Friendly Tokay Gecko?

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just adopted a tokay gecko. I know they are supposed to be ferocious, but I have been handling it.

I cover it with a flat hand, and then reach under and scoop it with my other hand. I remove my flat hand and it perches on my other hand. I do not put fingers in front of its face or grip it. If it starts to move I put a flat hand in front of its face as a wall, which stops it.

I'm not suggesting you handle a Tokay because I know they can bite hard. I'm curious if we have anyone out there that has kept Tokays and handled them.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I pet sat one for a couple of weeks (hopefully getting a couple this weekend) and ferocious is a bit of an overstatement. Having a well developed feeding response, defensive or nippy would be a little better. basically if its in front of its face it'll nip at it. It did not go out of its way to try to get me.

I only handled it to transfer it from one container to the next. I put my hand down flat in front of it and with the other hand tap it from behind to scoot up on to my hand and then just carefully moved it. It was a very short distance.

fluffy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got 5 of them and can only occassionally handle one of them :)

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I suppose it is possible to have a friendly one. I've seen the occasional friendly nile monitor, and even the occasional friendly adult male iguana... but in my experience thus far with tokays is that if one never tries to bite, its sick. :)

Rav

ReptileMan27

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its possible but not common,they say CB ones tame pretty easy but CB tokays are hard to find. I have a pair of tokays and they are really aggressive so I dont handle them unless I have to. Handeling also stresses them.

Kizzywhizzy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two Adult Tokay geckos and they are aggressive and probably WC(got them from petco). But they are breeding really well and I have had a total of 5 babies with more on the way. And the CB ones are easy to tame.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kizzywhizzy said:
I have two Adult Tokay geckos and they are aggressive and probably WC(got them from petco). But they are breeding really well and I have had a total of 5 babies with more on the way. And the CB ones are easy to tame.
My tokay is CB and I have been handling it daily.

Thanks to everyone for the information and taking the time to answer.