From one P. ultramarinus to TWO. Unrelated and "betrothed"

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I didn't think I was going to do the thing but I did the thing. I went from waiting to receive one female Pamphobeteus ultramarinus to waiting on an unrelated pair. I am very happy with my very expensive but totally worth-while decision. It's too bad my P. machala has no suitors but she's got a ton of growing to do before she's gotta worry about that anyhow. Quite frankly so do my P. ultra-s. But it's still exciting so ah well! Just wanted to be social (not my usual habit, lol) and share the news. :)

Hope all of you and all your T's are well!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Too bad your chances of getting a sac from an unrelated pair drop drastically, otherwise nice acquisitions. I'll be receiving 3 slings around summer :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't think I was going to do the thing but I did the thing. I went from waiting to receive one female Pamphobeteus ultramarinus to waiting on an unrelated pair. I am very happy with my very expensive but totally worth-while decision. It's too bad my P. machala has no suitors but she's got a ton of growing to do before she's gotta worry about that anyhow. Quite frankly so do my P. ultra-s. But it's still exciting so ah well! Just wanted to be social (not my usual habit, lol) and share the news. :)

Hope all of you and all your T's are well!
Love to see some pics of yours.

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
Too bad your chances of getting a sac from an unrelated pair drop drastically, otherwise nice acquisitions. I'll be receiving 3 slings around summer :)
That is unfortunate but as long as my chances aren't zero, I'll deal with it. Lol. Good to know though! I would have never guessed that. I wonder why that is. I'm just happy to have the species.

Last edited:

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I cannot find any information regarding the drop in chances of successful breeding for unrelated pairs of this species. @Angel Minkov could you provide some information regarding that?

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
{UPDATE}

So I emailed Anastasia from NETBUG about the whole unrelated breeding issue and she was very quick to discredit the idea, saying she has bred the species over the years with no problem. Perhaps she's just very good at what she does, but I thought the information was worth sharing with you guys. :)

cold blood

Staff member
{UPDATE}

So I emailed Anastasia from NETBUG about the whole unrelated breeding issue and she was very quick to discredit the idea, saying she has bred the species over the years with no problem. Perhaps she's just very good at what she does, but I thought the information was worth sharing with you guys. :)
I'd agree. What size is the pair, that's much more important, because the male will mature far before the female will.

cold blood

Staff member
That is a good point too. They are 2.5 to 3 inches, so they have lots of growing to do.
Considering his species is the smallest in the genus, not as much....being so close in size means you likely will not have a pair capable of breeding.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Why is that? Simply because the male will mature too soon? These are good lessons
That's exactly why, in theory you can keep the male cool and feed him sparingly while you keep the female warm and feed her very often. This would slow his rate down to possibly make it so they will be mature around the same time but usually the best practice is to get a female that is 1-2 years old and then buy young spiders in hopes you have a male by the time she matures.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
That's not how it works with Pamphobeteus, Dennis. Most people now buy sexed pairs the same size and just adjust the conditions. ;)

OP: Now now, let's not wave our sources' successes, because I don't think Anastasia is as good as the best European breeders of this genus here. What success rate is "without any issues" ;) ? It's not impossible to breed unrelated pairs for sure, but its kind of like the equivalent to hybridisation, even though they're the same species. The offspring may be infertile due to mixing up the localities. Its much better to breed related spiders in every way, or so I've been told by the leading Pamphobeteus breeders here.

I've heard Anastasia is a good breeder, but she definitely shouldn't be quick to discredit other people's observations just because they don't match hers. :)

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
That's not how it works with Pamphobeteus, Dennis. Most people now buy sexed pairs the same size and just adjust the conditions. ;)

OP: Now now, let's not wave our sources' successes, because I don't think Anastasia is as good as the best European breeders of this genus here. What success rate is "without any issues" ;) ? It's not impossible to breed unrelated pairs for sure, but its kind of like the equivalent to hybridisation, even though they're the same species. The offspring may be infertile due to mixing up the localities. Its much better to breed related spiders in every way, or so I've been told by the leading Pamphobeteus breeders here.

I've heard Anastasia is a good breeder, but she definitely shouldn't be quick to discredit other people's observations just because they don't match hers. :)
Thank you for the input! I did not mean to wave, I'm simply "comparing notes." I like to observe both sides of anything. I find discussion to be insightful! :)

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
Would you mind linking information from any of those sources on Pamphobeteus? I'd love to read through their knowledge

(Edit note: I'm also aware that I have a bad habit of making multiple posts instead of editing. For this I apologize and will work on it)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Let me rephrase - what got me was Anastasia's quick disregard for other breeders' observations. Has she observed the offspring to see if they're fertile? What was the death rate etc For everyone around here to be using this method and avoiding mixing up localities, there must be a reason for it. I have no experience with breeding them currently, but hopefully soon I will ;)

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
Very good questions that I can use in future conversation! Thanks for the thought-feed! All the best to you in any future breeding for this species, I'll be interested in keeping an eye on the project ;D

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Keep in mind that I have no experience with this and as such cannot completely stand behind it. I am merely sharing what I've been told by people with experience. I'm hoping to start testing fertility issues, mate-dependent success and all of the aforementioned remarks, but it will take a lot of time and effort :)