Freshly hatched cricket infestation.

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
Hello all. It’s been a while since I have posted here. So for starters I hope everyone is doing great and loving their T’s! Ok so I woke this morning to find freshly hatched baby crickets in my P. Cambridgei enclosures, and my A. Seemanni enclosure. I also noticed there are what looks like tiny eggs in the substrate near my H. Mac enclosure as well. I more than likely going to need to do a rehouse on all 3. Can anyone tell me how dangerous this is for my T’s? Or if it is at all. I’m assuming during a molt it will take be good, along with just having them in there. How worried should I be? Should I do immediate rehouse or not be crazy worried about this. Please any info will help thank you in advance

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How big are the tarantulas? I have to assume fairly large if they are eating crickets large enough to lay eggs.
I wouldn't rehouse because of a few baby crickets - just let the place dry out a bit and they will die. Baby crickets aren't that hardy.
If you want to avoid this in the future, cut the ovipositor off before putting large females in.

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
A. Seemanni, and H.mac are large females. P. Cambridgei is 3.5 dls. Should I try and remove the eggs from the H.mac enclosure? If I see more eggs should I address this or hope a good drying out will work?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
A. Seemanni, and H.mac are large females. P. Cambridgei is 3.5 dls. Should I try and remove the eggs from the H.mac enclosure? If I see more eggs should I address this or hope a good drying out will work?
If you can easily scoop out the eggs, then I would do it, but I wouldn't worry too much if it means that the tarantula is going to be bothered by it. A good drying out will kill the eggs too. This has happened to me and the baby crickets didn't even last a week with no food or water.

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
If you can easily scoop out the eggs, then I would do it, but I wouldn't worry too much if it means that the tarantula is going to be bothered by it. A good drying out will kill the eggs too. This has happened to me and the baby crickets didn't even last a week with no food or water.
It is really humid right now, so I wonder how long it will take to dry out. I did see them in the water dish. I don’t want to take that from my T’s so they will still have water??

Dannica

Arachnosquire
It is really humid right now, so I wonder how long it will take to dry out. I did see them in the water dish. I don’t want to take that from my T’s so they will still have water??
Honestly they’ll mostly just drown in the water dish anyways.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Don't remove the water dish. If any of the baby crickets find their way into the water, they will likely drown. What the babies need is more damp soil than overall humidity. Let the substrate dry out a bit and they will either die or drown in the water dish.
It's really not a big deal. Baby crickets are not that hardy and conditions really need to be pretty ideal for them to survive. I bet there won't be any evidence of them in a few days at all.

cold blood

Staff member
Freshly hatch crickets offer zero danger. More interesting than anything. Unless you cultivate them by feeding and maintaining them, they will die out rather quickly.

You have nothing to worry about and no reason to re house anything.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Hello all. It’s been a while since I have posted here. So for starters I hope everyone is doing great and loving their T’s! Ok so I woke this morning to find freshly hatched baby crickets in my P. Cambridgei enclosures, and my A. Seemanni enclosure. I also noticed there are what looks like tiny eggs in the substrate near my H. Mac enclosure as well. I more than likely going to need to do a rehouse on all 3. Can anyone tell me how dangerous this is for my T’s? Or if it is at all. I’m assuming during a molt it will take be good, along with just having them in there. How worried should I be? Should I do immediate rehouse or not be crazy worried about this. Please any info will help thank you in advance
I'll never understand... I can't keep crickets alive, but if you lose one in a enclosure you have cricket babies ... Maybe I just need to do more research on keeping them.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
I tried breeding crickets in giant plastic bins to feed some deathstalker scorps. Lol!! What chaos... the smell. Omfg. Haha, but I had 1 kraken cricket. She just grew like no other. Ate crickets like it was her job. I think she was just under 4" when I said this Frankenstein cricket has to go.. not joking about 4".. . She was massive. So I stabbed her with a skewer so I could feed her to the scorp without her putting up too much of a fight.. dude... she lived for 3 days in the enclosure with a giant hole in the middle of her before my scorp finally grabbed her and she still put up a hell of a fight. She was so big, when she tried to jump away she would drag a fully matured Egyptian deathstalker a couple centimeters.. I'll never forget that kraken cricket. Sounds fake.. 10000% true. So I named my scorp perseus for eating it.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I tried breeding crickets in giant plastic bins to feed some deathstalker scorps. Lol!! What chaos... the smell. Omfg. Haha, but I had 1 kraken cricket. She just grew like no other. Ate crickets like it was her job. I think she was just under 4" when I said this Frankenstein cricket has to go.. not joking about 4".. . She was massive. So I stabbed her with a skewer so I could feed her to the scorp without her putting up too much of a fight.. dude... she lived for 3 days in the enclosure with a giant hole in the middle of her before my scorp finally grabbed her and she still put up a hell of a fight. She was so big, when she tried to jump away she would drag a fully matured Egyptian deathstalker a couple centimeters.. I'll never forget that kraken cricket. Sounds fake.. 10000% true. So I named my scorp perseus for eating it.
........:eek:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'll never forget that kraken cricket.
I guy posts because he is concerned that these hatched out crickets are going to harm his tarantula and you respond with a story about this man eating, Godzilla-like, cricket that sounds as if it could devour any tarantula and come back for seconds - after all of us have tried to reassure this guy that he has nothing to worry about.
And you thought this was a good idea, that this was a good post to tell your Godzilla Cricket story on?

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I guy posts because he is concerned that these hatched out crickets are going to harm his tarantula and you respond with a story about this man eating, Godzilla-like, cricket that sounds as if it could devour any tarantula and come back for seconds - after all of us have tried to reassure this guy that he has nothing to worry about.
And you thought this was a good idea, that this was a good post to tell your Godzilla Cricket story on?
It's funny though :rofl: