little vial, and I'm always concerned that he will rush out the top when I open it. Plus, I feel like it could use more ventilation. I was wondering if I could put him in something less vertical such as this 4oz Rubbermaid container I have that I could put ventilation on the top and around the sides. Or is it too big? If it is too big, I think a little 1oz deli cup or something may be easier to access? I'm also wondering if the moss only in the vial is appropriate? It is what the spider came in but should I be using something else?

Attachments

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Either one of those is probably fine.
A bunch of moss is not ideal. Just fill it half way up with moist, packed substrate. Moss will just make things difficult.
Make sure the ventilation holes are significantly smaller than the sling’s carapace.

Emily76

Arachnopeon
Either one of those is probably fine.
A bunch of moss is not ideal. Just fill it half way up with moist, packed substrate. Moss will just make things difficult.
Make sure the ventilation holes are significantly smaller than the sling’s carapace.
I think I might go to the Dollar Tree or something and see if I can find something maybe in between these two sizes. Coco fiber okay then? Also, do you find it is best to feed the slings live or freshly killed? Thank you so much for your help!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do coco fiber. Works great. Prekilled food is ideal until they can take down a small-ish cricket (at around 0.75 inch leg span)

Emily76

Arachnopeon
I do coco fiber. Works great. Prekilled food is ideal until they can take down a small-ish cricket (at around 0.75 inch leg span)
Okay, I just offered a tiny mealworm, but I did not kill it. It is sort of laying motionless at the bottom of the vial. I guess I will just leave it for 24 hours and then remove if it is not gone? Hopefully the mealworm does not pose a threat. If it does, I will remove it immediately.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it’s eating it the mealworm will die by the law of the jungle. Just prekill next time

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Crap. Okay I'm taking it out now. Thank you so much!

New development! I went to remove the mealworm and he's got it! How to proceed???
Let it eat! While it's finishing it's meal you can get another container set up with ventilation and substrate.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I'm working on that as we speak! You guys are awesome. THANK YOU!!!
You shouldn't blame Yourself for these casuaties IMO... You just had a bit of bad luck.
I say go for whatever Spider You Desire, just make sure and research first.
Best Wishes to You and Your Eight Legged Friends, and Good Luck.
We're Crossing are Legs 4 U.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I think I have realized that I'm a bit too nervous for the arboreal species. I feel like the terrestrial ones are bit more my speed. At least I feel like for the most part they are going to stay on the substrate
Careful not to become too complacent. Even terrestrials can bolt up the sides much faster than you can expect.

Emily76

Arachnopeon
You shouldn't blame Yourself for these casuaties IMO... You just had a bit of bad luck.
I say go for whatever Spider You Desire, just make sure and research first.
Best Wishes to You and Your Eight Legged Friends, and Good Luck.
We're Crossing are Legs 4 U.
Thank you so much. I was feeling very discouraged but this forum as helped me a lot. I appreciate it!

Careful not to become too complacent. Even terrestrials can bolt up the sides much faster than you can expect.
Oh, I'm an anxious, paranoid person by nature, so I am always exceptionally careful. Thanks for reminding me that you can't be too cautious!

Can I get your opinion on this 4 oz Rubbermaid container? I just poked some small holes in it. I feel like it might be easier to deal with than the vial, but I really don't know. Like the other contributor said, if I used this 4oz container, I would fill it halfway with coco coir.

Any advice is appreciated!

Also, if the consensus is that it is safe to rehouse him into the 4oz container, how long should I wait after he has eaten this mealworm to bother moving him? I'm used to snakes where you really need to wait 48 hours before disturbing them.

Attachments

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Can I get your opinion on this 4 oz Rubbermaid container? I just poked some small holes in it. I feel like it might be easier to deal with than the vial, but I really don't know. Like the other contributor said, if I used this 4oz container, I would fill it halfway with coco coir.

Any advice is appreciated!

Also, if the consensus is that it is safe to rehouse him into the 4oz container, how long should I wait after he has eaten this mealworm to bother moving him? I'm used to snakes where you really need to wait 48 hours before disturbing them.
The deli cups are easier to flip up part of the lid to feed and clean and reduce escape attempts

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You can move the sling into the new container whenever you're ready - even when they're still eating they are reluctant to drop the meal they're working on.