Frog Legged Beetles

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am acquiring some Asian Frog legged beetles (Sagra buqueti) for an exhibit at the Omaha Zoo. Does anyone have any information on these guys or point me in the direction of someone that does? I am familiar with breeding many species of beetles but can't find too much info on the Genus Sagra. Thank you very much for your time and help.
Trace Hardin
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
Butterfly and Insect Pavilion

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Trace,

I think Carol Meier at the Victoria Bug Zoo had them. You might contact her through the website.

lukatsi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here it's said that nobody has had any succes with them. The mentioned Kudzu vine lives in the US, so it shouldn't be a problem. I saw a video on Youtube where people are getting the beetles out of the roots of a plant. BTW, where are you buying them from?

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've found limited information about these guys, it looks like they might be gall formers and sweet potatoe might be used as a substitute host plant. Thanks for the info guys.

Peter, how have you been? I sent you an email did you ever recieve it? Are you still mad at me because I accidentally squished that solifugid?

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL...your methods did leave a little to be desired. I still favor my no-bite net 'em method even if it is a bit less adventurous. I did manage to capture three other solifugids (two of which were no better off in the end).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I am not sure who had them but I do recall seeing Sagra at a bugzoo or live display of some kind, once. Pretty sure it was up in Victoria too. I'd definitely attempt fruit and dogfood. These foods seem pretty standard as beetles go, even with some species that feed on foliage too. I personally like to gorge my beetles on slightly sugary water.

I am curious how you fare with those Sagra, so keep us posted!