Votes: 5 41.7%
  • half of my cages are infested

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • most are infested

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Amurtigermaster

Arachnopeon
My Millies cage has been over run with Fruit Flies! Anyone know how to destroy them and what substrate I should use to keep them out. Any and All Ideas welcome and please any Ideas. Also is there any way to save the substrate so if there are babies they can be saved? :confused:

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recently had an outbreak, but I changed all the substrate and it seemed to go away. I noticed a few around my bedroom light yesterday though.......NOOOOOOOO;)

seriously, what dangers do these pose to centipedes and Ts?

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A very good way is to grab a spray bottle and fill it with water you just boiled. Then take the animal out, of course, and begin the fruit fly holocaust! Spray everywhere directly at the flies and they die immediately upon conatct with the boiling water, also spray as much of the top layer of the substrate as possible just to be on the safe side.

I've never had any major invasions, just an occasional fruit fly here or there in my tarantula cages.

I don't have any pedes, but posted here because the above mentioned technique will work with most animals.

Jake

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fruit flies

i have some in my roach tank,but why would you get them in a pede or t cage?do you feed them fruit?:8o i never heard of them doing any harm,i actually used to feed them to newly hatched L.PARAHYBANA,they never hurt them.im no expert though

Amurtigermaster

Arachnopeon
To give you all an idea of what I mean invasion here is what I mean I have a cloud the size of a basketball form when I disturb them the reason this got this far is I went on vacation for a week and left fruit and veggies for the critters that had been ground up.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, my kitchen at the moment currently has a huge infestation. Im estimating 200-300 flies. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!!

Im gonna try the boling water trick. Thanks

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fruit flies are harmless so other than getting all the rotting fruit out of there and maybe doing something like only feeding cucumber or other no sugar food your millis like for a while, I don't see where the problem is. If you get the fruity mush out they're in, in 14 days any larvae big enough to pupate into flies will be mature and out of there looking for actual fruit.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You might also try drying the tank out a bit, as the fruitfly maggots need a bunch of moisture. Seems this is the time of year when they really start doing well being all the fruits are ripening. Hopefully you live in an area where nature will soon help you control their numbers with the cold weather

Oh here is another environmentally safe control spray you can use on them that may work. 8 oz. water, 8 oz. rubbing alcohol, and 4 drops dishwashing soap, though this would be better only used in the kitchen or other areas of the house and not around your any of your pet inverts. Soap and alcohol wouldn't be good for them either. I use this mixture outside on my roses bushes and it is very effective for controlling aphids and Jap. beetles