Friend sent me a E. murinus for Christmas, received a hooked out MM

auskie

Arachnosquire
Just a heads up for those that aren't aware, you probably shouldn't order anything from <edit>. I still love it, but they advertised it as female with the stipulation "no guarantees". They obviously didn't even look at it then lol. Here's a picture of the cutie

8678.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Just a heads up for those that aren't aware, you probably shouldn't order anything from <edit>. I still love it, but they advertised it as female with the stipulation "no guarantees". They obviously didn't even look at it then lol. Here's a picture of the cutie

View attachment 132812
probably should put this in the their review section, some people have had good reviews but there is a size-able number of bad reviews. They are a drop shipper so the company doesn't actually see the animals they sell you, they have sellers that send you the animal which may or may not be kept questionably. Though I would suggest sending him off to meet some ladies, at least that way you have a chance to get some baby E.murinus.

Last edited by a moderator:

auskie

Arachnosquire
You know what, I was skeptical too. It was climbing around on the top of the enclosure and has foot pads like an aborial..

What the hell is it then

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Well e murinus have arboreal looking legs in the front but the abdomen looks like it has chevrons and a grey carapace and e murinus don't have chevrons and have a cream colored carapace. It looks almost like a h albostriatum

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
You can't always judge by that, though. E. murinus is built much like an arboreal as well.

Yes.
+1 behavior isnt always a way to tell arboreal from terestrial. Many arboreals will actually burrow in captivity. Avics usually are an exception.

If it is albostriatum, watch your fingers. You'll end up with a nasty OW bite you weren't expecting.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Its terribly irresponsible as it is for someone to sell/ship the wrong species....but even worse, an OW species under the false impression that its a less potent NW. Especially if the recipient doesn't recognize what they have.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I agree. And I'm pretty sure albostriatum are quite defensive. Luckily e murinus is a highly defensive NW so watching your fingers should already be a given but still. That's horrible mixing up NW and OW.

awiec

Arachnoprince
That isn't even an E. murinus...
Ha I didn't even look at the picture, that looks like a haplo to me. Which along with not being a female, the wrong species was sent and is now possibly a useless male who if an Id cannot be 100%

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well e murinus have arboreal looking legs in the front but the abdomen looks like it has chevrons and a grey carapace and e murinus don't have chevrons and have a cream colored carapace. It looks almost like a h albostriatum
+1, I also wanted to say that looks like an H. Albostriatum. That's defenitely not P. Murinus..

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 12:40 AM ----------

I agree. And I'm pretty sure albostriatum are quite defensive. Luckily e murinus is a highly defensive NW so watching your fingers should already be a given but still. That's horrible mixing up NW and OW.
isn't P. Murinus an OW semi-aboreal african specie? OBT right? Or am I missing something?

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 12:44 AM ----------

And for H. Albostriatum, isn't it worth more than P. Murinus? If you could get a definite ID on this one you can send him of to some females.

Edit: sorry, I read P. Murinus and not E. Murinus, sorry!!! My bad lol.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
+1, I also wanted to say that looks like an H. Albostriatum. That's defenitely not P. Murinus..

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 12:40 AM ----------

isn't P. Murinus an OW semi-aboreal african specie? OBT right? Or am I missing something?

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 12:44 AM ----------

And for H. Albostriatum, isn't it worth more than P. Murinus? If you could get a definite ID on this one you can send him of to some females.

Edit: sorry, I read P. Murinus and not E. Murinus, sorry!!! My bad lol.
Albostriatum was just a guess. It could be a couple different halpos.

To the OP, I believe care for both is similar but I don't keep any halpos right now, just e murinus, so I'd start doing some research on halps if you don't have them.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Albostriatum was just a guess. It could be a couple different halpos.

To the OP, I believe care for both is similar but I don't keep any halpos right now, just e murinus, so I'd start doing some research on halps if you don't have them.
+ 1 I agree..

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
...i don't see anything in that pic that makes me think it is anything but a MM E murinus. Mature males are quite a bit different looking than females.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...i don't see anything in that pic that makes me think it is anything but a MM E murinus. Mature males are quite a bit different looking than females.
The Ephebopus murinus doesn't look like that. The carapace and trademark chevron on the abdomen give it away. E murinus has a mostly all black abdomen regardless of gender.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
No. I've had a few MM E murinus that *did* look like that. A quick search of breeding pics and videos also back that up.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. I've had a few MM E murinus that *did* look like that. A quick search of breeding pics and videos also back that up.
I guess I'll have to agree with you by default since I have never owned a MM E murinus. But I have never seen a picture of one that did look like that.

Still, pretty shady business practice.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That is certainly a Haplopelma male. E. murinus legs are a bit fluffier, and they don't have the tiger stripe chevron marking on the abdomen that spiders has.

Later, Tom

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well my guess is that its e.murinus..If we want to find out for sure the op has to describe to us or get a pic of the tibial spurs..h.albostriatum doesn't have them..when the male matures the area where the "hook" would be becomes longer and looks square,there is nothing hookish about it..e.murinus has a more spur like hook.. To a beginner it can be hard to tell the difference but if it has your more typical looking hook its murinus..take pics or let us know.